Using an Older Minn Kota Auto Pilot

6/30/14 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ladyloves2fish
ladyloves2fish
MEMBER since 8/23/12
Hello - the boat I recently purchased came with a Minn Kota Auto Pilot – MOM CON does anyone have any information on how to use it? It had an older Eagle Finder - but that doesn't work and I am curious to use it because the Minn Kota Auto Pilot does operate. I wrote to Minn Kota requesting an owner's manual - not sure if that would have much in it. Anyone have any suggestions? I heard that you could buy an electronic adapter and it would work with a newer iPilot - but Minn Kota told me that there was no way to upgrade this unit. I have a Humminbird 859ci Hd Di Combo Down Imaging Tm Transducer. I also have a Lake Master SD card. So, I was curious on how to use all of this stuff. It's a bit new to me - I have only been Pan Fishing and now I am trying to take things up a notch. LadyLuvs2Fish
Edited on 6/30/14 10:00 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
6/30/15 @ 1:20 PM
fishfouranything
fishfouranything
USER since 6/30/15
Big Musky12 Just wondering why you think the older Power Drives cannot be upgrade to an ipilot?

Post Your Comment
7/12/14 @ 8:40 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
I always tell people that the auto pilot is like power steering in your car. For me, its the first button I push when I deploy my trolling motor.

I'm assuming you figured out the MOM-CON? If not, it stands for momentary and constant power.

Middleton1, thanks for the info. I may convert my old 55PD-USAP. We're gonna be in Three Lakes next month. Time to check if there are any other parts needed for my Minnkota stuff.

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 6:42 PM
ladyloves2fish
ladyloves2fish
MEMBER since 8/23/12
Thank you - I am going to look into this Middleton1 - I have a baby brother who I want to "one-up" when he comes to Wisconsin this august.. I want to catch Walleye and show him his sister can get it done.. I also clean my fish much better than he does - and my Walleye breading - well, let's just say, it's a little bit of heaven.. Smile Thanks!! I will check this link out!!

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 3:37 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I am so mad to read this. My board went on my Power Drive last winter and I argued with Minn Kota for a long time about upgrading to support Ipilot and they swore it would not work.

ugh.

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 2:30 PM
Middleton1
Middleton1
USER since 6/19/01
You can convert an older Powerdrive V1 trolling motor to use the Ipilot. I think that's what you are asking. It involves buying a new circuit board.

The step by step instructions are here: http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175029&highlight=convert+powerdrive

I did this with my 2003 Powerdrive V1 and it works great. The investment $500 total, with the ipilot and circuit board.

Minnkota does not endorse this, that's why they said it wasn't possible.

You can get circuit board here: http://www.northlandmarine.com/MinnKotaQuickRef.htm

Edited on 7/1/14 2:32 PM
Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 9:13 AM
ladyloves2fish
ladyloves2fish
MEMBER since 8/23/12
Thank you for the clarification, that is what I needed to know. I has seen a forum that showed someone who upgraded his older unit to make it into an iPilot, but I think mine is too old - it's pre-2007 and Minn Kota told me that they couldn't upgrade it. I want to learn how to operate it and gain more experience in trolling, I am hoping to learn to catch Walleye and I understand that they tend to be on the move - so, that's why I was asking. Besides, it came with the boat, I'd like to use it. Take care & thanks for helping me out.

Post Your Comment
6/30/14 @ 3:12 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
basically you point in the direction you want to go and it keeps you heading for that point

Post Your Comment
6/30/14 @ 3:11 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
Auto Pilot and I-Pilot are different technologies.

Auto Pilot = Electronic Compass I Pilot = GPS

Only Ipilot systems can link with Humminbird graphs.

You cannot upgrade older Power Drive trolling motors to IPilot.

The way autopilot works is that you push a little button on the top of the motor head and the electronic compass will keep motor point in direction is was pointed when you pushed button. I recommend only doing that when motor is in constant on mode if you have any wires running down trolling motor which I suspect you would since down imaging does not work with Minnkota universal sonar/transducer in motor head.

Post Your Comment