So, any problems crossing the border with the tariff war?

7/11/18 @ 9:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Working Retrievers
Working Retrievers
USER since 5/12/03

Was reading on another site to have all receipts for groceries and other items available to turn over to customs if requested. Any truth to that? Anything in specific they are looking for or asking going into Canada? Heading up next month. 

Thanks!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
7/19/18 @ 4:37 PM
Cronk
Cronk
USER since 4/18/12

According to the US Commerce tarrifs do not impact personal consumption. Tarrifs apply to import export. Unless you are taking 2500 pounds of beef accross the border or some other rediculous quantity of a product than you are fine. Tarrifs will be reflected in the prices you pay for american goods imported to canada and vice versa.

Scott

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 9:46 PM
FishingDad
FishingDad
USER since 9/26/04

Zero truth to it. We were up and back last week thru International Falls. Same questions as usual; where you going? when you coming back? any live bait? any alcohol? any fire arms? Some years it's beef or fruit or vegitables that you can't cross with I just don't bring any of it. We are there to eat fish. You libs need to read news from other media sites. Making news outs of nothing....again.

Go and enjoy your trip as usual.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:53 PM
Edge
Edge
USER since 2/28/07

It's quite funny how the media blows this crap out of proportion.

Nobody cared but the farmers when Canada put that massive tariff on milk.  Most countries have tariffs except the U.S. until now. Time to even out the playing field.

We put tariffs on foreign steel back in the 90s I believe and the world didn't collapse.

The only ones that are stoking the fire is the media. By the way, what happened to the lava flows in Hawaii? Media quits babbling about it and nobody thinks about it.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:38 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

Goju exactly if he was we wouldn't have this problem.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:24 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10

Fitlnder: But Obama's not in office anymore.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:04 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

It would not be in their best interest to deter people from coming since tourism is a huge industry for them. 

True, but when has that stopped them before.  I say that only partly tongue in cheek 

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:01 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

I don't think they are mad at the average person. I think they are pissed at the one that thinks he is the king.

Edited on 7/12/18 7:02 PM
Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 11:21 AM
Bowhunting Guy
Bowhunting Guy
USER since 5/22/18

Bugle, that reminds me of a story. In 2016 I drove all the way to New Brunswick for a Spring black bear hunt. Apparently there is not much traffic crossing from Maine into NB, as the border guards were barely awake when we got there. They were really cool, and we chatted for a while. After a quick inspection of our rifles one of the guards told me that if I shoot a male bear, I absolutely cannot transport the “male genitalia” across the border. I instantly laughed assuming he was joking, but after seeing his expression I realized he was serious. I asked him why, and he said that people actually try to “smuggle” these pieces of anatomy back as conversation pieces or drink stirrers. Evidently it is illegal to do so. 

I did end up shooting a boar, but left the “male part” in Canada. I was never asked about it when crossing back to the US.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 8:18 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I believe the tariffs were in place or at least pending when we crossed the second week of June. We had no issues. Canadian Border Patrol asked us if we'd ever been there, where we were headed, what date we were leaving, if we had food and how much alcohol we had with us.  We answered every question honestly and the lady handed back our passports with a smile and told us to have a great time.  Ironically, on the way back, we were temporarily detained by US Border Patrol for a "routine inspection".  We pulled around to the inspection spot, opened all 4 doors and the tailgate and went inside to answer a bunch of questions including whether or not we handled any livestock (I actually laughed at that question).  The two agents standing by my truck looked around inside but didn't move anything or go through our cooler of fish.  It took about 10 minutes and we were on our way.  This was at the International Falls/Fort Francis crossing.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:39 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16
We had zero problems a couple weeks ago. It would not be in their best interest to deter people from coming since tourism is a huge industry for them. With that being said it might be a good idea to have any necessary receipts handy just in case. You never know because all the border agents are different.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts