Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Drain Plug Installation - Inside or Outside?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

mjbailey
mjbailey
Level: General User
3/30/08 11:35 AM CST
I am new to the boating world and have a 14' aluminum boat with a 9.9hp motor. What, if any, is the correct way to install your drain plug? I figured that if you installed it from the inside, if it were to fall out you won't lose it. I did tie a small rope to the drain plug and also to the boat figuring if it ever did fall out I wouldn't lose it. I just didn't know if there was a proper way or it didn't really matter. I looked through the previous forums and didn't see this issue addressed. Thank you for your input, it IS appreciated. -mj Tight lines and big fish.

alaska123
See Profile
4/1/08 10:02 AM CST
I used to keep my plug on the outside until I accidentally sunk my boat one day. I was in Alaska deer hunting and I had a plug with a handle on the outside. When we deer hunt we usually will anchor our boat offshore in about 10 to 15 feet of water. Since the tide rises and falls up to 30 feet every 6 hours, at some point your boat will be high and dry. When I came back to the boat it was no where to be seen. After looking closer all I cold see was the blue canopy. When we got the boat home (long story) the plug was missing. All we could think that happened is that when the water started coming back in the handle on the plug hit a rock and the plug fell out. So from now on i always have the plug in inside.

FISHEAD
See Profile
3/31/08 9:23 PM CST
I think it depends more on your boat and the type of hole the plug fits in and the type of plug your useing . My 1st boat a Ozark tri hull was out side with a handle type. 2nd boat a Ranger was out side with a T you turned to tighten. 3rd boat a Lund inside with a T, and a 14ft lund inside with a handle, its a self draing type of boat like you see the outfitters in Canada use.

Mr. G
Mr. G
3/31/08 8:38 PM CST
On my old boat the drain hole was easily accessible from the inside, so I kept the plug inside. On my current rig its very difficult to get to the drain from the inside, so I now keep it on the outside... Either way works.

drummer boy
See Profile
3/31/08 1:48 PM CST
I also keep it on the out side with the lever up much easier to get at.

Mikey68
See Profile
3/31/08 1:08 PM CST
Outside...it's easier for me with my 92 Tracker that way I don't accidentally unplug anything on the inside like bilge pump wires or battery wires. It's easier to pop it in and out after I pull it out of the water and if for some reason there is any water it drains out on the way home.

Mike

walleyeman1
walleyeman1
3/30/08 6:06 PM CST
Outside...

I owned a 14 footer for ten years, always on the outside. Made it a habit when I was pulling the boat from the water to pull the plug and leave it in the splash tray - next time at the launch, you can get to it and easily see if it's in or out. I guess it's personal preference. Heck, I leave it on the outside of my 17 and my 19 footers. Way easier to get to and you can easily see it's either there or not. Never had a problem yet - always keep a spare in the boat in case I do....

Good Fishin,

Walleyeman

fishinmedic
See Profile
3/30/08 5:24 PM CST
inside

ffishman
ffishman
3/30/08 4:29 PM CST
Mines on the inside

muskieboy2
muskieboy2
3/30/08 3:17 PM CST
I put it in from the inside too- Alumacraft Lunker LTD as well! It's a tight fit around the bilge pump and rear framing as Musky Addict said, but I haven't yet had a reason to take it out during the season, so only installing/removing once a year for winterizing isn't a big deal. I'd hate to lose it somehow on the water.

The Lund resort boats we have where we go up north have them installed from the inside too. I like to run the rain water out of them by yanking the plug and buzzing a few laps around the lake- never fails, I always forget to put it back in when docking again. idiot...

If it's the screw-in type, that has to go in from the outside, obviously...

[This post was last edited on 3/30/08 at 3:19 PM]
gray fox
gray fox
Level: MEMBER
3/30/08 2:35 PM CST
I believe that most people put it on the outside. Main thing is that you have a tight fit plus it wouldn't hurt to carry a spare with you -----GOOD FISHIN Cool

MuskyAddict
See Profile
3/30/08 12:12 PM CST
I had a difficult time trying to get my plug in from the inside with the bilge pump mounted where it is and some framing next to it (2002 Alumacraft Lunker 165 LTD). I figured as long as the locking lever is up out of the water drag there shouldn't be a problem putting it in from the outside. I've had it in this way since I got the boat in fall 2002 and have never had an issue. IMHO as long as you have a tight fitting plug and check it every so often, there shouldn't be an issue with installing it on the outside. Of course if I could install it from the inside, I would.

~MA~

sloshkosh
See Profile
3/30/08 11:45 AM CST
Most people have it one the inside, wont lose it, usually easier to get at, but either way will hold I would imagine.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook