lac des mille lacs LDML

1/5/10 @ 5:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Planocat
Planocat
USER since 6/12/06
OK, so I think I have this figured out. Any posts that are not pure fishing reports have to be posted on this forum in order to keep from being dusted. Fair enough, I guess. So, in the future we need to check here until the season opens and we can start to post/receive actual reports.

Basically it means there will be nothing on the other location for stretches of 7 months or more. But at least we can keep in touch here.

Now how do we get that word out? I'll try posting it at the other site and hope it doesn't get dusted.

Planocat Big Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,847 Posts
7/20/18 @ 12:52 PM
Summitdave
Summitdave
USER since 7/22/05

benelli1,

Leaving tomorrow morning for OBL@LDML.

Will give you a call and post when we return.

Dave

Post Your Comment
7/16/18 @ 10:42 AM
benelli1
benelli1
USER since 7/14/17

We fished the week of July 6-13.  Stayed at Pine Point resort.  Most in our group of 10 have never fished in Canada.  No one ever fished LDML.  A big shout out to candofish, David AP and Summit Dave.  All were very helpful and provided a ton of information on baits to use, places to fish etc....  In short the walleye fishing was less than expected, smallies were better than expected and pike were as expected.  We simply could never find the walleyes with consistency.  We would catch 2-3 and have to move.  I am sure the recent mayfly hatch had a big impact on our success.  Biggest walleye caught was 23 inches, anything over 18 was released. We tried every bait and technique and fished Bolton bay, rabbit island, fisherman's island and everything around Pine point.  I believe we landed on average 3 walleye per boat per day.  We landed on average 50 smallies per boat each day.  Any rocky bank and a little shade would hold fish. As expected pike were caught anywhere and everywhere.  Biggest takeaways from this experience:

-I think we might have picked a bad week (lots of empty cabins at pinepoint)

-Felice (new owner of pinepoint in November was very helpful and put us on fish a couple days)

-Gold jig head was the color to use for worms or minnow

-themacell does not work on biting black flies, you must use bug spray

-Had a great time and we will be back

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 8:24 AM
Illinois Angler
Illinois Angler
USER since 6/5/07

Hi John, We went up the end of May and back again the first week of July. We had our fish checked both times coming back. Really no problem, both times it didn’t take long, we had the cooler in back of our truck and they didn’t take the cover off the boat. Also they want the drain plug pulled out on the boat. Have a good trip.

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 7:10 AM
JohnFL
JohnFL
USER since 6/16/10

Leaving Friday for Lac Des Mille Lodge.  Has anyone had any hassles at the border? 

Looks like lake levels are up.  They pulled a log from the dam so there will be some flow thru the lake..

Post Your Comment
6/21/18 @ 10:45 AM
clayshooter
clayshooter
MEMBER since 12/5/02

Spent the week of June 9th to the 16th at Lac Des Mille Lodge. Water was about a foot low with temps hitting 70 by the end of the week. Fishing was nothing less than spectacular. Found fish everywhere. Best fishing was in 8 to 10 feet of water but by Friday they were in 12 foot range. Lot's of fish in the 17 to 21 inch range. Everything 19 and up went back into the lake. Some of the best fishing I've seen in years! Good luck to Rob & Rylie, they have a tough act to follow.

Post Your Comment
6/20/18 @ 8:20 PM
Sturgeon_General
Sturgeon_General
USER since 4/1/06

Just returned from LDML- a great trip. Water levels are now normal, conditions fine. We had our limits by the second day and ate like kings for the week. had 2 walleyes over 24", several 21 to 23, with most fish 16" to 19". Obviously most released. The new owners of the Lodge are very dedicated, and accommodating. Rob and Riley will do well. Most of our fish were caught on 1/4 oz jigs or Lindy rigs. We fished from below Honkonen narrows to the Seine river dam. Best of luck to the new owners of the Lodge and all fishermen.....SG 

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 1:31 PM
sen
sen
USER since 7/9/09

We booked another week at OBL July 14-21. We used to go in mid July and did great. It'll be fun to get into the smallies a little more. Hopefully the weather pattern and fishing patterns stabilize between now and then.

Post Your Comment
6/10/18 @ 7:10 PM
JohnFL
JohnFL
USER since 6/16/10

We have been fishing the 3rd week of July the last few years.  Staying at LDM Lodge, the camp is very quiet that week.  However, the walleye fishing is just fine.  Last year our limit if Walleye was pretty much set in the freezer by Thursday night.  Made one more morning trip out on Friday and caught and released 40 before we came in at noon. 

I think as the water levels return to normal this year I would guess the fishing will too. 

Post Your Comment
6/10/18 @ 6:40 AM
sen
sen
USER since 7/9/09

We are thinking of going in late July. Wonder if the summer pattern would be better. Any reports of the past week?

Post Your Comment
6/4/18 @ 7:01 PM
mrctech
mrctech
USER since 6/7/13

We fish mostly north and west of Honkenen Narrows. I think that there may be a bit of current starting up there and all the way to the Seine river dam. I think you should see better fishing than we did. 

I head back up to LDML on July 27th for another week and the fishing has always treated us well. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,847 Posts