Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
JEP
USER since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 906 Posts
4/21/18 @ 8:17 AM
Bleeno
Bleeno
USER since 4/21/18

Thanks Loveafishfry - look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. 

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 4:11 PM
ResQ91
ResQ91
USER since 4/3/05

Thank you for doing this!!

We don't fish Watcombe much but would've stopped for similar fishing at other lakes nearby.

Very considerate of you to lease this for others use.

See ya May 19th.......Hopin we get some heat up there to melt ice!!

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 1:45 PM
loveafishfry
loveafishfry
USER since 1/29/18

Hello, to launch at Watcomb Lake is a $10.00 fee per BOAT per day or $25.00 per BOAT per week. The land is owned by Wagner and since you need to pay a fee to use their land and no one was, Wagner was going to stop access to this Lake. When Wagner sold their permits it was $25.00 a PERSON a day, so that could get pretty costly. Wagner cannot stop anyone from using their land to hunt or fish what they legally can do is stop anyone from using their roads and driveways/launches. Because of liability that is what they intend on doing if permits are not bought for their property. When this was brought to our attention we (Sturgeon Lake Lodge) did what we can to keep it open for all fishermen/women. So we now lease the land and are charging a small launch fee, hoping this solution works for everyone. You can buy your permits from us or from Moose Creek...unless you are one of our (Sturgeon Lake Lodge) guests...then we pay your launch fee. We will also have Outposts on Watcomb Lake. 

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 1:38 PM
cl
cl
USER since 12/13/04

The launch fee is $10.00 a BOAT a day or $25.00 a BOAT a week. You can buy your permits at our lodge. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Margaret

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 11:38 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

I made a couple phone calls to look into If a person has access to watcomb with out paying. I phoned a conservation warden in Ignace because I wanted to know if I could dock at the landing by highway 642. He told me that he has not dealt with any tresspassing complaints at that landing but that it is not clear to him where the property line is. He did tell me that from the center line of highway 642 the crown own land 66 feet in each direction. However he never measured how far the landing is from the road but suspects it is beyond that distance. He gave me the Wagner properties phone number and recommended I call there manager and ask if both landings are on private property. I just got off  the phone with him and I was told both landings are private and anyone wanting to land at them will need to go to sturgeon lake lodge and pay. He did not know what the fee was. I am curious how this all shakes out because of all the different things I have heard, I have heard they are not allowed to restrict access to people wanting to fish and hunt but from want I have been told so far it seems like there is not any public access. I guess myself I will just fish other lakes, its a decent lake and everything but there are lots of other lakes where I can launch for free.

Post Your Comment
4/17/18 @ 9:00 PM
cl
cl
USER since 12/13/04

April 6, 2018

Watcomb Lake Access

Attn: Recreational Permit Holders

Beginning this spring 2018, Watcomb Lake access points and campgrounds will be

managed by a private outfitter. Sturgeon Lake Lodge will oversee camping, boat

launching, and parking at the 2 established campgrounds on Hwy 642. Those wishing

to use the sites should contact Sturgeon Lake Lodge at:

Sturgeonlakelodge1@gmail.com

807-344-8265 winter

807-934-6983 summer

Wagner recreational permits will no longer be valid to access Watcomb Lake at these

locations. Any other use of property managed by Wagner will still require a recreational

permit.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact Wagner Ontario Forest

Management, 807-767-7777 ext. 2

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 7:51 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

The good news is with all the snow it should help bring the water level back up to navigate some of the creeks in the spring!

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 7:48 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10

36 more days for me I hope! I was up there ice fishing a few weeks ago. There was a ton of snow and 36 inches of ice. There was a foot more of ice than when I was there the previous winter around the same time. I am hoping for a Canada heat wave some time in the next few weeks!

Post Your Comment
4/8/18 @ 4:37 PM
ResQ91
ResQ91
USER since 4/3/05

Arod,

We are there in May. That time of year is fun because you can use stickbaits, Rapalas, etc. and just troll without weights. Silver/Blue. Have been having luck last couple times with the Shad (Wide/Thin) style cranks too.

It is most fun when you find them and drop jigs down with lighter action spinning gear!

We have times where it can be fish on every drop. We pick up an occasional hog Walleye  as well chasing the bait schools.

I can't wait!!

Edited on 4/8/18 4:38 PM
Post Your Comment
4/8/18 @ 3:05 PM
Arod
Arod
USER since 2/26/13

ResQ91,

Couldn't agree more, the Lakers control our trip. We're up there in mid July. We graph them and then jig them is deep water. Sometimes the bite can be crazy good. I would assume you're there in early June. Never have been there at that time but from what I understand the lakers are much shallower. I have heard they're scattered on the reefs which I thought would make catching them more of a challenge. But from reading your post it sounds like you do well at that time. Any info you would like to share would be welcome. Arod

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 906 Posts