Bug Report

6/18/14 @ 8:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
I wanted to start a thread with what is going on in Northern Ontario with the bugs! We are located 6 hours north of the border and the Mosquito/Black Flies are very intense right now. We use Deep Woods Off, Watkins and Thermcells. Each of these work some of the time, looking for other items we may try or tell others about to make their trip more enjoyable? One thing or sure, is once you get on the water at least 100 feet from shore, the bugs are gone, but they are waiting in the bush once you return! Sunny and 70 is the forecast and a welcome sight as water levels are finally receding from the Winter/Spring meltdown!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/22/14 @ 1:47 PM
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
As dusk appears, the bugs are fierce. Once you get about 100 feet from shore, they are non-existent. Old Timer stopped at camp and told us that 3-5 days of dry heat which we are getting right now will take them away for the summer. Right now it is 86 and dry, so day 1 is here, fingers are crossed! And with the heat, fishing is heating up as well!

Post Your Comment
6/22/14 @ 11:34 AM
handy
handy
USER since 3/29/04
do not wear any black and spray deep woods off on your ankles . for night fishing, put on frog tog rain gear and a head net then spray your neck , hands, ankles. be careful not to spray on any mono line, as the deet will melt it. any may fly reports yet?

Edited on 6/22/14 11:36 AM
Post Your Comment
6/21/14 @ 11:37 AM
snortwheze
snortwheze
USER since 12/15/06
In my experience I have found flies like the color black and motion.

Ill take flies and a canadian fishing trip all day every day over no trip with no flies!

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 7:51 PM
bottoms up
bottoms up
USER since 1/16/02
Buster, Sounds like someone will have to test this one out. One black sock and one white sock and count the welts at the end of the day!

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 9:00 PM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
Bottoms Up, I think your advise is just the opposite concerning black fly's favorite colors according to the Farmers Almanac.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/health/2013/05/27/those-blasted-black-flies/

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 5:32 PM
bottoms up
bottoms up
USER since 1/16/02
I heard that dark or black socks will reduce the number of black fly bites around your ankles. Supposedly attracted to light colors.

Post Your Comment