Cedar Lake, Ontario

4/12/02 @ 9:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Poboy
Poboy
USER since 1/9/02
I am planning a trip to Cedar Lake in late June. I was wondering if any one has been there. Any suggestions? Patterns? Hot spots? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 808 Posts
3/15/18 @ 2:55 PM
BornToFish1
BornToFish1
USER since 3/5/13

Greetings,

I have considerable fishing on a lake very close to Cedar Lake.  It's far more important to select a good lake, than it is to select spring versus autumn fishing.  Good lakes have fish.  Fish eat all the time.  How and where you fish for these fish changes throughout the season.  Cedar Lake is a great lake.

Spring fishing is more a game of movement.  The fish are generally shallow and on the move chasing baitfish.  They are here today and often somewhere else tomorrow.  Presentations tend to be more horizontal.  You will likely have plenty of company wherever you end up fishing.

Autumn fishing is a game of little movement.  The fish tend to be schooled up on off-shore structure, and often in fairly deep water (30+ fow).  This intimidates many anglers for several reasons.  First, anglers need to know the location of rock humps and deep water points.  Second, many anglers are challenged to control their boats when fishing rock humps.  Third, many anglers are challenged to fish in deep water.  Many anglers are out of their comfort zones in autumn.

Given the choice of fishing spring versus autumn, I will take autumn fishing every time.  I know it's "game on" when I can pull up to a rock hump and catch one walleye, as I then know where they all are.  There are few boats on the water in September, as many anglers are home with their kids in school or are chasing deer with their bows.  Bugs are not a factor.

The downside of autumn can be weather.  You can experience the best and worst of Ontario's weather in the same day during September.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Post Your Comment
3/9/18 @ 9:04 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Looking at booking a trip out here either this fall or Spring 2019. Wondering if anyone has any input between spring vs fall fishing? I couldn't find any consistencies based on the posts...

Post Your Comment
7/31/17 @ 8:44 PM
Muskie44
Muskie44
USER since 7/12/15

22" walleye caught mid day on

East Cedar Lake. Live bait live bait is the ticket. Simple split shot and red hook with a leech.

tight lines,

Musky 44

Post Your Comment
7/30/17 @ 6:50 PM
Water Dog
Water Dog
USER since 6/18/01

Hwy. 17 between V. Bay and Dryden is all paved now. Still needs shoulder work and paint. 

502 there is still a lot going on but only had minor delays. I will say though to slow down for any bump signs. Guy in front of me yesterday busted the springs on his trailer. 

Also with the construction the OPP is patrolling the Hwy. a guy passed me and got nailed doing over 110 in a 80.  :)

Post Your Comment
7/30/17 @ 6:09 PM
Greyghost
Greyghost
USER since 6/24/01

How were the roads did you go up through dryden ? Heard there is road construction

WE fish in 4 weeks on Perault lake Sometimes there are lots of boats but there is also a lot of lake and water we never fish in a crowd unless it is th night bite on the reef then you anchor up and talk trash to all the boats fun part of the day.

Post Your Comment
7/30/17 @ 3:46 PM
Water Dog
Water Dog
USER since 6/18/01

Just got back from Cedar. Wow what a rat race. I will never go back during a moon faze. 

Every spot had boats on it. If you left a spot someone would pull in behind you to fish it. The pressure also effected the fish. Went from 8 follows and two blow ups at the boat to nothing by the end of the week. We even quit fishing Cedar and went to Perault and got some action. 

Some guys trolling were getting a fish now and then out of 30' of water  

Walleye fishing was painfully slow for those fishing them. 2 or 3 a night was the best we could muster. 

With the number of resorts on the lake and it's popularity I'm believing it's way over fished. I don't work that hard here at home to catch fish. 

Highlite of the trip was my grandkids catching up to 14" perch off the dock. 

Post Your Comment
7/28/17 @ 6:13 PM
bearfvr13
bearfvr13
USER since 7/18/14

Sorry musky44,....I sent you a PM that I meant to go to cajunmusky !!!  But now when I look for the send a message button,....cajunmusky doesn't have one?

Bear

Post Your Comment
7/28/17 @ 7:52 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

The whole horseshoe shape is Cedar. On the right side of highway 105.

Post Your Comment
7/28/17 @ 7:49 AM
Muskie44
Muskie44
USER since 7/12/15

Cedar Lake is 20 miles north

of Vermilion Bay on highway 105.

The follows we had for muskies were 5 of Diamonds, rattle traps,

and rapala husky jerks.

Dryden is 23 miles east of Vermilion Bay on highway 17.

Post Your Comment
7/28/17 @ 6:27 AM
cajunmusky
cajunmusky
USER since 8/22/05

Forgive my ignorance-  I am somewhat familiar with the Dryden/Eagle,Wabi/Dino fishing area, but I can't find Cedar Lake-  google shows Cedar Lake Ontario to be just north of Watertown, NY-  I can't believe somebody has to but bait in Dryden and drive 1200 mi to Cedar Lake-  where is this magical place?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 808 Posts