SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Yamaha vs Mercury outboard

11/30/17 @ 10:41 PM
INITIAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

I'm looking to buy a new 18.5 ft Lund boat and I noticed they all come with Mercury outboard motors (I think Brunswick owns both companies). I currently have a 2001 Lund with a Yamaha 80 HP that I will be giving to my son.  The Yamaha motor has been great and I would like a Yamaha (150HP) on the new boat. I would like some opinions and feedback on which motor to get. (or if I can even get a Yamaha outboard on a new Lund). I welcome any ideas or opinions, Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts
4/24/18 @ 11:25 AM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Good Morning ; How better than to hear stories from events of peoples motor issues , I think those are called reviews , If your sources are credible this can help in your. buying knowledge . Simple math add it up and this may give you help in you decision , I have asked question of members and I trust my fellow man , Makes no cents to BS what would be the gain If we cant help each other , Than we are no better WASHINGTON . Pete

4/17/18 @ 8:27 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

How is the gas mileage on those 1-pass :) lol - just having a little bit of fun!

4/16/18 @ 6:59 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Kinda not on the topic here but probably will not be using my boat soon.

1pass's list of best snowblowers.

1. One you never have to use

2. Your neighbor s with him behind it.

3. Yours with your wife behind it.

4/16/18 @ 5:47 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Here we go AGAIN !( My brothers uncle third cousin had a ( insert name of motor) it was a piece of Junk! Buy a Yamaha! Get over it!Grandad!

4/15/18 @ 8:49 AM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Good Morning ; My Brother has friends on Shawano Lake they both purchased E tech They put many hours on the lake fishing . I believe to be 2013 models , 1 friend took out Power head first year covered warranty had some more issues warranty covered . The other friend also had problems . Long story short 3 summers of little things and taking back to dealer , They both traded in for Yami . 2 years with no problems . I think they where 75 hp and 90 hp not sure but I know they where mid range hp E tech . 

3/31/18 @ 7:38 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Froztundra Buy the boat and Motor you LIKE! I am sure you will be satasified with any Motor you choose! To bad civil truthful opinions are sometimes lost in the shuffle!Best of luck with your new Rig! Grandad

3/31/18 @ 5:44 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

1pass(Tom), any new developments you would like to share concerning the Asian Carp?

I have 7 boats now (nothing over 50hp) mostly Mercs and two older Evinrudes. I have had at least one boat for 40 years. My favorite motor a late 70's 6 hp Evinrude has given me the most grief , a coil about 15 years ago and a new pull start rope about 10 years ago, not terrible for 40 years. I did have to put a new starter in the 50 Merc about 4 years ago. I have to be honest 1pass, I know practically nothing about motors the size you are referencing(so I guess we are on even ground there) 

3/30/18 @ 7:58 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I've been trying to avoid posting on this thread all week but seeing as it's Friday, Good Friday at that, I just can't help myself.

When I bought my current motor I asked the dealer what kind of gas mileage I could expect. His response was "if you are concerned about mileage you shouldn't be buying this motor" Classic LOL. It's a 225 OptiPOP. It runs good. I have an early 90's, I think, 15hp Rude. It runs good. I have a 9.9 BigFoot Merc. It runs good. Have had a Johnson, Rude, Yam 4stk, and Merc in the past. They all ran good. I also do not worry about gas during a day on the water. Don't have any friends with significant motor problems.

No disrespect to anyone at all but this purse swinging on the internet is hilarious. I guess that might be a little disrespectful, sorry.

Happy Easter. Carry on Gentlemen.

3/29/18 @ 7:06 PM
poptop
User since 10/1/03

Well said grandad !

and shane have to agree with you on that one.

3/29/18 @ 5:41 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I think it is time for 1pass to slither off.

3/29/18 @ 4:03 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Yes Grandad, your 50 years of personal outboard experience is wrong because it does not align with the experience of 1pass. (Note: 1pass has never actually owned an Evinrude, but he heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, that they are junk, so it is so. Reliability surveys and performance reports from industry leaders mean nothing - pure drivel!)   

When your life depends on your outboard motor, the folks who know (like 1pass) choose Yamaha.  (Lol, I love that one, it may be my favorite 1pass quote.  I think rikj was onto something, 1pass is kind of like the new Wranglr5)   

Also, did you know that the new Yami's and Hondas will be going to 2-strokes?  Sure there is no information to support this, just a hunch I have - but it will happen!!  (Another 1pass great 1 liner - good stuff)

Sure, all the tests show Etec is as fuel efficient as a 4-stroke, but the independent studies are wrong (even though they are in agreement with the manufacturer.)  I have a buddy with an Opti who said he beat his buddy with an Etec! (More good stuff from 1pass)

1pass- Now I've heard everything, it's getting deep in here!  Do you actually read your posts before hitting the submit button?   

I found a debate on this very subject on the Hull Truth.  I thought it was worth referencing, as it reminded me of 1pass looking through his narrow lens: 

"Those that own Etecs will tell you that you will be a fool for considering any other motor type. They may be right.  Four stroke owners will tell you that you will be a fool for considering any other motor type. They may be right.  Then, the various four stroke brand owners will tell you that you are a fool for considering any other brand but the ones they own." 

For me, this affirms that we all like to believe we make informed purchases.  I believe 1pass's fear is that if he acknowledges Etecs (or any other motor aside from Suzuki) are a decent motor, he made a mistake buying a Yami.  When in reality, it makes him appear narrow minded. 

I'm in a great position to review Yami's and Etecs seeing as how I own one of each. I highly recommend both, and both are rated quite high in every publication I could find. Both start every time I turn the key!  

1pass, guess who has the best warranty between Yami, Suzuki, and Etec?  It is Etec, with a full 10 year warranty!  Guess the Evinrude guys have some confidence in their product and how long they will last!    However, with your inside info on the 1:5 ratio, I smell a bankruptcy coming.  Better get your Etec quick! (Note: When I purchased my Etec it came with a 5-year warranty - I never needed it)

Oh yea, almost forgot.  I boat the Wolf River a lot in Summer 1pass.  Do you think you could start boating there?  I might need a tow!  Plus you seem like a fun guy, maybe we could share a beer around the campfire or something (after your blue workhorse tows in my Etec from the abyss) 

Thanks for the humor 1pass!

3/29/18 @ 8:55 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Actually I have a nasty cold and just rolled out of bed, didn't take any time at all.  Took longer to type than to find!

Nice rebuttal of the facts though :) 

3/29/18 @ 8:46 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Must of had to dig hard for them.. took awhile.. lol. Go fishing today. Still frozen where I live.

3/29/18 @ 8:40 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

1pass-

Thank you for the morning chuckle.  You are grasping at straws my friend.  Consumer Affairs rated Yami's too!  Did you bother to read them?  I took a screenshot from the exact same source as your post.  I've attached it for your viewing pleasure.  Some very unhappy Yami owners out there!  

I've also attached another screen shot about folks who have issues with their Suzuki.  

Point being is, type into google the name of any outboard manufacturer followed by the word problems.  You will have all sorts of hits.   This proves nothing - no manufacturer is spared, which is why until now I have not posted any of these types of reviews - they are meaningless.  I could find 100 folks who love their Yami and another 100 that don't.  The same can be said of Etec, Mercury, or any other outboard manufacturer.  

Some really fine detective work there!

Please don't confuse the above with actual ratings, everyone has issues with their outboard at some point.  Also worth noting is that most folks are more likely to post their outboard motor problem, than how happy they are.  When was the last time you saw a thread on the LL Boating Thread created for no reason other than for someone to say "I like my Honda".  The threads typically start out something like: Motor does not idle, or Motor kills at high rpm, or something similar.  

In regards to your rebuttal on fuel consumption - it is not up for debate. Good grief, you sound foolish!

Try going to Toyota to tell them they are mistaken on their advertised fuel economy.  It just doesn't happen.  There are a number of variables that go into fuel economy to include speed, wind, waves, boat design, boat weight, number of passengers, amount of gear etc.   

When the fuel economy is tested for publication purposes the variables are removed - It is not subjective!  Also, what would Boats.com's motive be to print false information?  They tested all outboards.

Can you image the lawsuits if Boat.com stated that Yami's fuel economy was 15.5 GPH when in reality it was 8 GPH.  Once again, you know a guy who knows a guy who says his Etec gets lousy gas mileage.  It's laughable!

To bad you've deleted most of your posts.  If they were still there you could go back and read them to see how foolish you sound.   

When you are presented with facts, you simply say they are wrong with nothing to back it up other than "you know a guy"  I could post the HP at the prop of an Etec, and you'd just say that it was wrong.  Kind of tough to have an open discussion with you.  

Lastly, Etecs are two strokes, they have perfected it.  They are lighter, have more torque, same fuel economy, and same emissions of a 4 stroke.  They are not going anywhere anytime soon.  Once again we are left with your opinion and no facts to back up a single thing you've said. 

You can ignore the facts all you like - it changes nothing.  

3/29/18 @ 7:30 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Just a prediction. Eventually all 4s.

Good point fellow Grandpa.. But some better than others.

Note Consumer Affairs rating of E-Tec

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE