Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Simple floor/deck for 14' deep V Mirrocraft

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

DannyD
DannyD
Level: General User
9/12/11 9:18 AM CST
Hi All,

I've got a 14' Mirrocraft with three bench seats. I'd like to have a flat floor for obvious comfort reasons. I'd like to keep it as light as possible and perhaps removable for cleaning, storage etc.

If anyone knows of any DIY sites or books that might offer plans I'd love to see them.

Thanks,

DD

DannyD
DannyD
9/21/11 9:29 AM CST
Thanks all, a big help. After posting this I was launching the boat & noticed the same boat with a slatted wood floor. Pretty simple & appeared pretty easy to level without losing depth. With that & your help I've got a plan.

DD

centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
9/15/11 3:56 PM CST
i am in the middle of doing the same thing.... got the floor and front deck in... i screwed the half inch plywood right too the ribs of the boat.. so i didnt waist the depth of the boat... middle seat gone... 3/4 inch for the front and back deck.. since im a bigger guy didnt want to fall through it... but ill be going for a little more power a 40 four stroke... we had another thread on this where my start pics are

lakeshiner
lakeshiner
9/14/11 9:52 AM CST
I modified an old 14' deep V Mirrocraft but my floor wasn't removable. I removed the middle bench seat and then took some width measurments from the front seat to the back seat. I didn't make it real wide otherwise you are just wasting space. I used 1/2" marine plywood and stainless screws. Remember when working on a boat, stainless is your friend unless you like rust. I used a treated 2x4 down the center of the floor to brace it in the middle, I just had to cut it at an angle that worked and notch it out over the ribs. Then I screwed plywood to the 2x4 and the sides of the plywood to each rib. Then instead of putting the middle seat back in I built little storage boxes in the middle and fastened them to the floor with angled aluminum. I built them just like the seat, so that they slid into the same brackets on the side. This way they were bolted to the brackets and to the floor. I left the center open so I could walk through, but having these little half seats bolted to the floor firmed up the middle of the boat again, which is what the middle seat does.

I also built a box in each back corner to store my batteries and other things. I had trays on top which came in handy when fishing. I also built a shelf between the back seat and the middle half seats, along the side of the boat. I put my depth finder and compass on one side and used the other side for fishing gear. I actually built a dry storage compartment in the front too for life jackets, etc. It turned out real nice, I'll have to see if I have pics. Unfortunately I sold the boat to upgrade to a bigger one, but I really wish I still had that 14'er.....

Speed wise, I could do 25 MPH or so with a 25 horse motor. With an 8 horse motor I did 16 MPH. That is by myself.

[This post was last edited on 9/14/11 at 10:02 AM]
RiverGuy
See Profile
9/14/11 9:12 AM CST
Ski231? did a great job modifying his old Mirrocraft into a very fishable boat. There was a thread on here with many pictures start to finish, but I can't find it anywhere using the search. Sorry. Anyone know where it's at?

Here's a couple crappy pics of my flatbottom I built. It was in sad shape when I got it. Someone in the past had even mounted 2 pedestal seats in it and drilled 4 holes for each right through the bottom of the boat! Idiots.

One pic shows what boat looks like with nothing in it. Hull was frozen and cracked in 2 spots and repaired solid. I fabricated removable floor and sidewall panels for it and added a center livewell unit, painted the outside olive drab, sidewall rod racks, fish finders front and back, anchormate, 4 rod holders, 2 pedestal seats, 4 anchor cleats, a small front deck for if I add a bowmount TM, running lights, 55lb transom trolling motor, and a backup 4 horse just in case. I want to add rope lights around the top under some J channel for night fishing. Also need a push pole (use my net now) and need a collapsible net to get it out of the way in the boat.

Nothing great but you can do a lot with little money if you have to. My favorite fishing partner likes it.

hogridnfool
hogridnfool
9/12/11 5:56 PM CST
Here's a site for aluminum boat conversions and modifications... http://www.tinboats.net/

sloshkosh
See Profile
9/12/11 5:20 PM CST
I added a subfloor to my 14 footer with benches a few years back. I just took 2 pieces of particle board that was laying around and 15 dollars in outdoor carpeting.

About 30 short decks screws and it looked very sharp. The way my boats ridgeds layed i didnt have to put anything under it for bracing but you might find hte need for a piece to support certain areas.

Cut the sheets to size, lay the outdoors carpeting on its good side down, ugly side up, put the board over it and fold the carpet over. Pull it tight and zip some screws in, or staples cut the leftovers. I didnt it becuase my boat leaked a bit, but it kept our feet dry, gear, the ladys purse, cell phones whatever, it also looked awesome and made the boat cleaner and more level to stand on.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook