Late Summer In Northwest Ontario

4/5/15 @ 6:19 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Farcast1
Farcast1
USER since 4/6/07
Traditionally when I've gone to Canada it's normally been mid-May with the exception of one late fall trip. This year our group is going up the last week up August. I'm wondering what the fishing patterns are like at that time of year. I'm sure it varies year to year, but are the fish typically in more of a summer pattern or are they closer to a fall pattern. We'll primarily be fishing for walleyes, smallmouth and northerns. At that time of the year are the fish generally found a bit deeper still at that time? Any feedback is appreciated. I'm over four months away, but I'm already getting the itch.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
4/10/15 @ 6:29 PM
shagboy
shagboy
USER since 8/4/03
I fish the middle to late August every year for the past 20 years now. I have found out it really depends on the year as to how deep the fish are. If the water temp are in the upper 60s we have caught walleyes in 9 to 12 feet. When the water temps are down in the low 60s we found the fish down deep, as far down as 40 feet, I would say over the years on average we found walleye to be in that 16 to 20 foot range. Jig and night crawlers work ,if you can find leaches they work. If you want to troll. Try trolling crawler harnesses. pike will be in the greenest weed you can find next to deep water. cast spoons and stick baits. smallies will be on the mid lake rock reefs

Edited on 4/10/15 6:32 PM
Post Your Comment
4/6/15 @ 8:26 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06
The walleyes will be less scattered and you have to work harder to find them. Also, they are generally deeper. I may fish 6-12 ft in July and often 20-35 ft in late August. While most jig and twisters catch fish in July, you have to try different presentations in late August. The camp owner where I go says the summer patterns start to end in early August. After that, many of his lake trout fishermen complain that they are catching many walleyes in deep water while fishing for lake trout. The fall pattern is more pronounced in deeper lakes. Good luck!

Post Your Comment