MORE
Boats & Motors

2001 evinrude ficht 115 loss of top end and hole shot

8/7/14 @ 8:23 AM
INITIAL POST
rapattack
rapattack
User since 2/16/12
Anyone have this problem. engine runs and starts fine exept at full power. I changed plugs and indexed, no help. I read possibly a throttle linkage grommet poss. or fuel filter?? Thanks for any help.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/9/14 @ 8:52 PM
ml2trick
ml2trick
User since 6/18/01
Ulbunion. Are you the Master Tech. We have all been waiting for. Thanks for showing up and helping with all our needs. Thanks for sending that guy all your wisdom.
8/9/14 @ 4:14 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
"It is a Ficht.........Junk," Rifelman, You are partially correct when you say that but not with the smaller Fichts from that era. The 90's and 115's (4 cylinders) were fine and are solid motors. The major problems where the Ficht name got a very bad reputation were the V6's. The V6 150hp and 175hp 60 degree engines had the problems. It was the same engine but a different chip in the computer and the issue was in the EMM. The over 200hp Fichts from 2000 that were 90 degree motors had a recall because the bolts that held the injectors were too small, causing some to leak fuel. This was rectifed with a simple fix...replacing the smaller bolts with bigger bolts. If you have one that still runs you have a decent one. The other thing with that comment is that by 2001 (which is the year that the OP said he has) those issues were for the most part worked out. It was the first year or two of that motor where the problems existed. Once the problems were identified on the bigger engines and updates were available, and if those updates were made on the 90's and 115's you were fine. I have a 115 that is a '99. In about 2003 I scored two cylinders but that was the result of the previous owner not doing the updates on it. Woe is me. Other pretty basic issues have come up that would come up with any make or model of an outboard motor. I sent the OP a detailed private message which walked through the stuff I've learned on mine (since it is the same size and two years older) and how I've had a similar issue to what he described and walked through the process of figuring out what that issue is. I don't regret for one minute having that motor and would not be scared away by a Ficht in that size range. Those sizes are fine, it's the V6's that had the real problems.
8/8/14 @ 11:26 PM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
User since 4/16/11
It is a Ficht.........Junk, and if they hold together.You have a good one. Sounds to me like a cylinder problem and its sounds like only 1 cylinder down. Like other guy "said". Check your plugs over and look for a dis-color. Wet means a dead fire and nice golden brown is the Best.
8/8/14 @ 9:08 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Could be lots of things... Doesn't sound like a spun hub because your RPMs would be high, your engine would run fine, and your boat wouldn't get up on plane. Pull out all of your plugs, if a cylinder is being dragged along for the ride with no spark, one of the plugs should look very different from the rest. If it isn't spark it is fuel. Clean the carbs, run some sea foam, and change the fuel filter. Also, when your engine starts to sputter, try pumping the primer bulb. If it runs fine, you have a fuel delivery problem. Lastly, you should check your compression. Does it start hard? Engines with low compression can be a bear to start...
8/8/14 @ 6:41 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
could be water in the gas thats what ares did
8/7/14 @ 12:02 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
I sent you a PM
8/7/14 @ 10:13 AM
rapattack
rapattack
User since 2/16/12
does not seem like prop because the engine itself sputters and cuts out at full power.
8/7/14 @ 10:09 AM
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
User since 7/14/07
I had that problem with an older motor and it was the prop slipping when under stress. The bushing inside the prop slips after awhile. Something easy to look at and fix.
8/7/14 @ 8:38 AM
Steve @ G & S
User since 6/15/01
It could be a fuel issue. I'd check the primer bulb and see if it's flattened out or firm when you're running. And change the fuel filter anyway, most guys don't do that often enough.... But it's also possible that you have a worn or slipping prop hub. Formerly Steve @ G & S
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE