Manion Lake

5/21/12 @ 12:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Coyote Hunter
Coyote Hunter
USER since 2/1/12
I just booked a five day stay at Hyatt's Manion Lake Lodge, from August 5th - 10th. I was there a few years ago in June as that is where we ended a Boy Scouts canoe trip. We fished a littlle there so I know there are big Smallies and abundant Walleye. Can anyone share any other info. We are not into fishing much but this is a birthday present for my son and I think this might just get him hooked on fishing. Do I need special permission from my wife to cross into Canada with my son? I know we needed it for the scouts. We are bringing our own boat and any tips on live bait versus artificial would be appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 200 Posts
9/12/18 @ 6:47 PM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01

A late Canadian fishing report for the week of  aug 23-Sept 1 out of Hyatts Mount lake outpost camp.

WEATHER: great weather to start the trip(highs in the mid 70°/low 80°) until the E.N.E. winds blew in,& high temps dropped(mid 50°/mid 60°)End of the week brought back S.W. winds,& warmer temps.

BUGS: non-issue

Walleyes: a good jig bite with crawlers,or minnows on mid lake structure in 18'-24' of water best.

fished Manion lake on the way out,& got into a good amount of Walleyes pitching jigs/live bait on the rocks.

Pike: good bite casting or while jigging for Walleyes on or near structure.

Smallies: slow bite this year as they were all over the water column. Most caught on deep offshore rock.

Lake Trout: a very slow bite for us this year,as we only fished them twice mid week.

Over all,another awesome time(23rd year)with just my wife,& I.

LG65,....was great to see you again.

Great job building the new "Island Resort"!

Back up June 2019!

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 12:03 PM
Chipriverrat
Chipriverrat
USER since 3/21/16

Just got back from Hyatts, a group of 6 of us arrived Wednesday night.  Fishing started off slow but picked up by the weekend.  Lake Trout fishing was better than normal, we found fish suspended over deeper water and caught them trolling with down-riggers.  Biggest was 24".  It was very obvious on the electronics where they were staging.   Walleye were found adjacent to mid-lake structure around 25'.  Very windy weather, followed by rain is how we started the trip.  It ended with sunny skies and better vertical jigging conditions which helped out.  Small mouth fishing was slow but we didn't spend too much time fishing for them.    

Post Your Comment
8/23/18 @ 3:55 AM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01

North bound,.......walleyes beware!

Post Your Comment
8/20/18 @ 9:29 AM
Chipriverrat
Chipriverrat
USER since 3/21/16

FishHook, I sent you a PM.

Headed up next week.  I will post a report once we get back!

Post Your Comment
7/30/18 @ 5:00 PM
rlarsenWI
rlarsenWI
USER since 7/30/18

Hi all,

My family and I are making our first trip to Manion lake next week and I'm starting to get a little nervous about the walleye fishing.  In the past we fished on a lake near Red Lake and it was a walleye factory.  I was planning to look for structure and jig or troll and go from there.  Anyone have any specific tips for the lake to get us started?

Thanks for your help.

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 8:58 PM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01

LG65,

We left Pettit cabin after back to back major storms in 2014,and now stay at Mount outpost cabin twice a year.

here is some carnage of the "big storm".

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 5:05 PM
Lawn Guy 65
Lawn Guy 65
USER since 2/20/18

Thanks FH

Yes you will. Are you staying at Pettit? We tent camped there when I was a kid. It is a nice spot.

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 4:52 AM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01

Safe travels LG65,

see you in 35 days!

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 4:47 AM
Lawn Guy 65
Lawn Guy 65
USER since 2/20/18

Thanks Cub,

I'll give it a try. Will report back.

Post Your Comment
7/18/18 @ 10:27 PM
Cub
Cub
USER since 9/4/02

Hey LG65,

It's a pretty simple method, I'll try and explain it the best I can.  It will work with walleye and smalley, I like it with pike and of course lake trout.

For 2 fillets trout:

Leave the skin on the fillets. Place the amount of foil needed for the fillets on the grill and fold up the sides slightly.  Preheat gas grill to medium for 10 minutes. Lay the fillets on the foil.  Mix together 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 small clove fresh garlic minced, 2 large leaves fresh basil sliced fine, 2 tsp honey.  Drizzle the dressing over the fillets with a spoon.  Sprinkle Old Bay Seasoning over all of the fillets to your taste.  Close lid and check in about 10-15 minutes.  Depending on the thickness of the fillets, the time will vary.  The fish will flake and start to pull away slightly on the sides.  When done, use a spatula and lift the meat from the skin.  The skin should stick to the grill.  I usually scrape away the brown flesh that is in between the meat and skin.  Serve it with a squeeze of fresh lemon!  Pay attention and watch for pin bones that run the length of the fillet.

For Walleye, Smallmouth and Northern Pike:

Remove any skin and bones, including the pesky Y bones from the pike.  Again, place the foil over the grill.  Drizzle olive oil on the foil and spread it around. Place the fillets on the foil and drizzle the dressing over and season just like I described for the trout.  The cook time will likely be a little less, and the fish will flake apart when done.  The fillets should lift easily off the foil.  

The foil should be carefully folded for a quick clean up.

Either of these methods could be completed in a 350* oven on a sheet pan if needed.

I hope this helps, have a great trip.  Cub

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 200 Posts