Winter Boat Storage

11/1/14 @ 10:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BLACKMAX
BLACKMAX
USER since 1/5/06
I was told that you should fill your tank with racing fuel for the winter. Racing fuel has a 1-2 year self life. Has anyone tried this.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
11/11/14 @ 9:49 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
USER since 6/26/01
I agree with the rest. You were only told about the stable factor of the fuel and not its impact when you fire it up in the spring. I would also think that it would blow your power head when that kind of high octane gets ignited in an engine like a outboard.

If you try it, please tell us know 1) cost and 2) how it worked for you when you fired it up. Love to hear if you reduced your engine to a piece of scrap metal.

Post Your Comment
11/11/14 @ 9:10 AM
Major Mark
Major Mark
MEMBER since 5/20/05
I'd fear the "grenade" factor with a powerhead upon spring start up. With most modern (non high performance) engines being designed for 87 octane fuel, I would highly doubt they could withstand racing fuel in the 102-105 octane range. My '93 Merc gets fed 92 octane non-ethanol premium fuel, my '05 Optimax stated only 87 octane.

Post Your Comment
11/11/14 @ 7:15 AM
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
USER since 7/3/06
The money you're going to spend on that you would be cheaper driving to the nearest gas station that has non-reformulated gas and filling up with that. Try this link to find them.

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=WI

Post Your Comment