Trip number 2, coming up

9/6/13 @ 10:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
Lucky to have access to a privately owned cabin on the English River. First trip we did very well on the walleyes averaging about 50 a day in the 20 to 30 inch range. It was hard to find fish small enough to "keep". Only bad thing I can say about the last trip was the ticks, I picked off 15 of them rascals one day! We leave on the 12th and I hope the fishing will be as good as it was back in June. I will post my results when I return.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
6/26/18 @ 6:15 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13

Just returned from two weeks of another great trip.  Fish seemed to be scattered and size was good. Our biggest was 26.5 and caught many in the 18 to 22 inch class. We had a couple of Bear come into our camp and had to be extra careful to get rid of our fish scraps.

Everyone who I fished with was tons of fun and did real well too. Got to make some new friends meet up with old ones.  The weather was pretty good but it did get hot for a few days and we only fished mornings and evenings.  

Post Your Comment
5/31/18 @ 1:12 PM
bigstorm
bigstorm
USER since 1/10/05

We are arrive on 6/23 and leave on the morning of 6/29. I also see the water is pretty low (even lower than last year). There are a few people going up a day before us that we know very well and they are staying in a cabin behind the old lodge too.  While the water will be low, we will still have a great time and catch a lot

Post Your Comment
5/31/18 @ 7:49 AM
fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
USER since 4/17/07
I am very jealous of the guys who get to go up twice a year! I enjoy reading all the Canada reports and pictures.  Right now my group goes every other year which is not enough for me.  Most of the guys in my group do not get nearly as much vacation time as me, they only get about one or two weeks a year, unpaid, so I see why it's harder for them to go.  Every year the group gets smaller and smaller. It used to be about 12 of us, now we are lucky to get more than 4. A lot of the guys don't like the long drive (12 hours) and crossing the border.  They are all older so maybe that's why. I went last summer on sort of a last minute trip (booked it about 3 weeks out in the summer) with just my dad and brother and it was a lot of fun.

I would love to start going twice a year, maybe June and September.  The wife said she will go but I don't think she can handle fishing ALL day and its nice going with someone else to split the costs. We always get a cabin for around $500/ person/ week but many places also offer camping for very reasonable rates.  Might have to start exploring that route, could camp in a tent for around $30 - $40 a night. Life is too short to only fish Canada once a year!

Post Your Comment
5/30/18 @ 7:12 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13

Big storm, have you gone up yet?  Reports are water levels are again very low.  Fish seem to be active and I have heard of being nice size.  I leave in about 10 days. Going to be up there for 2 weeks, if you are there at the same time, stop in.  We are right behind Grassy Narrows lodge in the log cabin.  

Post Your Comment
6/27/17 @ 5:47 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13

This is what we were after!

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 10:26 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13

Maynard Falls is quite a haul.  Been up there a few times but with the gas situation, we stay closer to Grassy.  Indian can get pretty wild getting across when there is a strong westerly wind.  Good luck and stay safe!

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 7:37 PM
bigstorm
bigstorm
USER since 1/10/05

How far upriver did you go? We will make a few trips up to Maynard Falls, Tide Narrows (past Ball Lake Lodge). I know the water is too low to get into Dumpy Lake but there are a few spots over that way too. A lot of our fishing starts at the southeast end of Indian Lake  and from there we work our way upriver.

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 4:50 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13

Dinged my prop a couple times, but it's not too bad, just go slow.   Fish are shallow and the mosquitoes are not too bad yet!  Going out on Lake Emily tonight for Bluegiill!  Sick of eating Walleye!

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 9:03 AM
bigstorm
bigstorm
USER since 1/10/05

I'm heading up there Friday night, should be at Trevor & Bonnie's about noon on Saturday. I see the water level looks to be pretty low and the weather is forecast to be a little cool next week but oh well, it will still be a great trip 

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 7:28 AM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13

I know, my biggest fear is a cavity search!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts