Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 10:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
JEP
USER since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 975 Posts
9/25/18 @ 6:51 PM
muzzdog
muzzdog
USER since 9/23/18

Thanks for the info guys, I head out in the morning.  I can't wait.

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 4:56 PM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

I just got back,  when I went for Lakers on friday I needed my riggers because they were deep. I had one set at 50 feet and the other at 60 feet. Action was awesome. Hard to keep both rods in the water. If they go shallow before it closes look for shallow rock piles that they use for spawning and cast small spoons or spinners with your walleye rod.

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 11:15 AM
ResQ91
ResQ91
USER since 4/3/05

Hi Muzzy!

I have not had any experience with fall Laker fishing but in Spring, when they are shallower, we have found using frozen cisco greatly increased our action.

Jigging them or even better, using a heavy dropper rig gets the bottom huggers. Watch for them as you troll with some type of meat rig like used on Great Lakes for Salmon. Once you see bait balls, you will also find Trout. If trolling through doesn't pick something up, go back over them and drop down a stationary Cisco.

Blue/Silver Shad Raps and Spoons have also worked at times trolling. We most always have meat back there though. The bigger, the better.

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 11:01 AM
muzzdog
muzzdog
USER since 9/23/18

Hi all.  I've been reading this forum for several years but never registered until today. There is so much info on here, especially if you scroll back through time. I've been fishing the Silver Dollar area for five years, ususally staying at Lumberjack Lodge.  We rarely fish Sturgeon and usually trailer to area lakes, Young Eva Watcomb Barrel. We are headed to Lumberjack on 9/26 and plan to target lake trout for the last few days of the season.  It snowed up there yesterday and the forecast is cool, so I'm hoping the water temp drops and the trout are shallow.  I've never fished lake trout in the fall and are looking for any tips.  I've caught a few in the spring on Sturgeon and Cecil.

I'm looking for any info ,especially any smaller lakes with trout, as we are bringing a smaller boat this year.  We will also have access to  motorized canoe, so a portage lake is an option.

Thanks for any help.  You can email at muzzdog@hotmail.com if you wish.

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 2:34 PM
willythewalleyekid
willythewalleyekid
USER since 1/23/02

That makes it look like there are now restrictions. 

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 8:32 AM
d00buck
d00buck
USER since 6/14/10

Try this-

http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/ForestFireInformationMap/Index.html?site=AFFES_ONLine&viewer=AFFES_ONLINE&locale=en-US

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 4:54 PM
Gills-N-Fins
Gills-N-Fins
USER since 3/7/15

I'm not sure where to find that info. You might be able to call silver dollar to get info. I would say probably the rest of the year.

Post Your Comment
9/1/18 @ 3:56 PM
willythewalleyekid
willythewalleyekid
USER since 1/23/02

How long do you think the fire ban will be on? 

Where can a guy look to see if the ban is still in effect? 

Post Your Comment
9/1/18 @ 11:12 AM
Gills-N-Fins
Gills-N-Fins
USER since 3/7/15

Our trip was fantastic! Fishing was amazing. Every day was mid 100 fish days. We found most all our fish on main lake humps schooled up in 20 to 25 ftw. Bait of choice was 1/4oz rattle jigs chartreuse and pink topped with large minnows 3 to 4". Half our fish were in the 25 to 29" class. We also trolled with large crawler harnesses and D9 cranks about 5 ft off bottom. Fish were more then willing to travel to grab baits. Once we found big groups of fish we set anchors and it was game on! We did have some success with artificial bait but fish recommended live. 

We did make one day trip to Lake of bays which was a blast. We found fish in 20 ftw up against any vertical rock walls next to shore. Lots of fish from 15 to 17". 

The water channel you need to take from prospect lake was a bit harry and wouldn't recommend taking a boat thru larger then 16 or 17 ft thru there. You might be biting off more then you can chew. Lots of guys were using there trolling motors to get thru there. I used my big motor and had to stop once to clean out a plugged up water line in my motor.

Note to traveling back to the states. We got stopped at a CO check point while getting to the boarder. My son and I got our fish confiscated and I got a ticket for not packaging fish properly. Because they were frozen in water. Even though all of our fish were done that way. The two of us were the only ones that had one fish each over the 18" range in our bags so I guess they had a hard time seeing the smaller fillets. 

They are not willing to work with you at all. We offered to pull into the parking lot and thaw out the two bags with salt and they told us that this was supposed to be a 5 to 10 min quick check not a 1 hour process. Even though they kept us there for about 90 min heeing and hawing what they were going to do.

Make sure you print out or read all fishing regulation before you go because every where we stopped to get licenses and bait did not have regulation books. And make sure you package your fish 1 fish 2 fillets per bag skin on no water.... When we did go through the boarder the person checking out passports even asked if we had fish confiscated and went on to tell us about 3 out of 4 people were saying they had also got fish or bear meat confiscated with so.e kind of ticket issued........just a fyi

One more note..... there is a fire ban going on up there so bring a camp stove for shore lunches if you do them.... NO fires at all. When we left the forest fire was raging 40 miles north of Sturgen lake lodge. 

Post Your Comment
7/28/18 @ 1:50 PM
Cronk
Cronk
USER since 4/18/12

IA FishHawk message sent to you. 

Scott

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 975 Posts