Ontario Fishing Trip - What to Bring?

11/15/17 @ 10:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'm headed to Eagle Lake next June for my first trip to Canada to fish.  I've done a lot of research on various lodge websites for what rods, reels, line, jigs and other artificial baits to have with me.  I'm also going to invest in a good rain suit.  I'm pretty much outfitting my dad and I with gear so what other items have you brought, or wish that you would have brought, that made your trip more comfortable, successful or enjoyable?  We'll mainly be targeting walleye, pike and lake trout.  Any specific baits that worked really well for those species?  The place we're staying is a drive to lodge and there's only two of us going so we'll have plenty of room for gear.

The lodge we're staying at is providing all meals, the boat and fish processing so we're covered there.  We're also going to be guided 3 of the 6 days that we'll be fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts
11/30/17 @ 5:08 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

The extra spools of line is a great tip.  I have a dozen or so of spinnerbaits so I think I'm good there.  I am going to buy a bunch of replacement skirts in various colors to match the hatch if need be.  I literally have hundreds of jigheads so I think I am covered.  I have found that chartreuse, blue, black and unpainted are the recommended colors for Eagle Lake so I may grab a few extra packs of those.

Cabelas has their Daredevil-style spoons on sale right now.  What sizes do you all use?  I have a handful of them that are 3 1/2" or smaller.  Should I stock up on some bigger ones?  If so, how big?  They have 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" spoons.

Post Your Comment
11/30/17 @ 4:18 PM
fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
USER since 4/17/07
One thing I always do before going to Canada is I go to Walmart and grab a few extra spools of fishing line. I use power pro on all of my setups. A few snags in deep water or a bad cast on the baitcaster and you can go through line pretty quick.  I also grab some extra spinnerbaits and extra jig heads.  I typically don't need this stuff but it is nice to have as it is more expensive up there and can be hard to find. I keep all of this stuff in the walmart bag with the reciept then when I get home I go return any of it I didn't use.

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 8:19 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

I should have mentioned they sell some rapid dissolving TP made for septics that will save the trip if ya know what I mean.

On the booze end of it, I like to try some good Canadian whiskey that you can't get here in the states. I can't remember which ones I have tried but last year I paid $26 US for 750mL. It was a brand I had never heard of but was delicious. Exchange rate right now is $1.28 to $1 so that helps offset the excess cost of liquor.

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 11:13 AM
csbadvisor
csbadvisor
USER since 12/1/09

Two thoughts on recent comments

1. The toilet paper supplied by the camps is intended for use with septic systems.  The Charmin may feel better but a clogged up septic is no fun

2.  Declaring excess liquor at the border and paying your fee is not as simple as it sounds.  You must pull over and go into the building to pay.  This process can be time consuming.  You may be happier leaving a little more $$ in Canada and not dealing with the delay. 

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 7:54 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

I forgot. All the lodges that I have stayed at provide 1 ply sandpaper TP. If you want to be comfortable in that regard I would recommend bringing some nice Charmin.

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 8:38 PM
Remi
Remi
USER since 3/23/05

Other lakes we fished heavier jigs, 3/8. However, fishing on Eagle Lake we used light 1/8 jigs even in 28 foot of water. Also, the yellow chartreuse was a great color, anytime of day. Did use green with some success.

Never leave the dock without rain gear or warm clothes, always can take off clothes. Food, drinks, coffee are key, bring a small bucket for easy bathroom breaks.

Post Your Comment
11/22/17 @ 4:26 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I very much appreciate everyone's comments and welcome more.

As I stated earlier, we're not going up to get bombed every night but we do like to enjoy a bevy after a good day of fishing.  I looked into duties for liquor and beer at the border.  The site I found said "$2-3 per bottle of liquor and $1.30 per case of beer" for any alcoholic beverages beyond what you can bring in duty-free.  With beer being $40-50 and liquor $50-60, it sounds like a no-brainer to bring whatever we expect to drink, declare it all and pay whatever the fee is at the border.

I haven't used bottom bouncers for years but I bet those would be great for covering water when searching for active schools.  I have a ton of spinner rigs that I've tied for trolling on Green Bay but I'm guessing the blades on those will be too big for Eagle Lake.  Most have quick change clevises so I can just swap out smaller ones.

Thanks again everyone.

Post Your Comment
11/22/17 @ 3:45 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Good info here.  I go to Canada 8-10 times/year (not to fish).  Bottle of mid-grade booze was about $50-60CAD/Liter yesterday, case of beer is $40-50CAD.  Cigs and chew are $25/pack or tin CAD.  You can only bring 200g chew duty free...about 1 bag of Redman (maybe a couple of tins Cope).

Gas yesterday was $1.22/liter CAD (about $3.50/gal US...not too bad right now).

If you go, scour your vehicle for any loose brass, cartridges or ammo of any kind.  If they find a loose cartridge on a search it will be a problem.  Declare any booze or tobacco...if you don't and get caught, Cha-ching for them.  Don't bring a buck knife, make sure it's obviously a filet knife (that is so stupid, but can cause issues).

Ask your insurance company for a Canadian "yellow" card for insurance on your car and/or boat...they will know what it is.  Not needed at the border, but if you get pulled over the RCMP or OPP will ask for it.

Post Your Comment
11/17/17 @ 5:15 PM
bottoms up
bottoms up
USER since 1/16/02

Good way to locate the walleyes is to use a bottom bouncer with a crawler harness, Troll until you find a school and then throw jigs tipped with night crawlers, minnows or leaches. We take a flat of night crawlers with us in bedding every year, no dirt. Crawlers will work on the perch as well. Usually if you catch some perch you only need to move a couple feet deeper to get the walleyes. 

We take liquor across duty free and pay duty on any extra beer we take, a lot cheaper than buying there. 

Don't leave the dock without your rain gear as showers or storms seem to pop up out of no where on any given day.

Post Your Comment
11/17/17 @ 5:57 AM
cajunmusky
cajunmusky
USER since 8/22/05

BT-

I usually cross the border at night and grab a hotel room in FF, then start out for the last of the drive in the morning-  probably 90% of the resorts are Sat to Sat, so no matter what time you drive on Saturday, you will be bumper to prop with other folks heading to the same place.  The ride from FF to Dryden on 502 used to be about 2 hrs pulling my rig, but the last 2 years 502 has been under construction so it is about 3 hrs because of flaggers.  I suppose if you drove that at night, it would shorten it, and maybe stay at a hotel in Dryden-  the Best Western is okay, big place, decent restaurant, decent sports bar.

Dammit, all I can think about now is sitting on the cabin porch with a plate of perch and a cold Molson watching the sun go down on Eagle-  you rat bastards ruined Tgiving for me!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts