Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
JEP
USER since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 928 Posts
5/21/18 @ 9:24 AM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04

18 days...excited to hear reports from the lucky guys up there already.

Post Your Comment
5/18/18 @ 12:27 PM
ResQ91
ResQ91
USER since 4/3/05

Thanks!!!!

We are leaving in 2 hrs...…….am so ready to get up there.

GREAT HELP!

Thanks Guys!!

Post Your Comment
5/17/18 @ 11:15 PM
aintnobody@charter.net
aintnobody@charter.net
USER since 3/25/18

Couple pics from 2011 to gauge access with larger boat, just have nothing below bottom if water is this low.  The water is faster than you may think coming back upstream, so bring rope just in case.  Yes, at least a hand saw, axe and come along would be good, also shovel for way in.  And heed the timing going in and out, in before 10am plan on at least 45 minutes in from Silver Dollar.  Look on google maps for the route in, Bing maps usually has better details.  Make sure out BEFORE dark, squitters will be bad and narrow trail difficult to navigate in dark.  Navigation is good, I think there is a big rock about 30 yards in front of causeway(49.981083, -91.297290), approach slowly, the current will pull you in.  Several nice rest areas on north end, island and to NE.   Good fishing along way, just use your walleye sense and you'll be fine.  Beyond causeway to lake appeared safe boating, but like always in Canada, don't get yourself surprised.  Plan for overnight if you have problems, it's a hike thru causeway and beyond.  At landing, short no wake from small lake thru channel, exit may have some rocks, once to main body pretty good.  Just to landing, new trail around to right, straight is a grade you may want to avoid.  Fun trip.  Many will never do again, we went 2x last year.  Landing here: 49.917193, -91.371769, left turn here off main trail: 49.913286, -91.377074, easy to miss, GPS very  handy.  Hwy 642 exit: 49.890523, -91.431797

Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 7:43 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04

The causeway flows north and we usually get out of boat and push it back through on way back. Nice and cold and refreshing. Just a little above knee deep last year. Plenty of good fishing on south end though. You will figure it out. I have been going there for 20 years and have never hit a rock. We are there June 9th. 

Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 11:09 AM
ResQ91
ResQ91
USER since 4/3/05

Thanks 14ft!

When ya up there?

If I can't get through causeway, is there worthwhile fishing on launch side?

If I make it through, could you suggest a safe route to main lake?

Thank you!!

Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 9:26 AM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04

ResQ...I have never had a problem with rocks, just use common sense and you should be fine. I worry about the road in. It's usually pretty stressful. And yes the rule is go in in the morning and out in the afternoon. If you meet a boat going the opposite way you'll be in trouble with no room to pass or turn around.

Post Your Comment
5/12/18 @ 9:21 AM
ResQ91
ResQ91
USER since 4/3/05

I am back to where I started I guess.

Is there fishing to be had on launch side if making it through causeway doesn't work?

Does current flow away from launch side or towards?

We are there in 1 WEEK!!!!

Post Your Comment
5/12/18 @ 7:09 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10
The water level on Sturgeon lake is still down close to 2 feet. So water level might be a issue getting through the causeway. I think you would be ok on width with your boat. But I have had years where I could not get thru with my 16 footer because even trimmed all the way up I had gravel flying in the air trying to motor up.

Post Your Comment
5/11/18 @ 9:45 PM
brownbear
brownbear
USER since 3/17/12

ResQ91, they don't make a large enough electric trolling to pull a boat back through the cause way. If I remember right the cause way is about 9'6" wide. I don't have a map anymore. I've been fishing lob for the last 14 years so no need to hold onto my map. I  will be up there 5/25. When are you going to be there. 

Post Your Comment
5/11/18 @ 6:59 PM
jb1936
jb1936
USER since 4/5/05

ResQ

I may have a map and will look. I am not familiar with lake-link private messaging but feel free to contact me and I will share what I can. What week do you go?  If you are there 6/9 week, you could follow me in as that may be the most beneficial. FYI, we fish southern end for walleye and stay at Sturgeon Lake Lodge  

I have not been through the causeway. I would defer to others.  I have a similar size boat and it seems like it may be interesting and potentially tight to get through but with your trolling motor I suspect you’ll be ok. 

Couple suggestions for anyone going to LOB...I would definitely recommend bringing a chainsaw (yes used), spare tire (yes used), go in the morning (because of the one way and to avoid making others cranky as they are coming out), and park as far into the woods as you can by the landing so the last 100 yards of the road in is as wide open as possible. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 928 Posts