Trolling motor or battery problem

5/21/14 @ 10:20 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Asleep at the Reel
Asleep at the Reel
USER since 3/23/12
I have a bow mount Minn-Kota 24 volt system that I'm getting very little run time on. The motor is 12 years old and acts up once in a while. Batteries are 2 years old. Is there a way to test the motor to see if it is using more juice because of an electrical issue or should I assume I need new batteries? Thanks for any help for a non-electrician.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
5/25/14 @ 9:44 AM
bassaddic
bassaddic
USER since 8/20/07
might want to check all your connections for corrosion also, not just at the connectors but behind them also.

Post Your Comment
5/21/14 @ 9:12 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I have sent trolling motors to Minn kota for rebuilding . I used Spee Dee delivery and the price was not bad UPS price was high. Had the motor back to me in 9 days.

Post Your Comment
5/21/14 @ 11:58 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I had this a few years back, turned out to be a blown fuse in wiring from dual bank charger to battery.

The Guest brand charger I had at the time reported them charged, but only one was.

I also had a battery that reported charged on a single MinnKota charger this spring that would turn my 55pd on small boat about 30 seconds then die.

I'd check the wiring/fuses first, see if you have 24v at the socket with a multimeter, then try the batteries with multimeter for 12V each. Good luck with it- hate this kind of stuff.

Post Your Comment