Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
JEP
USER since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 956 Posts
6/19/18 @ 3:14 PM
jb1936
jb1936
USER since 4/5/05

Although I haven't targeted smallmouth, they appear plentiful on Watcomb in the northeast corner (beyond the camper/campsite) where I've caught plenty.  12-14" was common. 

Just got back this past Sat night...water level is down 18-24" in my estimation compared to last year...only the second time I've seen the complete rock reef above water on Watcomb southwest of the point and the large island. 

Good week this past week...average on qty of fish and size.  Weather was exceptionally good...first time in 18 years that I didn't fish in the rain and we fished all day every day.  Bugs were way down but that could've been due to the consistent wind.  Surface temp was warmer than normal...in fact some of the fish were warmer in the hand than prior years. 

Saw more moose this year than any year prior.  Had two standing in the road at different times on our way home in the early morning...that got our hearts going. 

Reminder to put your names on your take home freezer fish and fish to achieve your OWN limit which includes what you caught that day and what is in your freezer.  Trust me on this...

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 2:17 PM
logger35
logger35
USER since 3/13/14

Yeah I've got a few on Watcomb around the spillway an by the islands but never really got into them. So I haven't been up there in 2 years but I'm hearing young lake is going downhill as far as walleyes anyone else noticing this? Maybe it's just a rumor 2 years ago I didn't have any trouble catching walleye couldn't have gone downhill too much in the last 2 years. Anyone else going up the first week in July?

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 5:17 AM
Bluegills fear me
Bluegills fear me
USER since 5/27/16
Watcomb has great smallmouth fishing. 

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 7:09 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04

Logger 35....I've tried but can never seem to catch smallmouth consistently 

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 7:04 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04

Returned from Young Lake Lodge Saturday. Weather was good. Bugs weren't bad. Water was at least a foot low. Fished Young, White Rock, Pepperbell and LOB's. Caught plenty of walleyes and northern. Tammy got the biggest northern at 37.5 and Bobby had the biggest walleye at 26.5. Everyone had a great time of course. Saw moose and bear a few times. 7 year old Brady fished hard and caught alot of fish. He threw a rod in the lake one day but we got it back. Didn't get a chance to have a beer with my friend Jibberish, the week goes by too fast. 

Edited on 6/18/18 7:21 PM
Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 11:32 AM
logger35
logger35
USER since 3/13/14
Leaving for young Lake Lodge on June 28th was wondering if anyone ever Target Smallmouth in this area I've been staying between young Lake and Lumberjack for the last 15 years so catching Northern and walleye it's not an issue we catch so many I sometimes get bored of it and look for Smallmouth I've caught a few here and there on Young and White Rock but never anything consistent was wondering if anyone knew any other lakes in the area that are loaded with Smallmouth

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 7:45 AM
Cowbell90
Cowbell90
USER since 6/1/18

I get up there in about two weeks. Is more rain expected. or will the lakes be low all summer?

My daughter is old enough that she asked me this year to teach her how to tie knots for the hooks/jigs. I have two kids that just LOVE to fish and can't wait to get there.

Post Your Comment
6/9/18 @ 10:56 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

I was up for a week the second week of season. Lakers and walleye were both very shallow. It was just an average trip this year nothing special in size this year, however I did lose a hog of a walleye 10 feet from the boat.The low water level restricted me from from accessing the creeks to get to several of my favorite lakes. 

Post Your Comment
6/9/18 @ 9:42 AM
Remi
Remi
USER since 3/23/05
I was up this past week, returned home today. First few days windy high of 52F air temperature, last few days sunny 78F air. Water temperature was 53F start and 63F end of week. Mostly found walleye in 19 to 24 feet. Didn't catch many northern casting the shallow water, but caught plenty of them jigging or trolling walleye. Bugs were not bad. Water is 2 feet low. Didn't find any fish on mid lake humps. All fish caught were classic points and windy shore.

Post Your Comment
6/9/18 @ 7:55 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

I was up for a week the second week of season. Lakers and walleye were both very shallow. It was just an average trip this year nothing special in size this year, however I did loose a hog of a walleye 10 feet from the boat.The low water level restricted me from from accessing the creeks to get to several of my favorite lakes. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 956 Posts