SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

steering issue

7/21/14 @ 5:43 PM
INITIAL POST
mukluk fisherman
User since 1/7/10
I got a 4hp Mariner I just bought and noticed today while trolling, I happened to look back at the motor because I replaced the impeller and was making sure it was peeing water and noticed that while going straight the tiller was actually turned to go left and when I turned it straight it wehnt way right. I have had alot of motors over the years and never have run into this. Any ideas guys?
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
7/23/14 @ 8:18 PM
mukluk fisherman
User since 1/7/10
the 4hp is the main and only motor on a 14' aluminum boat. I have had everything from a 2hp to a '68 9.5 Evinrude, with 3 different 6 hp motors on this boat. As I said I have never had this happen before so not sure what to think. I will have to check to see if it has a trim tab.
7/23/14 @ 3:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
How big of a boat are you running a 4 hp kicker on and what was the HP of the other motors that you’ve had? Fish Hound is spot on with his answer. The smaller the motor, the lower the thrust and the more it has to compensate for being off center. I had a 7.5 hp kicker mounted on the left side of the main on my older 18 ft boat. It didn’t have the steering linkage from the main to the kicker like my new boat does and I used to just lock the kicker in place and use my main motor as a rudder. I never measured the exact angle but I would lock it in at an angle that looked like it should have turned the boat left but it would track nice and straight.
7/22/14 @ 7:15 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
If it's located of to the side of your main motor it may look like that because it's pushing off center and is actually steered a bit left to push the boat "straight".
7/21/14 @ 7:50 PM
BROWNING 1972
User since 2/10/12
Is there a trim tab above the prop? If turn it to the right I believe.
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE