Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Oil bath vs Grease hubs for boat trailer

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Tracer 170
See Profile
Level: General User
2/14/11 7:09 PM CST
Thanks for looking and for leaving your knowledge/ opinions. I need a new axle on my boat trailer and called the manufacturer, oil bath for $280 or grease for $332 plus shipping. I know that allot of bigger trailers and semi trailers are using oil bath, but I'm undecided and would like to hear some comments good or bad. Again thanks for your time and hopefully we can all gain some knowledge on this subject.

Tracer 170

bighammer
See Profile
2/21/11 9:40 AM CST
I think the only problem with the grease hubs is when changing or repacking bearing ,it get a little messy, I have had grease hubs for 15 years now and not one problem I repack them every year and check out bearings and have good luck in doing that Smile

Tracer 170
See Profile
2/20/11 6:50 PM CST
Thank you for your replys. I have come to the decision to go with the grease hubs. The reason I'm going for grease is that you could wind up with the same tear or hole on the seals causing a leak. If a leak happens in an oil bath system and the oil drains out the bearings will not have any lubrication and grease will still remain on the bearings and not leave you stuck on the side of the road with a burnt up bearing.

I do like the idea of the maintenance of the oil bath system, but you do need to keep a close eye on them to insure that you don't get a leak and lose the oil. Also keeping the temperature down on the longer trips.

No one, I've talked with could say one is better than the other, but I'm more familiar with grease hubs. So I guess thats why I made the decision I did.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope this can make someone else's decision easier.

Tracer 170

Savage25Dad
See Profile
2/19/11 11:14 PM CST
I've had both and prefer the oil bath. Current trailer (SKEETER 1850) originally came with grease but when I replaced the brake plates a few years ago I converted to oil bath and love 'em. Much easier to maintain and I use my boat in very cold conditions and feel the oil bath performs better. IF you decide to go with grease I agree with Turboman - go 100% synthetic. The Amsoil synthetic is waterproof.

cycleguy
See Profile
2/15/11 10:24 PM CST
I have oil on mine... probably 5-6 years with nothing. Can't say one is better though. Now if I could only get tires to last more than two seasons I'd never look at the wheels, well for the most part.

Hooky
Hooky
Level: MEMBER
2/15/11 5:55 PM CST
I have the oil bath on a 2006 Prestige trailer. No maintenance to date . I like them.

drummer boy
See Profile
2/15/11 8:25 AM CST
Bearings will run cooler with a oil bath system,but if you have a seal go out oil will just run out leaving very little lubricant.If a seal goes out with greased hubs at least the bearings will be lubed.Oil bath systems are easier to change lube though and if you keep an eye on them,work well.I personally think if you have a larger heavier rig like a large bass boat or walleye boat like a ranger 621 I would go with a oil system.On smaller boats I would go with grease,but either way keep an eye on them.

Johnnielund
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
2/15/11 7:36 AM CST
I have a 2007 Prestiege trailer. For what it's worth, this trailer came fitted with oil bath hubs. I have no complaints / problems.

Tracer 170
See Profile
2/14/11 8:16 PM CST
I should have also stated that I trailer allot. My boat has been from southern Wisconsin and up to northern Wisconsin and it has been out to Devils Lake North Dakota and thinking about making another trip out to North Dakota. I've had the trailer since 2002 and have not done much and currently have grease hubs.

fishdaily
See Profile
2/14/11 8:03 PM CST
Their was a debate on here a while back and i was thinking switching, but then people were having a problem with pin holes and bad experiences . I just put new grease bearings in and it is good.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook