Why Evinrude and Johnson?

4/9/14 @ 3:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hjfishn
hjfishn
USER since 2/17/08
After being without a boat for a few years and recently retired I thought I would buy a good used boat. I have been checking Craig's list Wisconsin. By far most of the boats have either an Evinrude or Johnson motor. I know they are both made by Evinrude. I am sure Mercury,Yamaha,Honda,Mariner and others are good units as well and have been around for a long time especially Mercury. Does anyone have a reason why they are more popular?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 40 Posts
9/29/14 @ 11:17 PM
radioman
radioman
MEMBER since 5/19/03
I've got a 1988 Johnson 60hp and have been using the gas with 10% ethanol for years and have had no problems what so ever. I always put in Marine Formula Sta-Bil with every fill up, too. I'm on the water everyday. Therefore, I use a lot of gas. Maybe I've just been lucky. BUT,I did ask my Marine Tech about using that gas and he told me, that as long as I'm adding something like the Sta-Bil or Seafoam, there should be no problems. So far, he and I have been right. Not trying to start ANY argument(s)! Just stating my honest and true experiences.

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 11:41 AM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09
If anyone has been using the gas with 10% ethenol in ANY Motor made before 2000 you are asking for trouble!Most if not all are carbureted,and every gasket,fuel line,seal and diaphragm will be damaged or distorted by that Goverment mandated GARBAGE!Use ethenol FREE Gas it is wort the extra money!

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 8:09 AM
Princecraft01
Princecraft01
USER since 8/25/14
I have a 1995 evinrude 70hp on my boat and I'm 30secs away from putting a bullet through it! It ran fine the first week I had it but its been one issues after another. First had to bring it in because the top carb was shot. Got it fixed and now it wants to die every 45secs at clutch ahead. When I was I. The coast guard we had mainly Honda 4 strokes and I loved them because I barley had to work on them because you can't break them.

Post Your Comment
8/4/14 @ 2:13 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
never had to take my 4 stroke in for winterization.

Post Your Comment
8/2/14 @ 9:32 PM
bass2403
bass2403
USER since 10/15/03
My new boat has a 40 e tec love it runs great, don't need to take it in to winterize it.

Yamaha makes a good motor too, but I wanted usa made.

E tec is made in Wisconsin ,KEEPS PEOPLE HERE WORKING.

mercury lost me when they started making small motors in china.

My old boat has a 1993 evinrude ,still runs great, starts first pull.

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 3:27 PM
ml2trick
ml2trick
USER since 6/18/01
ibfishn, You are so right on,"when saying the new e-tec 2 strokes. Are by far a better motor and less maintenance then some 4-strokes. But all motors are good if maintained. Been working on outboards for a living for 30 years. Seen a lot come and go. Sweating

Post Your Comment
6/25/14 @ 10:02 PM
Frosty142
Frosty142
USER since 4/4/14
I have an Evinrude E-Tec 175 on my boat. Going on 10 years now and ZERO issues. Well maintained every fall before going to bed for the winter. Starts up every time and I would not consider any other motor.

Everyone will have their opinion and own preference, but I will pass along a very positive recommendation for these motors.

Post Your Comment
6/22/14 @ 6:35 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Don't know about that Fish Fillet... You see more of them because there are a lot of them out there.

When Johnson was still making outboards they were extremely popular. Did anyone not have a Johnson 9.9 growing up? Heck, they have not made Johnson outboards in years, and they are still easy to find.

As for present time, Evinrudes are made in Wisconsin, as are Mercs. Stands to reason that you are going to see plenty of boats for sale with either a Merc., or an Evinrude on back. Did you ever go to Janesville when GM still had their plant open? 9 out of 10 cars driving through town were made by GM.

Also JB I agree, everything Yami makes is reliable. Their snowmobiles, outboards, or waverunners. My Dad has a Yami on back of his pontoon, great motor.

Edited on 6/22/14 7:47 AM
Post Your Comment
6/22/14 @ 12:12 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
We have a family gathering place on the water. Current PT boat has a 25 Evinrude E-Tech. This is used by everyone in the family, once in a while some nitwit will leave the main power on. I can turn it on and pull start it in 2 pulls. Previous (20 year old) PT boat had a 40 Merc. was always a question of choke it, crank it, advance timing, crank it. It's warmed up and might start again if you can rub your belly and pat your head at the same time.

Edited on 6/22/14 12:13 AM
Post Your Comment
6/21/14 @ 8:54 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
the OP says "why are they more popular".. I say, why are there more used boats for sale with those motors. seems the other boat owners with the other motors are keeping them.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 40 Posts