Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
JEP
USER since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 963 Posts
TODAY @ 7:55 AM
Gills-N-Fins
Gills-N-Fins
USER since 3/7/15

Thanks jb1936 and selbert!

I booked a cabin on Sturgeon Lake through Sturgeon Lake Lodge for the week we are going. Margret Was SUPER nice and accommodating.

Now just have to get through these next couple weeks to get to our trip!!

Ill post how we did when we get back.

Thanks everyone.  

Post Your Comment
7/13/18 @ 8:39 AM
selbert
selbert
USER since 4/21/16

There are a variety of places to stay and camp. I know there are a few guides in the area but its not hard to find fish on your own. Lake of Bays is very accessible (maybe to accessible after the road was improved) and several nice campsites around the lake. If you have questions i would recommend calling Marty at Silver Dollar. I have stayed at a couple of the regions lodges with great experiences at very fair prices. Lots to do and a ton of lakes to fish.

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 2:12 PM
Gills-N-Fins
Gills-N-Fins
USER since 3/7/15

Hey every one!

Are all you guys going through outfitters or doing it all on your own? 

We used to go up there twice a year for years but haven't been there in 25 years. My brother and I want to take a trip up there this August with our sons and everything has changed! We used to go to a lake called Lake of Bays. Which now is almost all privet land due to a Woodland Caribou Habitat amendment and there is only one outfitter up there I guess that has the permission to assess the lake (by 4-wheelers) to fish it. (Which we would have to bring the 4 wheeler too) Does any one have info on this area? That was the place to be 25 years ago!!

We are kinda thinking about getting a room/cabin or even a camp site at silver dollar instead of camping on Crown land. 

I don't want to end up showing up there and not finding a place to park the boat!!

ANY info would be great!! 

My PM is on.

Thanks!!

Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 11:05 PM
FISHING REPORT
Jibberish
Jibberish
USER since 5/29/06

Quite late with my report, was up to 

Young Lake June 9-15. A great week of weather with some breeze but doable. Fished Young and Watcombs twice, Pepperbell and Pike once each. Pike was so so this year. Managed a few Northerns there. Pepperbell was good, a different boat in our group found a good area on Pepperbell and hit the fish pretty good. Young was typical, managed some good Northerns and some Walleyes. Nothing much over 20 inch with Walleyes, kept a couple 17's. Watcombs was really good one time on a breezy day, fishing along the windblown shore. One after another, helps to keep focused, fighting wind when the fish are biting. So, hits rocks with the trolling motor twice this year, luckily no damage. Had a nice time. Bart,(14ftdown) yes the week goes by too fast. Just a thought, if you get on the water at 10:00 like us, you can stay up and drink beer all night. 

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 8:22 AM
Cowbell90
Cowbell90
USER since 6/1/18

Glad to hear they are biting. We get there Saturday. Can't Wait. May try some top water this year. Sounds like fun.

Post Your Comment
6/23/18 @ 7:56 AM
selbert
selbert
USER since 4/21/16

We just returned from the area yesterday.  Is it possible the weather was too nice? Temps in the mid 80's, blue skies, and just a light breeze. We had a blast. The fishing was the best I've experienced in the last few years. We fished Watcomb, Wintering, Young, and Sturgeon. Good numbers of walleye anywhere from 8 to 15ft deep. Great numbers of 18 to 20 inchers but not to many bigger than that.  Had a good time targeting big pike on Wintering. But the real fun came catching smallies. They were shallow up in the rock piles. We could catch em on topwater all day long, and it seemed they were all at least 17in long with cue balls in their bellies. Plenty of wildlife encounters. Moose (saw a massive bull on the way home), bears, and wolves (a big one my buddy thought was a large deer at first). We were on a shortened trip this year so did not get a chance to explore new water. So here are a couple questions I have for any of you. Are there any fish in Norm Lake? Thats the lake on the way into Wintering. Are people catching walleye on the southern part of Sturgeon? And lastly is there a place to launch on sturgeon up by Cobb Bay? Had a blast last week and good luck to people still heading north.

Post Your Comment
6/22/18 @ 4:10 PM
Cowbell90
Cowbell90
USER since 6/1/18

We fished Young last year, and caught walleye. It was only my second year fishing there, due to it being catch and release so many years. It is just so hard to get in.

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 3:14 PM
jb1936
jb1936
USER since 4/5/05

Although I haven't targeted smallmouth, they appear plentiful on Watcomb in the northeast corner (beyond the camper/campsite) where I've caught plenty.  12-14" was common. 

Just got back this past Sat night...water level is down 18-24" in my estimation compared to last year...only the second time I've seen the complete rock reef above water on Watcomb southwest of the point and the large island. 

Good week this past week...average on qty of fish and size.  Weather was exceptionally good...first time in 18 years that I didn't fish in the rain and we fished all day every day.  Bugs were way down but that could've been due to the consistent wind.  Surface temp was warmer than normal...in fact some of the fish were warmer in the hand than prior years. 

Saw more moose this year than any year prior.  Had two standing in the road at different times on our way home in the early morning...that got our hearts going. 

Reminder to put your names on your take home freezer fish and fish to achieve your OWN limit which includes what you caught that day and what is in your freezer.  Trust me on this...

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 2:17 PM
logger35
logger35
USER since 3/13/14

Yeah I've got a few on Watcomb around the spillway an by the islands but never really got into them. So I haven't been up there in 2 years but I'm hearing young lake is going downhill as far as walleyes anyone else noticing this? Maybe it's just a rumor 2 years ago I didn't have any trouble catching walleye couldn't have gone downhill too much in the last 2 years. Anyone else going up the first week in July?

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 5:17 AM
Bluegills fear me
Bluegills fear me
USER since 5/27/16
Watcomb has great smallmouth fishing. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 963 Posts