Canadian Fishery

5/7/15 @ 6:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
Does Canada (Ontario) need stricter regulations on there fishery or are they doing a good job. I think size and limit restrictions they have imposed over the last 15-20 years has done absolute wonders for numbers and size of fish being caught. I remember 30 years ago when I first started going to Canada that you could keep 6 fish and there were no size limits. It was amazing at all the huge northerns you would see people catch and keep.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 Posts
5/8/15 @ 7:29 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10
I have been fishing in Ontario since 1998. I think overall the walleye and northern limits are working great to keep quality fishing up during that time frame. The new regulation a year or so ago on lake trout where one of the two lake trout having to be under 22 inches I personally do not like, I think more trout will end up getting killed because fishermen will be fishing longer bringing more trout up from deep water to try to find that one that is under 22, There are days where trout that small are few and far between. My approach with trout in deep water has been to keep the first two I caught to get my daily limit and then go fishing for something else. At times now I don't feel right about doing that if I have to throw back 6 fish to get one under 22, Knowing that a lot of the released fish will not survive.

Post Your Comment