Yamaha vs Mercury outboard

11/30/17 @ 10:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
froztundra
froztundra
USER since 11/30/17

I'm looking to buy a new 18.5 ft Lund boat and I noticed they all come with Mercury outboard motors (I think Brunswick owns both companies). I currently have a 2001 Lund with a Yamaha 80 HP that I will be giving to my son.  The Yamaha motor has been great and I would like a Yamaha (150HP) on the new boat. I would like some opinions and feedback on which motor to get. (or if I can even get a Yamaha outboard on a new Lund). I welcome any ideas or opinions, Thanks!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 100 Posts
4/17/18 @ 8:27 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

How is the gas mileage on those 1-pass :) lol - just having a little bit of fun!

Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 6:59 AM
1pass
1pass
USER since 6/27/17

Kinda not on the topic here but probably will not be using my boat soon.

1pass's list of best snowblowers.

1. One you never have to use

2. Your neighbor s with him behind it.

3. Yours with your wife behind it.

Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 5:47 AM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

Here we go AGAIN !( My brothers uncle third cousin had a ( insert name of motor) it was a piece of Junk! Buy a Yamaha! Get over it!Grandad!

Post Your Comment
4/15/18 @ 8:49 AM
slipery
slipery
USER since 1/30/11

Good Morning ; My Brother has friends on Shawano Lake they both purchased E tech They put many hours on the lake fishing . I believe to be 2013 models , 1 friend took out Power head first year covered warranty had some more issues warranty covered . The other friend also had problems . Long story short 3 summers of little things and taking back to dealer , They both traded in for Yami . 2 years with no problems . I think they where 75 hp and 90 hp not sure but I know they where mid range hp E tech . 

Post Your Comment
3/31/18 @ 7:38 AM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

Froztundra Buy the boat and Motor you LIKE! I am sure you will be satasified with any Motor you choose! To bad civil truthful opinions are sometimes lost in the shuffle!Best of luck with your new Rig! Grandad

Post Your Comment
3/31/18 @ 5:44 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

1pass(Tom), any new developments you would like to share concerning the Asian Carp?

I have 7 boats now (nothing over 50hp) mostly Mercs and two older Evinrudes. I have had at least one boat for 40 years. My favorite motor a late 70's 6 hp Evinrude has given me the most grief , a coil about 15 years ago and a new pull start rope about 10 years ago, not terrible for 40 years. I did have to put a new starter in the 50 Merc about 4 years ago. I have to be honest 1pass, I know practically nothing about motors the size you are referencing(so I guess we are on even ground there) 

Post Your Comment
3/30/18 @ 7:58 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

I've been trying to avoid posting on this thread all week but seeing as it's Friday, Good Friday at that, I just can't help myself.

When I bought my current motor I asked the dealer what kind of gas mileage I could expect. His response was "if you are concerned about mileage you shouldn't be buying this motor" Classic LOL. It's a 225 OptiPOP. It runs good. I have an early 90's, I think, 15hp Rude. It runs good. I have a 9.9 BigFoot Merc. It runs good. Have had a Johnson, Rude, Yam 4stk, and Merc in the past. They all ran good. I also do not worry about gas during a day on the water. Don't have any friends with significant motor problems.

No disrespect to anyone at all but this purse swinging on the internet is hilarious. I guess that might be a little disrespectful, sorry.

Happy Easter. Carry on Gentlemen.

Post Your Comment
3/29/18 @ 7:06 PM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03

Well said grandad !

and shane have to agree with you on that one.

Post Your Comment
3/29/18 @ 5:56 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Who really thinks about fuel economy when you're enjoying a day out fishing? Jeeeez Tom I mean 1pass.

Post Your Comment
3/29/18 @ 5:41 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

I think it is time for 1pass to slither off.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 100 Posts