Trolling Motor Extention Cord.

3/28/16 @ 10:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinfool1
fishinfool1
USER since 3/14/10
I fish alone sometimes in my 12' Aluminum Boat. With my weight,the weight of the Motor and Trolling Motor & Battery puts the Bow up to high for my liking. I want to move the battery more towards the Bow and not near the Stern. I don't want add sandbags or other weight to the Bow. Any ideas as to this would be great. I was thinking maybe cutting the ends off of Jumper Cables and splicing cords together. What do you all think? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
4/29/16 @ 7:50 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
In my sons boat, have done that too. Trouble with the gas can is if you put 5 gallon can in the front of the boat that is perhaps 40 lbs where a battery can be anywhere from 50-75 lbs depending on size. Also, the gas can is a declining weight where as the battery is a constant weight.

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 7:43 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Not sure if this really helps you or not and it's slightly off topic, but I recall seeing a small boat one time that had the gas tank up in the bow with just a long hose to the motor. Could be a way to distribute at least some weight up front. Not sure if the long hose would cause issues though.

Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 1:31 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
Cabelas has 6 gauge marine bonded wire for $4.99 a foot. Do it correct right away and never worry about it again!

Cabelas Bonded Wire

Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 10:44 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
CDS, good idea on purchasing the jumper cables.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 4:07 PM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I would not assume 8 gage is heavy enough wire. You should understand how many amps your TM draws and then calculate the total run length. Then look up on a chart to determine how heavy gage wire you should use. Check Goggle there are several Amp Draw, Length = gage charts

I rewired my TM circuit last year and installed a master shutoff switch under my console, my 80 lb 24 volt Terrova draws 56 amps. The chart told me I needed 4 gage.

If your wire is not correct, things get hot and that's how fires happen.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 10:07 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Tim mentioned that 8ga wire isn't cheap...but jumper cables are,and they're often 8ga wire.

I've bought cheap jumper cables,cut the clips and installed TM-compatible plugs. Never had a problem with them.

Post Your Comment
4/5/16 @ 9:42 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I have done this before on my son's 14' boat as well. I hit up the local marine dealer and purchased some 8 gage wire, it was not cheap, but worked just fine.

Post Your Comment
3/31/16 @ 10:32 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
you don't have to, but it's highly recommended that you use marine wire, plus be sure to get the proper gauge for the length of the run from battery to trolling motor...

http://www.marineelectronicsjournal.com/content/newsm/news.asp?show=VIEW&a=67

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/Battery-Selection---Rigging/

Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 5:27 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Just make sure that you mount your battery box well. The problem you might have with a front battery is the pounding from hitting waves might damage your battery.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 10:19 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
alot of boats have bow mount trolling motors with batteries in rear. You are basically doing opposite.

If you get a battery box for the bow, I think you can terminate directly to the posts it provides. You can probably buy red/black 8 awg wire cheaper off a spool than getting jumper cables and then just terminate it yourself. I would put some kind of disconnect at trolling motor side though in case you want to unplug it.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/trolling-motor-accessories/quick-connect

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/electrical/battery-boxes/power-box

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts