Which Boat would you buy and why?

2/2/15 @ 3:04 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Rancher
Rancher
USER since 2/21/02
OK got it narrowed down to the following tiller models and need to make a decision. Starweld 1682 TL Crestliner Fishhawk 16 Lund 1650 Rebel XL Alumicraft Classic 165 Tiller All equipped the same. 60 HP Fourstroke w/Big Tiller handle – (Not Command Thrust) 3rd Seat Trailerable cover Humminbird 859ci HD DI Combo Minnkota Terrova 55 with US2 iPilot Link System What are your thoughts, any dealers to recommend in southern Wisconsin?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
2/12/15 @ 3:52 PM
Rancher
Rancher
USER since 2/21/02
Thanks for all the info. I decided on either the Alumacraft Competitor 165 or the Crestliner 1650 Pro Tiller and will be going to the Terrova 80 24 v. ipilot also. Just decided on a bit longer and wider boat.

Here is the question where would you mount the iLink Hummingbird on the stern or bow. I plan on having locators front and back but not sure which where???? Any ideas do I put one the same model on stern and bow?

Also wave wackers and stern mount trolling motor. Your thoughts?

Edited on 2/12/15 6:39 PM
Post Your Comment
2/9/15 @ 12:14 PM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
You might want to rethink your Terrova 55 if you have room for a third battery. I have a 1988 SeaNymph 175 BT with an 05 Merc. 60 4S. I put the 24v W/80 pounds of thrust Terrova with I-Link and it works great. A friend of mine once told me "he has never met a guy who complained he had too much trolling motor power". I think he is right, if you want it it's there, if not it runs under lower power and saves batteries. Just something to think about. Watch your prop size with a 60 4S. I got the Motor from American and they thru in a 15" black max, no good, put a 13 Black max on prior to even getting it broke in. I then went and tried 2 different stainless 13" props until I ended up with a 13 pitch Merc. prop, think it's called a spitfire? I can finally get out of the hole good with 3 guys on board.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
2/8/15 @ 5:24 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
i would go with the alumacraft over any of them lighter and thicker hull.

Post Your Comment
2/5/15 @ 1:55 PM
bonz-dragon
bonz-dragon
USER since 6/16/09
Not a tiller but I've been using a 1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 for the last couple years and have to say that at 27 years old this hull is still solid and dry.

Before this I had a 1984 Lund S14DLX that too was solid and dry and to this day is now owned by my younger brother and is used all the time.

So my money would be on an Alumacraft or Lund.

Post Your Comment
2/4/15 @ 3:35 PM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
All nice boats! The Lund and The crestliner will have a good resale-not to say the others wont. The Crestliner has no rivits-thats a good thing-but my 2004 Lund has never leaked. Its tough. I would get in each one and try to get a feel for the way you fish. I personally guide out of a 1800 Lund Tiller explorer. My 90HP Honda is great-but my re-sale isn't that hot because most people want a console and the 90 tiller is to much motor for some to hang onto. another thing to look at is the trailer-bunk or roller? My next boat will be a bunk trailer with a electronic winch-easier to load that way. make sure the trailer has a fold away tongue or is short enough to fit in the garage.

Post Your Comment
2/4/15 @ 2:13 PM
Rancher
Rancher
USER since 2/21/02
Thanks for all the info, does anyone have Charles email at Cabelas?

Post Your Comment
2/4/15 @ 10:30 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
another vote for Cabela's at Richfield... got as good a deal as anywhere and the folks there are great to deal with ( Charles ) heh

I got the 165 Competitor with 70 Yammie tiller... love the motor, but at times, I wish I would have got the Merc with the big tiller option, but no regrets either way long run

Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 4:19 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
MEMBER since 3/27/02
I bought a new trophy 175 alumacraft last year at Cabelas in Richfield. They had the best price out of 5 dealers. the service and people are AWESOME!!!!!!

Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 1:47 PM
Diesel
Diesel
USER since 7/2/01
I would stop in at Cabelas in Richfield. I have nothing but good things to say about the sales and service there. Purchased my alumacraft there in 2013. The sales manager and service manager still know who I am and my rig. Not because of work done on the boat and motor though. Just good folks who were honest, keep their word and helped me get the most for my money.

D

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 8:49 PM
musky1011
musky1011
USER since 7/4/05
I have a alumacraft classic 165 steering wheel model.. The only complaint is I wish it was deeper.. I have a 75hp optimax on it. 40mph on gps. Bought this boat at cabelas.. Cheapest by about $900 this was in 2010

Edited on 2/2/15 8:54 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts