Used boats and motors. Re-powering options.

4/30/16 @ 7:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
MEMBER since 1/24/05
I've been looking to upgrade to a bigger boat with more power. I would prefer to find something with an Evinrude E-Tec. Just my preference. But most of what I am finding have Mercury, Yamaha, Mariner and even one that had a Suzuki. I am just wondering about finding a good deal on a boat and Re-powering with an E-Tec. What all is involved? And is it really worth it? Also some of the boats, 16-17ft, have 40 to 60 HP motors. Those seem to be underpowered boats from all the posts I've read about getting the most HP you can get. I'm looking for Alumacraft 165, Lowe FM165S, Lund 1600-1700 Explorer type of boat. Also seen a nice 16ft Tracker Deep V. Just something bigger to carry my family of 4. Why do you think there are very limited number of boats that have an E-Tec motor?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
5/5/16 @ 8:59 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I haer you on wanting an E-Tec, I want a Mercury, but really it just comes down to the Ford and Chevy deal.  I drive a Ford and I Love my Mercury.

Post Your Comment
5/5/16 @ 12:29 PM
jbird68
jbird68
MEMBER since 1/24/05

I am picking it up on Saturday,

Post Your Comment
5/5/16 @ 10:47 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

You will like the Opti. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
5/2/16 @ 10:08 PM
jbird68
jbird68
MEMBER since 1/24/05

Well,  i looked at the boat I found and it has a 2006 90hp Optimax. I asked the dealer about Re-powering with an E-Tec. He said that would be another $5000. Guess I'll just keep the Optimax. The boat is sweet. With 3 seat bases on the bow. Has 4 seats for the family and spacious. 

Post Your Comment
5/2/16 @ 5:11 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Yes, they are in Rhinelander. Like Lakeshiner stated, it is certainly worth calling around. Rhinelander was a 4 Hour drive for me, but certainly worth it to save 1,500.

Post Your Comment
5/2/16 @ 12:27 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I bought my boat with an E-tec at Galles Marine in WI Rapids. No idea what their prices are on just a motor though, but its another E-tec Dealer. Also Simonars if you are in the GB area or American Marine and Motorsports. I'd call around and get prices, worth the drive if you can save good money.

Post Your Comment
5/2/16 @ 5:22 AM
jbird68
jbird68
MEMBER since 1/24/05
That's a long drive for me. Didn't you say they were in Rhinelander?

Post Your Comment
5/1/16 @ 6:33 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Call Shoeders Jbird, I bet they save you at least 1K...

Post Your Comment
5/1/16 @ 6:15 PM
jbird68
jbird68
MEMBER since 1/24/05
In my original post I said most of what I am finding on Craigslist and other sites either have Mercury, Yamaha or Mariner. I don't find a lot of used boats with E-Tec motors.

I did find out that BRP is offering free rigging for E-Tec motors through June 25th. So, Re-powering may be an option.

Post Your Comment
5/1/16 @ 7:32 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
"Why do you think there are very limited number of boats that have an E-Tec motor?"

The answer can be found by looking at which boat brands are subsidiaries of the Brunswick corporation. Brunswick is also the parent company of Mercury Marine. If Brunswick has flesh invested in Mercury Marine along with Crestliner, Lund, Lowe, Bayliner, etc... they are not going to be too keen on allowing new boats under those names be sold new with an etec, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts