SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

40HP Johnson Rough Idle

10/13/15 @ 8:49 PM
INITIAL POST
tunes
PRO MEMBER User since 5/25/08
I have a 1989 40 HP Johnson that runs great at anything over an idle speed. When slowing down to an idle to approach a dock/pier or trying to troll, it runs rougher than a cob. I have changed out the plugs, gas tank and gas with no improvement. On a side note, some time back I had a 1984 40 HP Johnson with the same problem, do these motors have a design flaw that causes them to be rough idling motors?? Looking for someone who can get it running right. I live in SE WI, however, I'm willing to travel to get the job done correctly. Thanks in advance
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
10/19/15 @ 2:20 PM
GARY J
User since 1/26/12
I have a 1966 Johnson 40 hp and had the same problem last year & all summer long this year, Around the end of and, the beginning of Sept, I was out fishing and on the trip back to the dock ai refused to idle/run at low rpm. I opened the frond access cover & found fuel running out of the carburetor throat. It turned out to be the carb float was "water logged". i spent $35 for a carb kit and replace j=the float, needle & seat & gaskets....it runs like a clock again. It doesn't even 'backfire' when first staring when cold anymore.
10/15/15 @ 8:01 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
Sounds like you need to adjust the carbs. I'd do that after running some sea foam through it.
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE