SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

15 to 20 hp new outboards help.

11/13/15 @ 8:24 PM
INITIAL POST
beerbatter
User since 1/19/02
im thinking about buying a new outboard in 15 to 20 hp range. im leaning towards honda, but open for suggestions. thanks.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
11/25/15 @ 10:49 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
if you can go 25, on of the sweetest motors I ever owned was a 2001 Merc 25 2stroke... sold it when I upgraded to a bigger boat... sweet engine, sipped gas, and the throttle/reverse shift/forward shift, all in the twist grip, was awesome
11/25/15 @ 10:37 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01
Don't forget to check current resale values brand x to z, might make a difference down the road. Probably a more important factor would be dependal dealer service should you need it.
11/25/15 @ 5:50 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
HT- I have a 150 hp 2010 Etec and absolutely love it - hands down the most reliable motor I've owned. Starts every time and just goes! At any rate, a few years back the smaller Etecs (under 60 hp) had cylinder issues. Have they gotten that figured out? Just curious.
11/25/15 @ 1:53 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13
Most of the four stroke 15-20 are good engines. I would not discount the Tohatsu. They make good motors and they are less $. One thing to think about in this HP. Is the fact the 15 and 20 are based on the same engine in most cases. I would expect the 15 to perform well but the extra $ for the 20hp will get you very little. If your boat is max 20hp you are limited to these small displacement engines - around 350cc. If you can run a 25hp you'll see a big difference in performance and acceleration. In the 25hp class the ETEC is by far the clear winner on performance and has had a great reliability record. Also offers features no one else has. I know there are those who will argue with the opinion ETEC is superior in this class. If they have experienced all the new products I feel most would agree. I'm not saying ETEC is better in all hp classes.
11/23/15 @ 6:26 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
I have a Yamaha 15 hp 4-Stroke. It's very low hours, but 15 years old. It's been pretty good but I think I would go with Honda 1st, next Yamaha.
11/21/15 @ 4:10 PM
cootpatrol
User since 2/10/08
I have a mercury 30hp that I bought new and am pretty disappointed in it, I should have just bought a tohatsu in the first place and been money ahead as that's what ive been told it is. My buddy has a 40hp honda he bought the same time and its built like a tank, we trap out of it and it gets the snot beat out of it and it just doesn't give up.
11/19/15 @ 7:57 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I would definately go with a 4 stroke. No gas to mix, easier to start, and run much smoother. Yes some of the companies are having Tahatsu manufacture their smaller motors for them, but they have been doign that for at least 10 years. Complete non issue.
11/19/15 @ 5:36 AM
YonkerS
User since 1/28/13
Bought my Honda 15 new back in 1995. It's been virtually a trouble-free engine & has been a consistent 2 pull max start even after winter hibernation. Another variable to consider is the alternator output if you have a bunch of electronics-GPS, VHF, fish finder, stereo etc.
11/18/15 @ 4:05 AM
beerbatter
User since 1/19/02
Thanks for advice all. Im going to try and make boat show in milwaukee and try and wheel and deal with some of the dealers. Ive used some smaller yamaha motors in canada in the past,and there quite smooth motors. Ive never owned or used a honda,but was just thinking they have alot of experience building 4 strokes.
11/17/15 @ 6:13 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
I'm a big Etec fan nif, easily the best motor I've owned. That said, although the larger HP's are rock solid, the smaller HP Etecs have had more than their share of problems. I'd stay away from the smaller HP Etecs...
11/15/15 @ 11:57 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04
Be careful in that HP range, as many of the larger companies are having Tohatsu make their smaller motors. I'm not sure if the 15-20 range would be included in that, but it would be something that I would check out. As with any marine product you buy, be sure to check out the dealer. Service after the sale is very important!
11/14/15 @ 9:11 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
You cannot go wrong with a four cycle. Quiet power and dependable. I agree with the Yamaha, but think the bigger brands out there all do well. My little T8 Yamaha is quite the little motor. I think it would be hard to beat a Honda, but be ready to fork out more cash. They are a good motor, but they are pricey.
11/14/15 @ 6:57 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02
I have a 15hp 4 stroke yamaha on a 14ft lund and it moves along quite well. I have a 4hp 4 stroke yamaha on a 12ft boat that I just use for trolling and it works great.
11/14/15 @ 4:13 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
I cant say aot abt other brands but I am for Yamaha, I own aneight horse Yamaha on an a larger 14 alummcraft with gear and 2 people planes out nicely and seems quite fast ,,,it is a 4 stroke
11/14/15 @ 3:55 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
I would stay with Yamaha, Mercury or Etec.... had them all loved them all I do hear good thing about Suzuki as well
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE