Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

15 ft Grumman sport canoe - buying new motor

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Level: General User
4/30/12 6:46 AM CST
I've fished from a 60's era 15 ft Grumman sport canoe I inherited for the last 9 years. I love it. I started off with just a trolling motor. I've had several clasic 2 stroke motors the last 6 years. Most recently a 1956 Evinrude 7.5 HP. I'm ready to step up and buy a new 4 stroke motor. I'm thinking of the Mercury 4,5, or 6 HP models. The 4 HP has a built in tank which would be nice to save room. My old 7.5 pushes me around 7 MPH. I load her down pretty good at times. With 2 people and trolling motor batteries and equipment I estimate 600 to 700 lbs load. I'm hoping someone with experance with the same boat can give me an idea on the speed I can expect from a simular new 4 to 6 HP motor. I'm guessing 7.5 HP in 1956 does not equal 7.5 HP today. (I'm told the HP was measured at the head back then and at the prop today). I think safe top speed would be 12 to 15 MPH. How fast can I expect a new Mercury 4Hp or 6HP motor to push a set up like mine? I'm willing to spend for the 6HP but if I knew the 4 HP would push me 8 or 9 MPH I would go that route. The plate says I'm good for 10 HP and 1000lbs. I also had a friend tell me I'd miss a duel cylinder motor and a new single cylinder would shake and rattle. I look forward to your replys. Thanks, D.W.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate find us on facebook