MEMBER since 6/30/01
Any thoughts
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
4/25/16 @ 5:21 PM
Bama Fisherman
Bama Fisherman
USER since 1/19/03
I've been looking at center console aluminum boats for quite a while now. About 6 weeks ago I found a 2013 old new stock online that is about 3 hours drive from me but the 2 times I have inquired over the phone I get quoted a price that is within decimal dust of the original MSRP. I'm talking 3K over what NADA would consider the boat's worth the second I would leave the lot. The last time I actually inquired if the price would drop if I just placed cash on the counter. The owner replied that all they take is cash and to please not call again unless I was ready to pay their asking price. If I don't find one that fits my needs I guess I'll check back again in the fall but dang eventually they have to come off the price I would think and with my luck it wont be when I am in the shop.

Post Your Comment
4/11/16 @ 12:09 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
My take on this question is it depends on several things. If you are selling your boat, the best time to sell is in the Spring, like right now. Everyone goes to the Sport Shows and gets sticker shock, right now is the best time to sell a used boat.

Best time to buy a boat. Typically in the fall is the best time to buy a used boat. The person is done with it for the year, maybe not quite cleaned up or winterized, and perhaps they do not want to store it for the winter. This can lead to decreased prices.

Best time to buy a new boat, if you are ordering the boat from the factory because you want certain options or colors, now is the best time, because many times you will get manufacture rebates whether on the boat or motor or both or accessories like a free boat cover. Even if you are buying a stocked boat, now is a good time to buy, because the rebates and free accessories still are available. However those rebates and free items dry up typically within the next couple of weeks or so.

Another good time to buy a boat, is to buy the bran new model year boat. Model years change in July for boats, so you can order for example this July a 2017 boat, and 2016 prices. Typically the next year boats are available before the price increases.

Another option for buying a stock boat is in fall. Because the new model year boats have come out, and the dealers don't want to carry over an old boat if they don't have to, nor do they want to pay interest on that boat over the winter either, so you can save some cash there.

Now boats have model years, I think most engine manufactures have gone away from model years, and just sell the motors as new motors regardless of when it was manufactured. So a motor might had a plate that says it was manufactured in 2015, but it is still considered a new motor, not a hold over. However there are deal to be had on motors that are 2-3 years old still new in crates.

That is my two cents!!

Post Your Comment
4/11/16 @ 6:30 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I tried to sell my Bass Boat end of summer, fall last year, and there wasn't many people except tire kickers. Will get it ready to go when it quits freezing at night.

Post Your Comment
4/10/16 @ 7:40 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
USER since 8/20/07
when you have the money, buy. when you need money, sell the s.o.b.

Post Your Comment
4/9/16 @ 6:10 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I have always found late summer or early fall is the best time to buy. But before late fall when they have put money into storing inventory for the winter. It is out of season for sales guys so they are not making many deals plus they like to get ride of things to avoid inventory carrying costs and associated payments.

I have also found late winter to be the best time to sell when people start to get the itch.

Post Your Comment
4/8/16 @ 8:18 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
It's hit or miss. I find late fall prices are high, guys must think they are worth a ton or just not ready to really sell. Also, around opener to late June they are high. Mid summer they are low and late winter. I bought my current boat in February, it was -18 the day I went to pick it up and I think I got a good deal. I sold my prior boat in May and got a good price, could have gotten more based on the number of guys that set up appointments to see it, but I got what I thought it was worth. But, it's hit or miss. You got to find the right seller. I don't know where you are from, but the Minneapolis Craigs list has a ton more boats for sale than say Milwaukee's. Don't limit your search and be willing to walk away if seller does not meet your price.

Post Your Comment
4/7/16 @ 8:57 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I have noticed that in terms of used boats, the $10-$15k price range seems to go pretty quick. A nice boat will show up on Craigslist and be gone in a day or two. Or just a decent deal in general, lots of people looking in spring like this.

I actually sold my old boat in 2.5 hours on Craigslist and I got exactly what I paid for it 5 years ago. Can't complain about that!

Back in February I had seen a brand new 2013 at a dealer that they marked $8k down to move it. I missed out on it by a few days apparently...won't find one like that too often. It was weird to have a leftover for that many years in the first place.

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 7:32 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
MEMBER since 3/27/02
In February of 14 I bought a left over 13 for a great price with all the rebate and warranties!

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 7:01 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
buy one after its been up for sale for 2 years, then offer cash and be ready to walk away if they dont accept your best price.

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 4:51 PM
Quester
Quester
USER since 1/28/07
Used boat buy in the fall, sell used boat in the spring or summer.

New boat at boat shows in the spring or left over in the fall if they have what you want.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts