Cedar Lake, Ontario

4/12/02 @ 9:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Poboy
Poboy
USER since 1/9/02
I am planning a trip to Cedar Lake in late June. I was wondering if any one has been there. Any suggestions? Patterns? Hot spots? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 841 Posts
9/20/18 @ 8:50 PM
kingbass
kingbass
USER since 12/21/01

Yep!!  Keystone Lodge is the way to go!!  We've been going there for about 20 years!  Dave and Leanne are the best!!  Never have i had a negative experience.  I like that side of the lake better also. 

Post Your Comment
9/19/18 @ 10:05 AM
Denny0919
Denny0919
USER since 9/3/18

Just recently returned from Cedar. We stayed at Ray and Kathi's and were treated great.The week we were there was the second week of Sept. and the fishing was good not great but good. Numerous fronts moved in but we still took are share of walleyes and raised perhaps 25-30 musky. We boated a total of 13 musky out of (4) people the biggest being 43". Some of the musky raised were in that 50" bracket. Bottom line....nice lake, great hosts, good fishing, but the lake is crowded.

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 12:04 PM
fishguidealso
fishguidealso
USER since 2/5/10

Sounds like a great week on a great lake and a great camp.ray and Kathy are great hosts.we stopped in there on wed when the storms kicked us off the lake.got coffee and Kathy's awesome meatloaf.

Your right about complainers. Either address a issue or shut up.

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 9:18 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER since 9/23/01

Had an awesome time at Cedar Point Resort. Ray and Kathi were the best of hosts and left nothing to be desired (except WIFI). If you have a beef with some one at a resort ask them about it and don't be the guy behind the keyboard that whines about stuff. Man up and talk to them face to face. My 2 cents. They were very accommodating!

Now a fishing report, the entire system is down at least 2 ft maybe more. Watch for jugs marking the rocks and hidden reefs. Walleye were on any wind blown / current driven point. We did not catch any big fish but did not work too hard for them either. Even with the drought this year, we had 6-8" of rain last week, with 4 wind shifts. Not making excuses but just saying. We caught nice Crappies by accident fishing for Walleye. Pike were accidental catches while hunting the Muskies. As usual the bite was really good the last week of August. But had several other groups confirm this hot bite in late August. Muskies were on the the rock points and sunken Islands, our biggest fish came off a shelf of rock / cabbage and hit on top water. Overall we raised about 35 fish and landed 6 or 7 not gang busters but plenty of action for never being on the Lake before. Biggest fish wash 48" and very clean caught by a newbie and his first fish, going to be tough to upgrade after that one. 

After all is said it was a really good trip and miss the loons, eagles, and muskies already...... Maybe next year I will boat the 48! I will try and post the picture of the big girl as soon as I get a copy sent to me.

Mac

Post Your Comment
9/6/18 @ 2:59 PM
Mike C 2018
Mike C 2018
USER since 8/31/18

Mac,

We took 502 up the first time we went and thought the same thing.  Now we take Hwy 71 and that is what I'd recommend.  It only adds about 20 miles to the trip but the shoulders are wider and there are places to pull off if someone needs to make a pit stop. :-)

Good Luck and Safe Travels!!

Mike

Post Your Comment
9/6/18 @ 8:29 AM
sh5469
sh5469
USER since 10/4/02

We've stayed at Ray and Kathi's resort one year and it was fine. He wanted us to fish 3 guys to a boat so we left. All was fine, you'll do well there. We travel up highway 502 and hit a moose with the motorhome. Was told by the OPP to never travel it at night; too many moose and difficult to see until impact. When on 502, don't drive at night. It's not worth it. We've gone through Kenora and through Dryden and always travel through Dryden now. There are some tight curves but you know they're coming up so slow down and no problems. I think there was 5 minutes difference in travel time so not a big deal. Enjoy the lake. There are some huge muskys on Cedar.

Steve

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 5:05 PM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER since 9/23/01

Mike C thanks for your input I'm certain with your starting points and 3 good boats out there we will figure things out.

As far as the comments on the resort, I will make and report my own opinions. Anyone else can do the same, I have been to many places people rave about and found things that I was not fond of. Also have been to spots that have been put down and had the time of my life. Opinions are like a__holes everyone has one.

Any preference as to what Highway to take to Cedar Lake.

We used the 502 last year and although is had recently been worked on and was in fine shape, it seemed a little hairy is some spots with no shoulder to speak of. What is Hwy. 71 like maybe a little longer but it seems to be a better highway. Less nerve wrecking. Any comments appreciated,

Mac

Edited on 9/5/18 5:07 PM
Post Your Comment
9/2/18 @ 8:17 AM
CHISEL
CHISEL
USER since 6/19/01

One other thing that sticks out. The first time we went there one our guys woke up with a self inflicted illness and stayed back at camp when we left. Since he was stuck in camp by himself Ray told him to just take one of his camp boats out and never charged him for it.

Post Your Comment
9/2/18 @ 8:01 AM
CHISEL
CHISEL
USER since 6/19/01

No problems with Ray or Cedar Point at all. Been to probably half of the resorts on this chain and this one is my favorite. The central location makes it perfect for fishing which ever direction you want to go. A little rustic but I like that. My only complaint is years ago we had the chain to ourselves in Sept with very few people around. Now resorts are booked up through Sept due to some of the musky shows featuring Cedar lake in the fall.  

Post Your Comment
9/2/18 @ 7:56 AM
Swisscheese
Swisscheese
USER since 8/4/17

Great information . Thank ya .

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 841 Posts