Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Kendor Upholstery

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Plmlk
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
4/30/12 8:28 PM CST
I'm looking for new carpeting for the boat - mine is starting to fray around the edges. I've gotten a few bids, including one from the manufacturer. Kendor is by far the most cost effective, it's not even close. I don't believe the pricing difference is in the quality of the material, as you can pick out basic carpet, or really high quality. The cost difference from what I can tell is in the labor. Anyone have custom carpet installed in their boat from Kendor. Are you happy with it? Just curious to hear from anybody who has experience with Kendor's upholstery division.

Plmlk
See Profile
4/29/13 6:36 PM CST
A few more...

The original carpeting pics are 6 or 7 posts down.

[This post was last edited on 4/29/13 at 6:39 PM]
Plmlk
See Profile
4/29/13 6:32 PM CST
Just picked the carpeting up this evening, I couldn't be happier. It fits absolutely perfect and looks awesome. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Here is the great part, I got a number of proposals, and the next nearest competitor was more than twice Kendor's price. All said and done it cost $315.00. Also, not sure if you can tell by the pics, but the carpet is twice as thick as the original with a solid rubber backing.

I would definitely recommend Kendor's upholstery to anybody in the market for new boat carpeting.

Plmlk
See Profile
4/26/13 8:55 PM CST
Got the call last week from Kendor, the carpeting is done. Just got the boat out of storage today.

I'll post some pics of how it turned out when I pick it up.

Plmlk
See Profile
4/5/13 4:47 PM CST
I would agree on their shelf items...

However, on upholstery I researched a number of places, nobody was even close. They were considerably less expensive and the carpet was of good quality. I'm anxious to get it back and see how it turned out.

iglootipup
See Profile
4/5/13 4:33 PM CST
From my own experience I personally think Kendor is overly priced on everything they sell even their used stuff Sad Angry Crying Wondering Sleepy Lips Sealed

Plmlk
See Profile
3/21/13 6:09 PM CST
Well, Kendor's upholstery guy is back from his Holiday. He called me today to ask me a few questions before he gets started. Won't be long now...

stangl52
See Profile
Level: General User
1/10/13 8:22 PM CST
i will definately contact them with a bid on the whole works once I get the old stuff torn up and the few soft spots repairs. its kind of fun working on the boat! Hoping it last a few years until the kids get older, then get something nicer.

I will look them up and see what kind of price they come in at.

Thanks for the advice!

Plmlk
See Profile
1/10/13 5:40 PM CST
I don't think the carpeting will cost you more than $100 or so Stangl. The carpeting that I picked out had a thick rubber backing for wear, and a tight weave so it won't hold much dirt or debris. It looks really nice too. I'm not sure about what Bass Pro Shops carries, but I thought Kendor was super reasonable.

Anyways, once you remove the old carpeting and replace the rotten wood you may want to consider snaps, rather than glue. The snaps are only .35 a piece. One part of the snap screws into the wood, the other simply pierces the carpet - nothing to it. Then you don't have to be so exact on your cuts and the carpet snaps out for easy cleaning with a garden hose.

I think some high quality carpeting will cost you $100, paying Kendor to sew a seam around it another $100, $20 bucks in snaps and your on your way.

I've attached a few pics. of my current carpeting so you can see what I'm talking about.

Also, thanks for the input Storm

[This post was last edited on 1/10/13 at 5:46 PM]
stangl52
See Profile
1/10/13 8:35 AM CST
i would be curious as to how "small" of a project they do.

I have an old fixer upper 15' fishing boat. Its got old carpet on and stuff, and a soft spot or 2 on the flooring. My spring project was to take off the seats (then rearrainge and possibly put newer seats in if I can afford it, but for sure rearrange), pull up the old carpet, fix the soft spots, put a hatch up on the front deck that built in to store life vests/fire extinguish below, then recarpet it, and then put the seats back on in a more user friendly manor.

I was going to just buy some marine carpet at bass pro or something and do it myself. I mean this boat is nothing fancy.........no livewells, no nothing fancy.......justa driving console with the old cables attached to a 69 evinrude that still runs fine. But being 31, starting a new career, by going back to school in a Physical Therapy Assistant program, with 2 small kids at home, its all I can afford right now! and it floats! It works good for the small lakes around SW Wisconsin that I fish. would it be worth having someone put the carpet in with material and labor included? or for something as simple as my boat, would it be just as easy to do it myself?

any suggestions would be appreciated! I want it to be nice, but for an older boat, I dont want to spend more than the boat itself is worth. I know carpet will be a few hundred bucks with adhesive.......is labor decent at this company? a hundred bucks or so would be worth it.

thanks in advance for suggestions!

[This post was last edited on 1/10/13 at 8:42 AM]
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
1/9/13 9:40 PM CST
I know they made a custom fit cover for my boat and it turned out really good. All corners and edges were reinforced with double material and double sticking. I was satisfied with their work.

Plmlk
See Profile
1/9/13 8:51 PM CST
I'll let you know when I get it back CDS, as well as post some pics.

The bad news...

Their upholstery guy is out of town until the end of February. Not that I'd be using the boat, but now that I've finally got around to doing it, I'm anxious to get it back.

cds
See Profile
1/9/13 5:33 PM CST
Please continue to keep us posted. I'm interested in how it all turns out.

Plmlk
See Profile
1/9/13 4:47 PM CST
So I've been slacking for a while on pulling the pin on new boat carpeting.

Dropped off the carpeting at Kendor this evening on the way home from work. I picked out a high quality rubber backed carpet, and there is no question that the carpeting is of a higher quality than the original carpeting that came with the boat. It is easily twice the thickness.

The carpet itself was $100, and their labor charge is $210. I'm really eager to see how it turns out.

I ended up getting 4 quotes - nobody else even came close. The other three wanted between $650 - $900.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook