Separation Lake Lodge

6/3/14 @ 10:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
rsie102779
rsie102779
USER since 4/15/04
Heading to this place for the first time in a few weeks with my boys and wondering if anyone has been there and has some feedback? Would be great to talk to someone who has been to this (boat in) lodge and/or fished the English River up in this area. thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
7/11/14 @ 6:43 PM
Jackal
Jackal
USER since 5/19/05
No, unfortunately the lake is not mapped yet. I was referring to the follow your line on the blank screen deal. It did make a big difference though. My navigational ineptitude is legendary. We were told the water was at the highest level it has been at since 1986, but it wasn't into the fish cleaning house. Maybe that would have helped drown the mosquitoes.

Post Your Comment
7/11/14 @ 11:42 AM
schon
schon
USER since 3/28/11
Jackal It's been at least 8 years since I've been to separation Lake (Used the campsite once and a nearby cabin the other time). You referenced; "the GPS was a godsend"' Is the lake now "mapped" or are you referring to a blank screen and just following your previous trails and waypoints? We were also there in one highwater year; the cabin had an outbuilding for a freezer and fishcleaning area, but had a foot of water over the floor; we also needed to use boots and planks to reach our boats at dock. We never fished anywhere near that resort, but on the areas "downstream from there".

Post Your Comment
7/10/14 @ 10:02 PM
Jackal
Jackal
USER since 5/19/05
Just returned from SLL. Had an awesome time. The water level is up about 6 feet which made the fishing a little tougher, but helped protect the lower unit from the many hazards on the is expansive body of water. The fish were definitely more active early in the week with rain and wind but still there for the taking as the weather improved. The GPS was a godsend to navigate this body of water. Our group of 6 caught waleye's up to 25 inches, Pike up to 37 inches, and a handful of the largest perch I've seen. The fish seemed to be relating to the weed edges (still in the bays) at 8 -12 ft. I am partial to back trolling crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers and had much luck. Our crawlers died midweek, so we back trolled little joe spinners with a minnow and did good with this rig as well. Jigging also produced for our group. Bright colors were the ticket with sparkle white on the head and tail being the most productive of jigs. I also had luck with chartreuse, and white with pink. Same with the harness blades with perch color working just as well. Leeches also produced fish. Make sure to bring a thermocell. The mosquitoes were brutal. Even in the cabin. But the thermocell knocked them dead out of the air. Nothing short of amazing! Lionel, the sage dock hand provided hands down the best service I have the pleasure of experiencing on a Canadian trip. I would give this resort and fishery 2 thumbs up. The only downside was trip went way too fast.

Edited on 7/10/14 10:04 PM
Post Your Comment
6/6/14 @ 8:02 AM
rsie102779
rsie102779
USER since 4/15/04
Split Shot - sorry you had a bad experience. I have talked to a few guys that have gone there for years and they had really positive things to say. yes, i was told that cabins and motors are older but in reasonable repair. I have fished the English River before (Anderson's Manitou Falls Camp). I have found the river system to be superior to many lakes probably due to the constant current. also nice i think b/c you can almost always get away from the big water/weather to get out fishing. For me - no such year as a bad year in Canada - just some better than others.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 8:13 PM
splitshot2
splitshot2
USER since 9/21/12
rsie102779 I was there 2 years ago. The gravel road was horrible for 20miles. Cabins were ok the fishing was not to good and the motor we had smoked really bad it did not seem to be a really friendly place. Good luck splitshot2

Post Your Comment