MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Ontario Fishing Trip - What to Bring?

11/15/17 @ 11:52 AM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I'm headed to Eagle Lake next June for my first trip to Canada to fish.  I've done a lot of research on various lodge websites for what rods, reels, line, jigs and other artificial baits to have with me.  I'm also going to invest in a good rain suit.  I'm pretty much outfitting my dad and I with gear so what other items have you brought, or wish that you would have brought, that made your trip more comfortable, successful or enjoyable?  We'll mainly be targeting walleye, pike and lake trout.  Any specific baits that worked really well for those species?  The place we're staying is a drive to lodge and there's only two of us going so we'll have plenty of room for gear.

The lodge we're staying at is providing all meals, the boat and fish processing so we're covered there.  We're also going to be guided 3 of the 6 days that we'll be fishing.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 48 posts
6/20/18 @ 11:19 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

As for using credit card vs cash...I've withdrawn currency at ATM in Dryden and Vermillion Bay receiving Canadian dollars. The banks automatically give you the current exchange rate. Today's exchange rate is $1 US Dollar = $1.33 Canadian (per Bank of Canada)

6/18/18 @ 1:52 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06

As for jig and minnow, just keep in mind that if you go far north plastics work very well and live minnows can be hard to get and keep. Twenty years and we have not used minnows on any of our trips because we don't have to. Some crawlers and leeches later in the season.

6/18/18 @ 9:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.  We had a blast and as expected, I totally over-killed on the gear that we brought but there were only two of us in a 1/2 ton pickup so we had the room.  I knew that if I didn't bring something along, we'd need it so I had 14 rods, three tackle boxes and a tote with spare gear.  Some of the regulars at the lodge were watching us unload and we got a lot of "rookie" looks from them.  Ha!  

Jigs and minnows caught 99% of the fish.  I think we'll be safe taking the car next time as the gear tally will include 2-3 rods a piece and one tackle box with an assortment of jigs, some spinner rigs and a few rattlin' raps and husky jerks.  I bought a nice assortment of plastic grubs, twister tails, jerk minnows, boot tails and ring worms and never opened a package.  Guess I'll be well stocked on those for years to come.

I didn't exchange any currency.  Cabela's Visa does that automatically and there's no fee.  Only used it once at the LCBO for a case of Molson.

6/11/18 @ 8:20 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

A bottle of Crown is 26.95 Canadian dollars. JP Wisers Deluxe is 28.95. At least that's what it says online and what I have noticed in the past when I stop in. Most of the bottles of Canadian stuff are reasonably priced. And with the exchange it ends up being priced similar to here in the states. Beer on the other hand is a slap in the ass. 45 Canadian for a 28 case of Molson. Yikes.

6/10/18 @ 11:56 AM
cle
User since 3/7/15

AS far as beer or whiskey stop at the duty free store. Can't beat their prices anywhere.

6/10/18 @ 7:52 AM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10

I have a capital one credit card that has no foreign transaction fees. So I use that as much as possible. Most businesses will take US funds but there exchange rate is never as good as what you get on the credit card.I go up a lot so at the start of summer I do exchange a few bucks at Rydens at the border just in case. Rydens have a better rate than what I can get from my bank back home.

6/6/18 @ 5:49 AM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

Another option if you do want to have cash is pull it from an ATM. May have to pay a couple dollars to do so. 

6/5/18 @ 2:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I sent a message via my card's customer service link asking if I need to confirm with them that I will be using it in Canada as well as if they charge a exchange fee.  It's through Cabelas Club Visa so I'm guess I'm not the first Cabelas customer to go fishing in Canada.

6/5/18 @ 2:45 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
My credit card has no foreign transaction fee on it so that's what I always use when I'm out of country.  Just make sure to tell your bank first or they will shut your card off after the first purchase!  Back when I lived in Alaska I was driving from Juneau to Fairbanks but you have to go through Canada to get there.  Its about 7 hours of driving in Canada before going back into Alaska. We were planning on exchanging money before we crossed in a border town but forgot it was a Sunday and banks were closed.  Used credit card in the Yukon Territory and found out when I went to gas up again it was shut off.  No cell service so got to go around and try to find a phone to call bank which took a while.
6/5/18 @ 2:34 PM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

I usually cross in Grand Portage. There is a duty free shop with a money exchange next to it right before you cross the border. Maybe there is one where you are crossing also. But the last few years I havnt exchanged as it wasnt even worth it

6/5/18 @ 1:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

OK.  The credit card route was going to be my next question.  If they automatically adjust for the exchange rate, I'll just use that.  Right now the exchange rate is at about 1.27-1.29 depending on the day.  That helps offset the price of a couple of good bottles of Canada's finest.

6/5/18 @ 1:29 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

I guess I never even thought about it. I just know when I buy a bottle of whiskey for 30 bucks I usually give them 30 US and get about 6 Canadian back. It seems like they have it all built into their computer system and it calculates it out. I also know when I use a card it also converts it and charges the US rate to the account as well. 

6/5/18 @ 1:18 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I probably know the answer to this but does the average business take the exchange rate into account when accepting USD?

You can wait to reply once you've stopped laughing.  I'm new to the Canadian experience.

6/5/18 @ 1:04 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

Everywhere takes American cash. I have never exchanged any currencies and never been rejected for not having Canadian money. The only problem is they give you colorful Canadian money in change.

Otherwise I think I remember seeing some currency exchanges in International Falls. I believe it is on the east side of 53 just as you get into town. I could be wrong about that though.

6/5/18 @ 12:53 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I went to my credit union at lunch time today to exchange some currency.  They need to order it from another bank and it likely won't be here until after I leave plus they would charge me the US dollars and an $8 fee to boot.  So I waited too long and that's no longer an option.

Are there places to exchange money in International Falls or Fort Francis?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 48 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE