Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Should I tow my boat w/ or w/o cover on?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Bud Wiser
Bud Wiser
Level: General User
5/28/10 11:06 AM CST
I'm heading north with a 17' Alumacraft and wondering if there is a better way to tow as far as drag goes. Thanks.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 32
Hookin Jaw
See Profile
6/9/10 12:29 PM CST
probably have over 5000 highway miles on my boat, all covered. No damage at all. Custom snap on cover, by Howard Lohaus in Cottage Grove, WI.

X4

fishmunkee
See Profile
6/9/10 11:14 AM CST
probably have over 5000 highway miles on my boat, all covered. No damage at all. Custom snap on cover, by Howard Lohaus in Cottage Grove, WI.

X3

the_dude
the_dude
6/9/10 8:25 AM CST

X2

fishs
fishs
Level: MEMBER
6/5/10 4:24 PM CST
Well Bud Wiser , with all the replies to your dilemma. What did you decide to do?????????

tazman7
tazman7
6/5/10 2:37 PM CST
The one time I pulled my ski boat it started raining and my cover stretched out. So now i take it off to travel

I did however have the front of my cover made so it extended down so it snaps into the trailer to prevent rock chips in the front of my boat.

Was a good idea at the time but I paid around $750 for the cover to be custom made and after pulling it once and seeing it stretch a little I decided to take it off when I travel now.

Still a great cover though. Would recommend M&M Upholstery in Machesney Park Illinois to anybody.

Here is a pic of my interior and cover..

[This post was last edited on 6/5/10 at 2:39 PM]
Toddj
See Profile
6/5/10 10:22 AM CST
""I work at the bait shop in waterford on the fox and we make boat covers and the only thing I will tell you is DO NOT TRAILER THE BOAT WITH THE COVER ON. custom or crap walmart cover. It does not matter they will pull the seams and possibly rub a hole in it." "

Hmmmmm

we have never repaired any of ours. scotts covers are awesome.

Contradict yourself much?

I will put my custom cover on for long distance towing. Never have I had a problem.

Guidedfishing
See Profile
6/5/10 9:13 AM CST
One thing I can tell you is every setup is different.

Ask yourself the question why do you have a boat cover. I don't think the first considerations was mpg on the tow vehicle. Mine was to protect the boat and the contents.

I trailer my boat alot, more than I care to, and here are several things to consider.

Depending on how your cover is fitted and the backing (felt) in critical area's it can wear on your boat finish.

I know on my boat and motor cover that fits cleanly my boat, tow vehicle milage is reduced between 1.5 and 2 mpg depending on speed. That being said When I'm traveling several hundred miles at a time I like my cover on, you never know what weather, dirt roads and dust you will run thru, and when making stops there is a little less worry on reach in's.

If I'm going a short distance and confident of weather and road conditions I will leave the cover off. Then you need to make sure all gear is properly stowed so cushions, vest, or what ever items which are not sufficently dense enough to keep them in the boat don't blow out.

Bottom line if you don't use your cover for keeping weather & road out, and gear in whats the purpose. If your cover tears up your boat finish they you have improperly fitting cover. If you want to leave your cover off for improved mileage go for it. If your cover improves your mileage then all the better.

The only time I will leave my cover off on long trips is if the boat has been soaked due to weather and wave conditions on the previous fishing trip and it needs an opportunity to dry out if weather conditions permit.

This all comes down to common sense and what works for you and what is your objective protect the boat and gear, good mileage or both.. Everyone will be different.

good luck GF

musky1011
musky1011
6/3/10 5:08 PM CST
I leave the cover off when traveling*** The new alumacraft I bought the cover actually rubs the clearcoat off the boat*** I would rather have less mpg's than a boat with the paint rubbed off in spots

fishhook
fishhook
6/3/10 4:16 PM CST
2006-year of new boat,& custom cover.

10,000 miles-estimated low end miles on boat,& custom cover.

still going strong.

Middleton1
See Profile
6/3/10 9:52 AM CST
I always to with the cover on if going any great distance. I have an 18 year old drawstring cover that has a ton of miles for the old boat and a snap on cover that is 6 years old for the "new" boat that has many miles as well. Neither has ever needed a repair. Both from Howard Lohaus, both excellent covers.

[This post was last edited on 6/3/10 at 9:55 AM]
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
6/2/10 8:36 PM CST
Not to pile on... Sad

I probably have over 5000 highway miles on my boat, all covered. No damage at all. Custom snap on cover, by Howard Lohaus in Cottage Grove, WI.

fish4anything
fish4anything
6/2/10 7:35 PM CST
I don't do the upholstery and we have never repaired any of ours. scotts covers are awesome. I have seen so many people bring in covers ripped from tailoring them mostly the sun tracker pontoon covers but others also. I think I would know more than most people but a lot of people on here are quick too smart off and try and argue so this is me saying good luck with getting any answers from anyone because people are so quick to jump down your throat that no one is going to want to add a reply because of the way some of the people on here act.

wisconysportsman
wisconysportsman
6/2/10 3:31 PM CST
between me and my dad, if its a local trip cover off, if we going more then an hour or so the cover goes on, hes driven with the cover on for years and never had a problem with anything but the cheap walmart covers, our lund had a custom cover when we bought it used for towing and has made many four hour trips up north and nine hour trips to minnesota and it doesnt have any rips or tears at all

fish4anything
fish4anything
6/2/10 12:27 PM CST
I forgot to tell you guys where the fish are biting...... In the water

fish4anything
fish4anything
6/2/10 12:25 PM CST
covers we make are very good all reinforced. just not worth towing with any cover snaps can be ripped among other things you should see some of the repair jobs we get on all kind of covers all brands and customs But you probbably know more than I do so I will just keep my info to myself and keep making money off the know it alls.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 32
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link.com find us on facebook