Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

impeller good or bad

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Quagmire
Quagmire
Level: General User
6/14/10 5:32 PM CST
the motor used to pee water out good, then all of a sudden one day it was just a trickel, i tryed flushing it. so today i dropped the lower unit and took out the impeller. it doesnt look great, but not bad either. it fits real tight in the pump houseing. is this impeller bad? water was barely coming out. i went home cuz i was afriad it was gonna overheat.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
Mr. Fish 2
See Profile
9/19/10 9:43 AM CST
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, turn shaft clockwise when impeller is installed.

Ski2313
See Profile
9/18/10 2:29 PM CST
No need to draw pictures, just check how the old one's keyed up on the shaft.. that will tell you which way the impeller should be installed (assuming the last guy did it correctly haha)

Shagnasty
See Profile
9/17/10 11:23 PM CST
OK...just so I am sure...

No special tools, just mechanical aptitude. I will look for the online tutorials.

Shag

[This post was last edited on 9/17/10 at 11:47 PM]
muskie-addict
See Profile
9/15/10 6:50 PM CST
why would you go thru the trouble to pull it out and not replace it.

Ding, ding, ding!!! Give that man a cigar. Best sentence on here.

Ya got the thing out already, if you have to ask or its been a few years......just do it. The hard part is done, or, half of it anyway.

Steve's advice on changing them out every 3 years is probably a good idea.

Ron G
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
9/15/10 6:13 PM CST
1. change the impeller.

2. Run a light weight wire through the hole to make sure it is clear.

ffishman
ffishman
9/15/10 5:56 PM CST
Do it yourself. Its not that hard, and there is a ton of demo's on line on how to do it.

Steve @ G & S
See Profile
9/15/10 3:29 PM CST
If you take care and watch exactly how things came apart, and you're fairly mechanically apt, you shouldn't have any problem with changing out the impeller.

I change out the entire pump assembly every three years on my outboards, and I've never had any problems either with handling the repair or with the motor overheating.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Shagnasty
See Profile
9/14/10 9:52 PM CST
Been wondering about this subject...I have a 2007 Opti 115 that still pees like crazy, but I have almost 115 hours on the motor. No problems with sucking mud or dirt in because I am pretty careful. I have heard that the impeller should be changed every 3 years. So here's my impeller question:

Is it something I can change myself (fairly mechanically inclined) or do I bite the bullet and haul it to the dealer?

Shag

'da Coach
See Profile
6/16/10 9:17 AM CST
Ditto the comments about replacing the pump, I just replaced the water pump in my '93 40HP Mariner Magnum (with great input from ml2trick, thanks again, BTW!), so now I feel like an "expert", lol.

In my case, the dealer I bought the boat from six years ago said they'd replaced the impeller when they took it in on trade, and it performed well up until this spring. When I threw on the earmuffs and fired it up in the driveway this year, the water was trickling out of the tell-tale hole and was too hot to the touch (@ 130 degrees). Since I hadn't addressed the water pump since I bought the boat, I figured, rather than replacing the impeller only, which would run @ $20, I'd be better off getting the whole pump housing kit (@ $75), which included gaskets as well. That way, I knew I'd have a definitive baseline of exactly what was replaced when.

Since this was my first go at pulling a LU, it took me a bit longer than it normally should, but overall, not too tough a fix, and now that it's done, the pump is running well and there's a robust stream of water pumping out of the tell-tale hole.

Do yourself a favor, as these other guys have posted, don't take a chance on damaging the power head by going cheap, in the long run a full kit replacement is insurance against potentially serious damage to the motor.

When you figure the cost of replacing a 20HP motor, the cost of a pump kit is a relative bargain!

ml2trick
ml2trick
6/15/10 8:02 PM CST
THAT WATER PUMP IS SHOT!!!!!!!!!,i have been a marine mech for a long time and if your housing is in good shape not melted or wore out inside with grooves then just pick up a water pump and install and you should be fine.OH AND ALWAYS INSTALL WATER PUMP CLOCKWISE LOOKING DOWN AT WATER PUMP IMPELLER.ALWAY'S!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE I TELL CUSTOMERS,RUN GOOD OIL, CHANGE YOUR LOWER UNIT GEAR LUBE IN FALL AND CHANGE YOUR WATER PUMP EVERY 2 TO 3 YEARS CONSIDERING WHAT CONDITIONS YOU USE THE MOTOR IN AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD 2 GO.

gmjammer
See Profile
6/15/10 1:35 AM CST
i know all motors are gonna be different prices but before you buy your impeller on ebay call your local merc dealer my '92 40horse only cost $10 brand new from the dealer. And i agree its junk while its out change it before you have to buy a new motor Puke.

Quagmire
Quagmire
6/14/10 11:16 PM CST
its not really that hard to drop the lower unit. its only two 1/2 inch nuts and one 9/16 nut and a 1/4 inch allen screw. it only took like 20 minutes. no thermostat, its a 20 hp 1973 merc motor. further update: i reinstalled the impeller and ran it in a garbage can of water. same symptoms, water comes out pee hole but hardly at all. i geuss i will try a new impeller, hopefully it works. i saw one on ebay for about 18 bucks.

Plmlk
See Profile
6/14/10 8:09 PM CST
Sure looks shot, they don't all have the same curve to them. X2 with Steve's thoughts. Get the whole kit not just the impeller. As long as you have everything apart you might as well check out the thermostats. They should say the temp. rating right on them. You can put them in a pot of water and heat it up slowly. If you have a digital thermometer you can see at what temp. they open. Sometimes the t-stats get a bunch of junk in them. It does not take more than a couple of minutes to check.

poptop
See Profile
6/14/10 8:03 PM CST
why would you go thru the trouble to pull it out and not replace it. put a new one in and back flush the cooling system then see what happens

ffishman
ffishman
6/14/10 5:41 PM CST
Impellers get a "set" to them. Yours has that. Its time to replace it.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook