FAMILY VACATION

3/3/14 @ 12:03 AM
ORIGINAL POST
OUTDOORCRITTER
OUTDOORCRITTER
USER since 2/5/12
HI ALL, I've been to Canada a handful of times. Next year summer time I plan on taking my family there on a fishing trip. Does anybody have any suggestions for a family of four to do an affordable fishing getaway. We would need a boat. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. OUTDOORCRITTER.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
4/30/14 @ 12:26 PM
BPW
BPW
USER since 7/4/06
I'll second the comment about high food prices in Ontario. That is why Canadians are such good fishermen....they HAVE to be. Smile

Post Your Comment
4/23/14 @ 1:02 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Bonnie Bay Camp on Lake Wabigoon. Drive to camp. Nice clean modern cabins, Len and Nancy are great hosts. They have 16' boats with 40 hp 4 stroke engines included and all bait/gas is included. They take you on a tour of the lake your first time there and show you where to fish. I took my handheld gps along and waypointed all the recommended spots. Obviously you can expand where you fish from there, but it's a great starting point.

Note: Unless money is no object or if you plan on eating fish 3 meals a day for the duration, bring as much food along as you can. We decided to pack light and buy the food up there like we do on other vacations in N. WI. Bad idea, food is shockingly pricey north of the border.

Post Your Comment
4/19/14 @ 11:02 AM
snortwheze
snortwheze
USER since 12/15/06
Ling is Burbot. It is not the same as the Ling you get up in Alaska. Though still very tasty.

Wini...Regarding prices being negotiable...All I mean is anything in life is negotiable. How bad a lodge owner wants to have their beds filled during a specific week might mean they are willing to negotiate price. Not all places have been like this, especially ones that are booked out at near 100% capacity year over year.

I always put myself in the owner's shoes and think how would I feel if someone approached me about negotiating price. I appreciate this is how they put food on their table so I am very respectful of what my negotiated price might be. In many instances if I am flexible with the week of travel that also helps with the price. Example, one recent trip I was giving $100 off per person as I switched weeks for them(lodge owner initiated idea of a discount, not me.) I have also found if you offer to do catch and release(keeping only what you eat while there) vs. harvesting your "allotted amount" of fish to take home they will forgive an extra $50-100 on occasion. To your point bigger groups definitely reward you with discounts. I guess my point is, be creative and polite and in my humble opinion/experience the price becomes more flexible than advertised!

For the record...as long as I am not up the week after the big may fly hatches I don't care when I go!!!

Good luck!!! Just over 2 months and I am crossing the border!

Post Your Comment
4/17/14 @ 9:28 AM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04
Ling Cod I think is Burbot?

Post Your Comment
4/16/14 @ 9:43 PM
flint fredstone
flint fredstone
USER since 4/10/12
Something just caught my attention----LING COD???

Post Your Comment
4/16/14 @ 4:44 PM
sacbaylodger
sacbaylodger
USER since 5/24/10
Where are you looking to visit. We are located on beautiful Sturgeon Lake, 45 minutes north of Ignace. Our lake has world class lake trout, with walleye, northern pike, bass, whitefish and ling cod all available. Please check out our website at sacbay.com and email if you are interested. Kenn

Post Your Comment
4/8/14 @ 8:37 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06
snortwheze

Found your comment on "negotiable prices" interesting. I have been to Canada over 30 times and I have never seen nor heard of negotiable prices. Many camps lower the price for larger groups or may not charge for certain services. Tell us more.

Post Your Comment
4/7/14 @ 6:35 PM
ylwlab
ylwlab
USER since 6/28/01
I've taken my family to Northern Light Lake a couple of times.

Different times of the year and gave it a good try.

Never had much luck fishing and had to find campsites.

Went to Cedar Lake Lodge and it was wonderful, both cabins and fishing.

Would highly recommend Cedar over NLL.

Post Your Comment
4/6/14 @ 10:34 PM
BPW
BPW
USER since 7/4/06
Well said.

Post Your Comment
4/5/14 @ 8:00 AM
BornToFish1
BornToFish1
USER since 3/5/13
It's hard for many people to go to Ontario fishing the first time. Most people find that it's easy to go the second time. Nearly every fishing lodge in Canada is on a lake/river with great fishing. There are many fishing lodges in Ontario that you and your family would enjoy, your task is to seek these out. Please note however, there are also fishing lodges that will be poor choices. By this I mean that many lodges have a great "family" atmosphere, while some do not. I suggest that you and your wife sit down and make a list of "musts" that the lodge must provide for you to have a good vacation. Chatting with friends that have previously fished in Canada should help you and your wife make this list. Interview the owners of potential lodges and ask for personal references. Be cautious of "blind" recommendations as that lodge may be perfect for someone else, but may not be good for you and your family. I hope that you and your family have a tremendous vacation - make memories!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts