Ontario Fishing Trip - What to Bring?

11/15/17 @ 11:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'm headed to Eagle Lake next June for my first trip to Canada to fish.  I've done a lot of research on various lodge websites for what rods, reels, line, jigs and other artificial baits to have with me.  I'm also going to invest in a good rain suit.  I'm pretty much outfitting my dad and I with gear so what other items have you brought, or wish that you would have brought, that made your trip more comfortable, successful or enjoyable?  We'll mainly be targeting walleye, pike and lake trout.  Any specific baits that worked really well for those species?  The place we're staying is a drive to lodge and there's only two of us going so we'll have plenty of room for gear.

The lodge we're staying at is providing all meals, the boat and fish processing so we're covered there.  We're also going to be guided 3 of the 6 days that we'll be fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
2/26/18 @ 8:02 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks Ed.  I was overlooking the obvious.

My fishing trips with my dad over the past decade or so have been a blessing.  We were not close when I was a young, know-it-all asshole.  Glad to be able to spend time with him now that I realize that he isn't a moron.  LOL.

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 7:29 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15

The best thing you can bring is your dad as you are going to have the time of your life. Take plenty of pictures. Every once in I get out my photo aublem and feel like I am once again fishing with my dad.  Great memories!!!! 

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
1/4/18 @ 9:16 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Thanks.  I won't bother with the Navionics app for Canada.  As mentioned, I'll get some time to chat with the lodge owner and some of his pro staff at the All-Canada Show coming up in a couple weeks.  I'll find out if their units have GPS.  They have evening sessions with guides and other guests to share info and mark up maps so we'll have that.  I have a website that gives fairly accurate GPS coordinates so I can just plug them into my old Garmin for reference and then also use it to keep from getting lost.

Post Your Comment
1/4/18 @ 9:06 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

Navionics mapping is 10 ft contours on this lake. I was pretty pissed when I forked over for the Canada chip and had that happen. All other area lakes for some reason show 1 ft contours. You would think Eagle being so popular would have a better map on Navionics. Maybe AML will have a better gps setup that I haven't found. I just use the GPS so I don't get lost when taking a nice 45 min boat ride. (tons of islands and narrow channels to navigate) I also have marked some under water rocks so I don't hit them. I really don't use it for structure fishing.

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 6:16 PM
Rickmustfish
Rickmustfish
USER since 1/2/18

Fished Eagle Lake one time maybe 10 years ago all I can tell you is dr. Spoon was the ticket for Northerns various sizes brass and silver were the colors as far as walleye jig and a minnow if it's at the end of June if you can find leeches jigging leech also got 4 and 5 lb Northerns off the dock using a white sassy shad no bait hope this helps you good luck have fun

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 3:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

What about GPS?  I'll be going to see the lodge owners of the place we're going in a couple of weeks and plan to ask if they're upgraded boats have GPS on their Lowrance locators.  If not, I can either bring an old Garmin 44X that's nearly 20 years old but still works great, hope they have cell signal nearby and use Navionics on my phone, pony up for a new hand-held mapping unit or just go without.  What are your experiences with needing GPS up there?

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 3:30 PM
HotPockeT
HotPockeT
USER since 3/18/11

Bring some good insulated rubber boots to go with your rain gear.  I fish lake nipigon end of june and its a must.  Even for travel in a smaller boat with water splashing over the side

Pike fishing I throw bucher shallow raider in perch color 80% of the time. Perch colored bucktails usually the rest. 

Post Your Comment
11/30/17 @ 6:08 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

The extra spools of line is a great tip.  I have a dozen or so of spinnerbaits so I think I'm good there.  I am going to buy a bunch of replacement skirts in various colors to match the hatch if need be.  I literally have hundreds of jigheads so I think I am covered.  I have found that chartreuse, blue, black and unpainted are the recommended colors for Eagle Lake so I may grab a few extra packs of those.

Cabelas has their Daredevil-style spoons on sale right now.  What sizes do you all use?  I have a handful of them that are 3 1/2" or smaller.  Should I stock up on some bigger ones?  If so, how big?  They have 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" spoons.

Post Your Comment
11/30/17 @ 5:18 PM
fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
USER since 4/17/07
One thing I always do before going to Canada is I go to Walmart and grab a few extra spools of fishing line. I use power pro on all of my setups. A few snags in deep water or a bad cast on the baitcaster and you can go through line pretty quick.  I also grab some extra spinnerbaits and extra jig heads.  I typically don't need this stuff but it is nice to have as it is more expensive up there and can be hard to find. I keep all of this stuff in the walmart bag with the reciept then when I get home I go return any of it I didn't use.

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 9:19 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

I should have mentioned they sell some rapid dissolving TP made for septics that will save the trip if ya know what I mean.

On the booze end of it, I like to try some good Canadian whiskey that you can't get here in the states. I can't remember which ones I have tried but last year I paid $26 US for 750mL. It was a brand I had never heard of but was delicious. Exchange rate right now is $1.28 to $1 so that helps offset the excess cost of liquor.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts