Ontario Fishing Trip - What to Bring?

11/15/17 @ 10:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'm headed to Eagle Lake next June for my first trip to Canada to fish.  I've done a lot of research on various lodge websites for what rods, reels, line, jigs and other artificial baits to have with me.  I'm also going to invest in a good rain suit.  I'm pretty much outfitting my dad and I with gear so what other items have you brought, or wish that you would have brought, that made your trip more comfortable, successful or enjoyable?  We'll mainly be targeting walleye, pike and lake trout.  Any specific baits that worked really well for those species?  The place we're staying is a drive to lodge and there's only two of us going so we'll have plenty of room for gear.

The lodge we're staying at is providing all meals, the boat and fish processing so we're covered there.  We're also going to be guided 3 of the 6 days that we'll be fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 30 Posts
11/27/17 @ 8:38 PM
Remi
Remi
USER since 3/23/05

Other lakes we fished heavier jigs, 3/8. However, fishing on Eagle Lake we used light 1/8 jigs even in 28 foot of water. Also, the yellow chartreuse was a great color, anytime of day. Did use green with some success.

Never leave the dock without rain gear or warm clothes, always can take off clothes. Food, drinks, coffee are key, bring a small bucket for easy bathroom breaks.

Post Your Comment
11/22/17 @ 4:26 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I very much appreciate everyone's comments and welcome more.

As I stated earlier, we're not going up to get bombed every night but we do like to enjoy a bevy after a good day of fishing.  I looked into duties for liquor and beer at the border.  The site I found said "$2-3 per bottle of liquor and $1.30 per case of beer" for any alcoholic beverages beyond what you can bring in duty-free.  With beer being $40-50 and liquor $50-60, it sounds like a no-brainer to bring whatever we expect to drink, declare it all and pay whatever the fee is at the border.

I haven't used bottom bouncers for years but I bet those would be great for covering water when searching for active schools.  I have a ton of spinner rigs that I've tied for trolling on Green Bay but I'm guessing the blades on those will be too big for Eagle Lake.  Most have quick change clevises so I can just swap out smaller ones.

Thanks again everyone.

Post Your Comment
11/22/17 @ 3:45 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Good info here.  I go to Canada 8-10 times/year (not to fish).  Bottle of mid-grade booze was about $50-60CAD/Liter yesterday, case of beer is $40-50CAD.  Cigs and chew are $25/pack or tin CAD.  You can only bring 200g chew duty free...about 1 bag of Redman (maybe a couple of tins Cope).

Gas yesterday was $1.22/liter CAD (about $3.50/gal US...not too bad right now).

If you go, scour your vehicle for any loose brass, cartridges or ammo of any kind.  If they find a loose cartridge on a search it will be a problem.  Declare any booze or tobacco...if you don't and get caught, Cha-ching for them.  Don't bring a buck knife, make sure it's obviously a filet knife (that is so stupid, but can cause issues).

Ask your insurance company for a Canadian "yellow" card for insurance on your car and/or boat...they will know what it is.  Not needed at the border, but if you get pulled over the RCMP or OPP will ask for it.

Post Your Comment
11/17/17 @ 5:15 PM
bottoms up
bottoms up
USER since 1/16/02

Good way to locate the walleyes is to use a bottom bouncer with a crawler harness, Troll until you find a school and then throw jigs tipped with night crawlers, minnows or leaches. We take a flat of night crawlers with us in bedding every year, no dirt. Crawlers will work on the perch as well. Usually if you catch some perch you only need to move a couple feet deeper to get the walleyes. 

We take liquor across duty free and pay duty on any extra beer we take, a lot cheaper than buying there. 

Don't leave the dock without your rain gear as showers or storms seem to pop up out of no where on any given day.

Post Your Comment
11/17/17 @ 5:57 AM
cajunmusky
cajunmusky
USER since 8/22/05

BT-

I usually cross the border at night and grab a hotel room in FF, then start out for the last of the drive in the morning-  probably 90% of the resorts are Sat to Sat, so no matter what time you drive on Saturday, you will be bumper to prop with other folks heading to the same place.  The ride from FF to Dryden on 502 used to be about 2 hrs pulling my rig, but the last 2 years 502 has been under construction so it is about 3 hrs because of flaggers.  I suppose if you drove that at night, it would shorten it, and maybe stay at a hotel in Dryden-  the Best Western is okay, big place, decent restaurant, decent sports bar.

Dammit, all I can think about now is sitting on the cabin porch with a plate of perch and a cold Molson watching the sun go down on Eagle-  you rat bastards ruined Tgiving for me!

Post Your Comment
11/16/17 @ 7:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks bucket!

I'm glad I started this thread.  So much good info.

Interesting that spirits are more reasonable than beer.  Wouldn't have guessed that.  We aren't going up there to drink but a nip or two after a day of fishing is sort of tradition for us.

We have a 9.5 hour drive from my folk's place to the lodge so maybe we'll just get our arses out of bed early and hit the border before noon.

Post Your Comment
11/16/17 @ 4:07 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

Also spirits in Canada are similarly priced to US prices after the exchange. Beer is outrageous as a case will run you close to 40 bucks after exchange. We bring a case of beer and buy the whiskey over the border. Just a thought.

Post Your Comment
11/16/17 @ 4:04 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

We drive overnight and get to the border at 9AM. The line moves pretty quickly as they just scan your passports and ask a few questions. I would say the longest it could take is maybe a half an hour. I remember riding up with my dad driving 20 years ago and having to wait a couple hours but technology now allows for the border crossing to run smoother. Just hope that there aren't pissed off border agents wanting to search everyone.

This conversation has officially ruined all of my excitement for hard water season. (joking of course but it has made me look forward to next June even more)

Post Your Comment
11/16/17 @ 3:23 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks cajunmusky,

My dad and I have clean records so we shouldn't have any problem crossing the border.  We've read the border crossing rules and plan to just bring a bottle or two of good whisky or scotch (1L bottles, of course) for sippin' in the evening.  If we want beer, we'll grab it in Dryden as you mentioned.  Thanks for the advice on bringing Canadian currency and filling up at the border. 

The lodge we're staying at goes Saturday to Saturday so we were planning on leaving from my folk's place in N. Wisconsin that Saturday morning.  I read that Saturdays may not be the best day to cross due to heavy traffic and that it's not uncommon to get delayed an hour or so.  Have you crossed on a Saturday?  Would we be better off getting across the border on a Friday evening and staying in a hotel for the night?

Post Your Comment
11/16/17 @ 2:41 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

The skeeters can get bad at night if its calm. You can hear em coming though and you can't night fish on Eagle so you should be fine in that regard. The flies on the other hand are a real pain. I've had em drawing blood through my socks before and they will find you even if there is a good breeze. I leave a spot and have my boat going 50 and they hang onto the carpet for the ride. Then they are right back at buzzing the dome and chomping the ankles.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 30 Posts