Boarder crossing problems

9/5/09 @ 1:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FISHEAD
FISHEAD
USER since 7/2/01
I've heard from a few guys in my fishing club this year , that they had all kinds of problems going into Canada . Some at Pigon river and some at Int. Falls. I have a cottage in eastern Ont. and cross at Windsor, no problems , so far this year , except traffic. Two guys went with a cop that Canada wouldn't let in , because of a interpol back groud check. Most of the resorts where I'm at say their guest come from eastern US and cross at the falls , only a few were turned back.
Edited on 9/5/09 1:26 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 163 Posts
9/11/14 @ 9:16 PM
plumwerm
plumwerm
USER since 3/25/10
for you

Post Your Comment
1/26/14 @ 2:25 AM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
Sidge

If your wife is going to hunt and carry a firearm, she must fill out her own firearms declaration form (cafc 909)and carry the completed form anytime she is in possession of the gun including when she is hunting.

Also, I have hunted in Ontario for 10 years and have never brought a weapon into the crossing station. As a matter of fact have been told not to bring them in. The border agents have always checked my guns outside on a table next to where you will be instructed to park.

It's really a simple process as long as you don't have a criminal record. Good luck and let us know how the moose hunts goes. I'm thinking about doing one myself.

Post Your Comment
1/22/14 @ 8:22 PM
Guidedfishing
Guidedfishing
USER since 8/2/01
Sidge

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htmhttp://

go to this link. It appears the cost is 25 CAD. It was my understanding that the declaration had to accompany the hunter. I think you should get the phone number from this link and give them a call for your question. Better you find out for yourself then rely on what I am telling you.

Good luck

Post Your Comment
1/22/14 @ 8:07 AM
Sidge
Sidge
USER since 12/19/02
Thanks Guidedfishing for all the information. It will be myself and my wife that are going this fall. My question is do we each need to declare our weapons or can I put both rifles on one form since both guns are mine that I bought before we were married? Or will customs have a fit and require us to list both separate?

Post Your Comment
1/21/14 @ 8:35 PM
Guidedfishing
Guidedfishing
USER since 8/2/01
Sidge,

Its not to complicated. Complete form CAFC 909 EF, in triplicate. "DO NOT SIGN" you will do that in the presence of the customs officer once he inspects your long gun. You can bring up to three rifles in for yourself on a single form for the same fee. Last I crossed it was 50.00 Canadian.

Now don't think you can bring in multiple rifles on a single form for multiple hunters. Each hunter must have his own completed deceleration regardless of the number of long guns brought in as it must accompany your hunting license.

I've not a a problem crossing in. Tell the customs agent you have rifles to declare, you will be told to park and bring them inside. I have the rifle in a hard case and open it in front of the customs agent the action is open. When ready you will then sign the CAFC 909 EF in the presence of the agent.

Now coming back you will have to declare your moose, fill out more paper work, it takes longer to come back in and declare your animal then it does to cross in from my experience.

One thing that happened on my brothers last trip, on the way back in they took his iphone and went through all his photo's, and messages. so heads up there. He protested and they basically said TS. Other than the violation of his personal privacy no issues.

Good luck GF

Post Your Comment
1/21/14 @ 6:27 AM
Sidge
Sidge
USER since 12/19/02
Have read all the reports and the problems that some have while trying to cross the border with DUI's on their record as well as some long searches of people who have no records to speak of. My question and have not seen any posts on is when hunters head up to Canada and have their weapons to declare. I know you have to fill out a form and pay a fee to be allowed to bring your weapon in but have some hunters out ever had a problem bringing a weapon or been subject to longer searches? Going up in October 2014 to hunt moose.

Post Your Comment
7/19/13 @ 2:41 PM
Deerlake1
Deerlake1
USER since 6/20/13
Eagle lake temple bay post July 1 st. You may have seen it already if you posted under it . Have fun catch a lot of big ones. Guides - Brad for muskies or eyes, Jamie for big eyes plus some of the others are also excellent. The day the guides made shore lunch for us Brad brought along a bag of fresh mushrooms and made a beer batter coating and fried them up with the fish. Excellent! One of those little extra things the guides do at Temple Bay. Can't say that you will be treated to that but one can always hope.

Post Your Comment
7/19/13 @ 9:40 AM
fshnuts
fshnuts
USER since 6/12/06
Thanks for the info deerlake but I can't find the post you mention.

Edited on 7/19/13 2:26 PM
Post Your Comment
7/19/13 @ 7:18 AM
Deerlake1
Deerlake1
USER since 6/20/13
Temple Bay Bus is very easy. Fill out form on bus. They collect them and give to CANADIAN Border Patrol officer who takes them along with everyone's passport. Went through in 10 minutes in late June. The lodge sends a list of names ahead of time to Canadian Border Patrol, speeds things up. Good luck! A little orange on a jig with chartreuse & minnow worked really well in June. See my posting in forumns Canadian trips regarding Temple Bay from late June trip.

Post Your Comment
7/18/13 @ 12:36 PM
fshnuts
fshnuts
USER since 6/12/06
Thru without a hitch both ways last week in International Falls. Had to pay duty on the extra beer but nothing else.

Headed thru next Tuesday on the Temple Bay Lodge bus. Wondering how they do that but I am sure we will find out.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 163 Posts