What kind of kicker motor?

3/23/16 @ 12:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tucansam
tucansam
USER since 5/23/08
Need some help guys and girls. I have a 2008 Alumacraft Navigator 165 Sport with a 90hp Mercury Optimax motor. I am looking to put a kicker motor on it for trolling and was wondering if I really need the Mercury Pro tiller for $3200, or if I can save a grand and get a regular manual 9.9hp mercury. With either one I'm going to put a troll master on. Thanks for all your help, Rick.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
4/13/16 @ 9:43 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
So I am/was like you. I have a 96 competitor 170 tiller with a 60 mariner. I too couldn't spend the $$ on a pro kicker or a t8/t9. I ended up with a 97 9.9 mariner reg ol tiller for $700. I mounted it on starboard and it's been great for 8 years. Don't let it bounce is the key. Balance is another. Mine is fine and rides well, but I off set weight of the kicker by putting the battery on port side. Sure it is not the best to deploy and stow, but the cost certainly was the key. A pro kicker is better and more user friendly, but you can do it without too much trouble. When looking for a kicker, and having to settle for a "non kicker" I would definitely look for a 2 cylinder opposed to a single and or a 4 stroke. They will run A LOT smoother, and the 4 stroke won't smoke you out on a calm day. Just my .02 but if cash is king, it will be fine.

Post Your Comment
4/11/16 @ 12:21 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Right, get a kicker rather than a small motor. Guy below was correct, Merc's are made by Tahatsu. Guess what so is the Evinrude kicker, it's a Merc Pro Kicker painted a different color. Don't be afraid of those motors. If you want to spend less $$, you are right, you don't need the Pro Kicker, you don't need power trim & tilt, nor do you need electric start. However all them things are nice to have too.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 8:10 AM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
My understanding is that most of the motors in the 10 hp range are the same with different stickers basically. I believe as someone else stated tohatsu makes them. I will throw a shot out to Mercury. I have a regular old 2002 four stroke 10 hp on the back of my boat. The motor has more than 5000 hours on it. One coil replaced in 2010 is the only issue I have had with that motor. General maintenance each season. I have been planning on replacing it for years but it just keeps running.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
4/3/16 @ 4:53 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
I've been looking at the merc six horse single cylinder on YouTube and man do those things vibrate.

Post Your Comment
3/29/16 @ 10:15 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Kens in kaukana $2599 right now

Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 7:32 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
FYI there's a Yamaha T8 on the trading Post right now but I feel that $2000 for a 9 year old kicker is a little high.

Post Your Comment
3/26/16 @ 10:37 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
IMO get a real kicker instead of a little hp motor. The stronger bracket and smoother running is worth the extra money plus electric start and an alternator. I have a Yamaha T8 and it's unbelievabe except that it's cold starting.

Post Your Comment
3/26/16 @ 9:29 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
I have a Navagater also, I put a standerd 8hp electric start Tahatsu on it for 1500$ works fine.That boat is light, I can see a pro kicker for a heavie 621 or other bigger heavie boat,but you do not need the lower gear ratio for a boat that light.

Post Your Comment
3/25/16 @ 11:19 PM
JRMusky
JRMusky
USER since 9/5/09
I have a 5hp 4stk merc as my kicker and I'm pushing an Alumacraft Navigator 185. It calmer waters I can just get 5mph out it. The real key to kicker motor horsepower is that the lager horse kickers will get you up to speed faster and make it easier to maintain a speed in a chop.

Post Your Comment
3/25/16 @ 8:16 PM
Chiro-Chris
Chiro-Chris
USER since 4/8/13
A few thoughts. I've a 2014 alumacraft 165 competitor sport. I've looked at pictures of your boat. The rear looks a lot the same. Jalenski in Racine set mine up. He was very concerned about weight and balance of the kicker on my 16.5 foot boat. I've a 90 hp Yamaha. Not the lightest power plant on the water. I've a 24 volt bow mount so the two size 27 batteries in the middle help even things out. I ended up getting a 6 hp yamaha. The single cylinder is louder than my 90 hp. However vibration is tolerable. It works great. Locks in the ""out of the water" position. Locks in place in whatever direction you want,so no messing with bungy cords or anything to keep it from bouncing or wiggling around. Works great and pushes me to 5 mph when fishing for salmon and trout. The boat isn't so big you are going to normally want to fish 4 footers on plane and tear the mounts loose. The mounting is not flimsy at all. On Walleye Central a guy has a 9.9 kicker on his boat. His 165 competitor sport lists to that side. . . My 6 hp removable yamaha fits my needs fine. My boat doesn't list at all. I'm satisfied.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts