Boats & Motors

Water Pump Change

7/9/18 @ 9:08 AM
INITIAL POST
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

'04 Merc 115 Four Stroke EFI

Anyone have an idea how difficult it is to change the water pump?

I did one on a 25HP Evinrude, years ago and it didn't seem that hard.

Watched some youtube videos and my biggest worry is the shift linkage I guess.

Any thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 37 posts
11/23/18 @ 7:10 PM
latecatchr
PRO MEMBER User since 10/7/12

2 sets of hands makes it too easy. Put it in gear before you remove the lower unit. If it won't align turn the emergency switch to off and touch/bump the starter while one person puts pressure on the unit.

8/19/18 @ 3:10 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Jared.  I finally got it out today for a ride on the river with my wife and son.  It pumped just fine.  I ran the final few miles back to the launch a few RPM’s below redline.  When I brought it off plane, I ran back to feel the temp of the stream and it was luke warm.  The river was at 81 degrees so I think we’re golden.

8/9/18 @ 4:21 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

BT,

You ever get on the water to test your pump?

8/3/18 @ 6:49 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Congrats Jared!  I haven’t gotten mine on the water yet.  Too much going on but may have time once we get the boy moved into his dorm in a few weeks.

8/3/18 @ 5:17 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

FINALLY got my motor back together and got out today.

Shift linkage was being a um, not so nice. While mating the lower unit, I had my buddly slowly jockey the shifter and boom popped right up. Much easier two person job.

There was hesitation in the stream with the muffs,

When we got on the water, the thing was like a garden hose. Happy it worked out, finally.

7/25/18 @ 7:28 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

BT,

I have had some old muffs as well. 

I got some new ones from Amazon for like 10 or 11 bucks and they "dual flow" meaning they feed from both sides.

Muffs

7/24/18 @ 6:24 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Check it on a lake , mine pisses way more than that and I know I need to change the pump . But I have 1984 Evinrude 2 smoker 

7/24/18 @ 6:05 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I got my project back together last weekend and tested it this evening.  I think I got it but would have been happier with a stronger piss stream from the motor.  My muffs are old and small so maybe it will pump more efficiently in the water.  I’m thinking that after replacing the entire pump, it’s either going to work or not work.  Here’s a video of it in idle.  Let me know what you think.

Pumping OK?

7/19/18 @ 8:56 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

fltlndr,

That was my first thought.

I'll try the taps first. The less drilling/pounding I have to do on the alum, the better.

I appreciate the suggestion.

7/19/18 @ 8:09 AM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Jared you could also get a helicoil from an auto parts store.

7/19/18 @ 7:11 AM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Doesn't hurt to run the original size tap first, otherwise yes you will need to go up a size. Use plenty of oil on the tap.

7/19/18 @ 7:05 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Thanks Risto.

Good call on the tap, didn't think of that. I've been so discouraged with this damn boat, its really getting old.

Good thing is my dad left me at least a few hundred dollars in taps and dies.

Do I need to go one size up or just retap the threads? I am assuming one size up since it doesn't replace metal.

7/19/18 @ 6:54 AM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Here's a pic from my 125 Optimax.

Stripped hole - head to fleet farm and get yourself a tap & die kit for $40.

7/18/18 @ 6:03 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

BT,

That's what I did, following the youtube video with 1.5 mil views, same motor.

I got a new impeller and gaskets. Dealer said housing looked fine. No grooves, nice and smooth.

Went to put it together tonight Using 1/4 drive, extension and deep socket. Stripped one of the holes. I didn't even torque on it.

Ugh...

So, the "fins" are bent when installed, obviously. 

Which way should they be orientated (left or right) when looking down on driveshaft?

Any suggestions on the stripped hole?

7/18/18 @ 5:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I haven’t gotten my motor put back together yet but the water pump is in the lower unit.  It doesn’t seem that hard but I almost installed mine backwards too.  Drive shaft spins clockwise so if you have the housing facing you and upside down, you gotta install so it spins counter clockwise.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 37 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE