What to do with an old outboard

6/8/15 @ 9:22 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
I have an old 1974 20 hp Mercury that blew a cylinder last year and I am wondering what to do it. I have never parted anything out or done ebay but I was wondering if it would be worth my time to try and part it out and make some money back or would it be better to just take it to the scrap dealer and sell it for the metal? It is just taking up room in the garage and it laughs at me every time I look at it.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/9/15 @ 10:32 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Heck post it on Ebay or better yet Craigs list. Somebody might need a part or something off there . i know several people that have bought old motors for the motor covers alone. You wont get much for scrap.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
6/9/15 @ 6:25 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Thanks for the input. The motor has many new parts and I have an extra lower unit and a new prop for it. I was hoping for around $200 which gives me a little room to wiggle with the price if need be. Just need to get it out of the way.

Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 4:13 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I had a 1974 85 hp Merc that blew a cylinder about 15 years ago. I got $200 for it at a local shop for the lower unit and parts. Your motor is likely worth more than just scrap as previously mentioned.

Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 3:18 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Couldn't tell you. I'm not a good judge of what stuff is worth. You could also try calling places that service motors. They might be in need of some used parts and would maybe have more of an idea of what you've got would be worth.

Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 1:28 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
What would you call reasonable?

Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 12:01 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Can't hurt to put it out on Craigslist for a reasonable price. If the lower unit is any good, that alone would be worth something. Give it a week or two and if no bites, scrap it out.

Post Your Comment