Ontario Fishing Trip - What to Bring?

11/15/17 @ 10:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'm headed to Eagle Lake next June for my first trip to Canada to fish.  I've done a lot of research on various lodge websites for what rods, reels, line, jigs and other artificial baits to have with me.  I'm also going to invest in a good rain suit.  I'm pretty much outfitting my dad and I with gear so what other items have you brought, or wish that you would have brought, that made your trip more comfortable, successful or enjoyable?  We'll mainly be targeting walleye, pike and lake trout.  Any specific baits that worked really well for those species?  The place we're staying is a drive to lodge and there's only two of us going so we'll have plenty of room for gear.

The lodge we're staying at is providing all meals, the boat and fish processing so we're covered there.  We're also going to be guided 3 of the 6 days that we'll be fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 48 Posts
6/5/18 @ 1:34 PM
HotPockeT
HotPockeT
USER since 3/18/11

I usually cross in Grand Portage. There is a duty free shop with a money exchange next to it right before you cross the border. Maybe there is one where you are crossing also. But the last few years I havnt exchanged as it wasnt even worth it

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 12:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

OK.  The credit card route was going to be my next question.  If they automatically adjust for the exchange rate, I'll just use that.  Right now the exchange rate is at about 1.27-1.29 depending on the day.  That helps offset the price of a couple of good bottles of Canada's finest.

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 12:29 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

I guess I never even thought about it. I just know when I buy a bottle of whiskey for 30 bucks I usually give them 30 US and get about 6 Canadian back. It seems like they have it all built into their computer system and it calculates it out. I also know when I use a card it also converts it and charges the US rate to the account as well. 

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 12:18 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I probably know the answer to this but does the average business take the exchange rate into account when accepting USD?

You can wait to reply once you've stopped laughing.  I'm new to the Canadian experience.

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 12:04 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

Everywhere takes American cash. I have never exchanged any currencies and never been rejected for not having Canadian money. The only problem is they give you colorful Canadian money in change.

Otherwise I think I remember seeing some currency exchanges in International Falls. I believe it is on the east side of 53 just as you get into town. I could be wrong about that though.

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 11:53 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I went to my credit union at lunch time today to exchange some currency.  They need to order it from another bank and it likely won't be here until after I leave plus they would charge me the US dollars and an $8 fee to boot.  So I waited too long and that's no longer an option.

Are there places to exchange money in International Falls or Fort Francis?

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 7:02 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks Ed.  I was overlooking the obvious.

My fishing trips with my dad over the past decade or so have been a blessing.  We were not close when I was a young, know-it-all asshole.  Glad to be able to spend time with him now that I realize that he isn't a moron.  LOL.

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 6:29 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15

The best thing you can bring is your dad as you are going to have the time of your life. Take plenty of pictures. Every once in I get out my photo aublem and feel like I am once again fishing with my dad.  Great memories!!!! 

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
1/4/18 @ 8:16 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks.  I won't bother with the Navionics app for Canada.  As mentioned, I'll get some time to chat with the lodge owner and some of his pro staff at the All-Canada Show coming up in a couple weeks.  I'll find out if their units have GPS.  They have evening sessions with guides and other guests to share info and mark up maps so we'll have that.  I have a website that gives fairly accurate GPS coordinates so I can just plug them into my old Garmin for reference and then also use it to keep from getting lost.

Post Your Comment
1/4/18 @ 8:06 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

Navionics mapping is 10 ft contours on this lake. I was pretty pissed when I forked over for the Canada chip and had that happen. All other area lakes for some reason show 1 ft contours. You would think Eagle being so popular would have a better map on Navionics. Maybe AML will have a better gps setup that I haven't found. I just use the GPS so I don't get lost when taking a nice 45 min boat ride. (tons of islands and narrow channels to navigate) I also have marked some under water rocks so I don't hit them. I really don't use it for structure fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 48 Posts