New to Musky fishing- What lures should I keep in my tackle box?

1/1/14 @ 12:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
dgorman13
dgorman13
USER since 9/29/13
Hello everyone- I caught my first Musky on accident fishing for pike at Lake Vermilion this past September and now I'm hooked. I've booked a trip to Ontario for August, and I know it's early, real early, but I want to start bulking up my tackle box now. I've got about $500.00 to spend on Musky lures, I thought that was a lot of money( I normally fish for Lg. Bass) to spend on lures, but then I started to do some research... Does anyone have any recommendations for the basics that should be in my tackle box? Thanks in advance! - Dennis Gorman
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
4/7/16 @ 7:36 AM
BornToFish1
BornToFish1
USER since 3/5/13
That's the article! Thanks for finding it. The majority of my musky fishing is in north west Ontario. Steve put a TON of wisdom in his article.

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 6:23 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
http://www.muskie411.com/ten-for-canada/

found the article borntofish mentioned

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 5:22 PM
CHISEL
CHISEL
USER since 6/19/01
Great comments!! Listen to these guys buying muskie lures and equipment is a sickness or disease. Be forewarned you will spend a butt load of money on lures if you get hooked and still catch all most of your fish on a few lures. I have way too many myself. Years ago a well known guide told me the best muskie lure is the one you have the most confidence in. How true that is!! I have my confidence in certain lures and these guys just listed theirs. This theory holds true in every kind of fishing walleye,musky,bass,or whatever. Confidence in your lure is the key. Try not to spend a fortune finding it like most of us already have.

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 12:44 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
dgorman...do you know anyone that fishes for muskies?

ask them to borrow baits. every serious muskie fisherman I know has about 400 baits they rarely use. I bet they would be willing to put together a decent box of lures for canada. that way you can figure out a few confidence baits. Confidence in a lure is 70% of the battle.

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 8:25 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
quit now while you still can.

Post Your Comment
5/29/14 @ 10:23 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
We fish stained water, so vibration is important. Chartrusse/black Buchertail, firetiger Slopmaster, orange/black Supervibrex. Single strand steel leader, 80# powerpro, 8-0 rods, musky net, hook removal tools.

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 10:16 AM
J-Man 2.0
J-Man 2.0
USER since 4/16/14
If you were fishing Lake of the Woods I would suggest:

Double 8 and Double 10 bucktail.

2 ounce spinner baits. One willow single, one tandem Colorado.

Big Mamma Twisted Sister Clicker Topwater.

Depth Raider Crank bait.

Suick.

Hellhound.

If you like to fish rubber, bring one.

Some kind of WTD topwater.

Headlock for trolling.

A slow moving topwater like a hawg wobbler or creeper.

With these, you will have every situation covered. You will spend more money than you need to on way more baits than you will use, but why should you be any different from the rest of us.

Good luck!

Post Your Comment
1/14/14 @ 1:10 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Back to the reels....I will 200% agree if your going to buy Cowgirls and other big double blade tails, you may want to invest in a low ratio reel like a Revo Winch.

That's going to eat up half of your budget, but throwing those baits with a standard ratio reel for a week is not going to be fun.

Or I would recommend sticking with single blade bucktails (which still catch plenty of fish) or go with doubles no bigger than #8 's.

Edited on 1/14/14 1:11 PM
Post Your Comment
1/8/14 @ 7:30 PM
fishguidealso
fishguidealso
USER since 2/5/10
Everybody's comments are great.specially about the rods and reels. I've seen quit a few of my guests get in my boat with inadequate gear.reeling double cowgirls with the wrong geared reel will ruin your day.there's lots of good reels out there and you will have to pay the price.Abu Garcia's winch is decently priced and worth it.I would also go with a 8'or 8'6"" rod.I wouldn'tgo any smaller, they cast better and eeasier to do figure 8's. Where are you going to be fishing here in Ontario.also most muskie hunters like the fall.not sure why.just to gain a few pounds on a fall fish.there pretty aggressive once the season opens.august is a very good to catch them.weed beds are green and lush and have reached the surface, awesome time for topwaters.one lure I didn't see mentioned was a krave Jr. They don't cost much but a good lure on the vermilion bay area lakes.good luck on your adventure.

Post Your Comment
1/8/14 @ 12:16 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
I know you are gung ho on lures, who isn't, but if you are starting out, get the basics down first.

#1, get good line. Vicious, PowerPro, something like that. Probably 80 pound line. #2, get good leaders. Stealth has some good ones. Don't skimp here. Terminal tackle keeps the big ones pinned. #3 and probably most important, make sure to have a good, large net. Knipex tool (for cutting hooks), long needle nose pliers, jaw spreader and scissors (for cutting line).

It would be a shame to catch one only to harm it in the net or have it float belly up because hooks didn't come out quickly enough.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts