How much bait?

8/4/15 @ 8:25 AM
ORIGINAL POST
sweeperq
sweeperq
USER since 7/21/08
Heading up to Northwestern Ontario in a couple days for some walleye fishing. It is our first time heading up there and aren't sure how much bait we need for 4 guys/4 days. One of the guys in the group pre-ordered 1 lb of leeches and 8 doz crawlers. Is that going to be enough bait?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
8/5/15 @ 11:29 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
If you plan on using bait I would get more, that's only 6 crawlers per person per day. I would sooner have them left over than not enough. That said if you really need live bait you might want to check what lake you're going to. I've been to Canada many times and never felt the need for live bait.

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 11:25 AM
Jax
Jax
USER since 1/5/06
Depends on how the fish are biting! I usually take a flat of crawlers, but bring half home, but I don't run out.

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 10:14 AM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER since 5/17/01
@sweeperq,

Thanks for clarifying! Just didn't want to see anyone get to the border and have to throw their leeches in the garbage like a few of my friends had to years ago.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 7:00 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
My wife and I bring a flat of crawlers usually have some left not this year.

Edited on 8/5/15 7:00 AM
Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 12:38 AM
Fishin AGAIN!!
Fishin AGAIN!!
USER since 11/20/14
Depends on what lake your fishing. I just got back from nw Ontario and could of gotten away with about a dozen crawlers and a dozen minnows for the 7 days. No joke terrible trip! If fishing is good don't be afraid to try cranks or Plastics. Another thing to consider is bait is a small expense compared to the entire trip. Are you willing to end your trip early to save $50.

Post Your Comment
8/4/15 @ 9:48 PM
sweeperq
sweeperq
USER since 7/21/08
@Darin - We pre-ordered them with the Canadian Outfitter. We're not crossing the border with them.

Post Your Comment
8/4/15 @ 4:10 PM
fishies
fishies
USER since 1/2/12
sweeperq Check your messenger

Post Your Comment
8/4/15 @ 3:31 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER since 5/17/01
I thought it was illegal to bring live leeches into Ontario? " It is also illegal to bring live leeches into Ontario for use as bait, unless you are the holder of a commercial bait license." Link To Source

Also make sure your worms are in artificial bedding and not soil.

Edited on 8/4/15 4:09 PM
Post Your Comment
8/4/15 @ 2:49 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
I would go with at least another 1/2 lB of leeches. For as little as it cost I would rather be safe than sorry. I go for 8 days with four guys and take 2 1/2lbs of leeches and 1200 salted minnows. Almost always go through all the leeches and at least half the minnows.

Post Your Comment