Trolling Motor Extention Cord.

3/28/16 @ 10:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinfool1
fishinfool1
USER since 3/14/10
I fish alone sometimes in my 12' Aluminum Boat. With my weight,the weight of the Motor and Trolling Motor & Battery puts the Bow up to high for my liking. I want to move the battery more towards the Bow and not near the Stern. I don't want add sandbags or other weight to the Bow. Any ideas as to this would be great. I was thinking maybe cutting the ends off of Jumper Cables and splicing cords together. What do you all think? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
4/29/16 @ 7:50 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
In my sons boat, have done that too. Trouble with the gas can is if you put 5 gallon can in the front of the boat that is perhaps 40 lbs where a battery can be anywhere from 50-75 lbs depending on size. Also, the gas can is a declining weight where as the battery is a constant weight.

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 7:43 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Not sure if this really helps you or not and it's slightly off topic, but I recall seeing a small boat one time that had the gas tank up in the bow with just a long hose to the motor. Could be a way to distribute at least some weight up front. Not sure if the long hose would cause issues though.

Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 1:31 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
Cabelas has 6 gauge marine bonded wire for $4.99 a foot. Do it correct right away and never worry about it again!

Cabelas Bonded Wire

Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 10:44 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
CDS, good idea on purchasing the jumper cables.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 4:07 PM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I would not assume 8 gage is heavy enough wire. You should understand how many amps your TM draws and then calculate the total run length. Then look up on a chart to determine how heavy gage wire you should use. Check Goggle there are several Amp Draw, Length = gage charts

I rewired my TM circuit last year and installed a master shutoff switch under my console, my 80 lb 24 volt Terrova draws 56 amps. The chart told me I needed 4 gage.

If your wire is not correct, things get hot and that's how fires happen.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 10:07 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Tim mentioned that 8ga wire isn't cheap...but jumper cables are,and they're often 8ga wire.

I've bought cheap jumper cables,cut the clips and installed TM-compatible plugs. Never had a problem with them.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 9:42 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I have done this before on my son's 14' boat as well. I hit up the local marine dealer and purchased some 8 gage wire, it was not cheap, but worked just fine.

Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 5:27 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Just make sure that you mount your battery box well. The problem you might have with a front battery is the pounding from hitting waves might damage your battery.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 10:19 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04
alot of boats have bow mount trolling motors with batteries in rear. You are basically doing opposite.

If you get a battery box for the bow, I think you can terminate directly to the posts it provides. You can probably buy red/black 8 awg wire cheaper off a spool than getting jumper cables and then just terminate it yourself. I would put some kind of disconnect at trolling motor side though in case you want to unplug it.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/trolling-motor-accessories/quick-connect

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/electrical/battery-boxes/power-box

Post Your Comment