Fishing Fustration? The Mysteries of Fishing

8/31/15 @ 9:25 AM
ORIGINAL POST
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06
Just got back from Canada. Last two days windy, rainy and cold. I was in front seat of 14 ft fishing boat. Partner was operating motor. Second last day we got into a hot spot and each of us caught several 20-26in. walleyes. Returned to spot on last day. Partner caught over 20 fish , while I only caught 3. Both of us using leeches on bottom bouncers . Identical set-ups. I tried everything to figure out why he was catching fish one after another while I struggled. Washed my hands. Tried his leeches rather than mine-nothing worked. I will spend winter trying to figure it out. My theory is that we were back trolling a shoreline into the wind at a slight angle, with his side of the boat more protected than mine, but that is only a theory. I have been out fished before, but this one really bothered me.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
9/19/15 @ 8:44 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
It happens bro! I have one for ya on beaver dam lake a month ago we were anchored fishing on same side of boat using same everything my buddy was catching 5 to my one so we switched rods he kept out fishing me so I went to the back where he was fishing he went to the front he still out fished me. And before someone says it's a presentation thing all rods were in rod holders and less then a few feet apart. So go figure we switched rods,and spots and I still got out fished go figure but sometimes it just happens. Don't stress bro.

Post Your Comment
9/15/15 @ 1:23 PM
Docker
Docker
USER since 10/10/08
LOL Wini..... That's too funny! I think it happens to all of us at one point in time. You wouldn't be pounding your head against the wall if you were the one catching all the fish and your partner wasn't. Just remember if you were back trolling and have the same amount of line out as your partners, his bait will be seen by the fish 10- 14 feet before yours is pulled through. There is also a big difference between line diameter and water friction. I always run 6 lb test moss green trilene xl without swivels for cranks or live bait when trolling for walleye. Gets down deeper is stealthy for clear water and has better action. I've been able to land a lot of mid 40" northern and musky, just takes more patience and a good drag system. Don't let it bother you too much!

Post Your Comment
9/11/15 @ 8:11 PM
Dapperzakwi
Dapperzakwi
USER since 9/11/15
Well You were prob. Not Holding Your Mouth Open Right ? haha sorry my grand father always claimed that wen some one would have your luck. Could be any one of the other posters suggestions. It's happened to me , could'nt get a bite to save my life jigging. But the last time that happened there was 4 of us and I was in the front So I threw on a big redeye spoon and Bango !! nailed a 44 in Pike . Next time throw out a Lure ,Never Know Smile

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 10:27 PM
scrub
scrub
USER since 8/15/06
When walleyes are holding tight to a certain depth contour likely associated with an abrupt drop just off said contour, a boats width combined with rod length out the side, can and will make a difference on how many fish are caught on any particular side. For example, my transducer for my graph at the helm is located starboard of main motor. Since I'm usually driving, I want to and better be marking fish. So when trolling say bottom bouncers and harnesses there are times where I catch 10 to my bros 1 cuz the fish are being marked on my side, are negative, unwilling to chase anything even a couple feet. The difference in feet between my rod tip (starboard side) and his rod tip (port side) is 96" worth of beam and my rod is 7' and so is his. That's like 14ft apart, it can and does make a huge difference sometimes. That's why I hate not driving the boat Evil Grin

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 6:54 AM
BornToFish1
BornToFish1
USER since 3/5/13
I will offer a few suggestions. First, it could just be dumb luck that your partner out-fished you on that particular day.

My second suggestion is that there was something different between your presentations. It could be that you were using a heavier fishing line, had a snap swivel on your line, a different color jig, different amount of line off the reel, or a different weight for the bottom bouncer.

My third suggestion ties into the previous suggestion. It could be that your lure wasn't in the fish's strike zone. It might be that the amount of line off the reel kept the lure too high in the water column.

My last suggestion may sound trivial, but I've seen this happen countless times. It could be that you were fishing below the fish. Walleyes typically hold in a certain depth of water. It could be that your partner's side of the boat was in the fish's wheel house, or just above it. If so, you may have been fishing just below the fish. If so, you will not get many bites as the fish don't typically look below themselves.

There is a joke at the fishing lodge that I fish at when in Canada. if your partner is out-fishing you, just adjust the amount of anchor line out.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Post Your Comment