Trolling motor batteries, what are the best to buy?

3/19/15 @ 10:08 AM
ORIGINAL POST
borgy
borgy
MEMBER since 8/14/07
I'm going to purchase new 31 batteries for my 24V trolling motor and wondered what you guys have had for experience with what batteries. I had two of the AGMs from farm and fleet and can honestly say I did think they were any better than else. Opinions welcomed!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
5/20/15 @ 2:54 PM
toyman2k
toyman2k
USER since 5/15/02
figured I would toss my 2 cents in here. Just replaced my Fleet Farm lead acid deep cycle batteries 79. bucks plus 10 if no core to return. Last me 5 years still decent yet losing some power so just replaced with 2 new ones. running motorguide W75 w/ sonar 24V

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 9:19 PM
Mr.Pinch
Mr.Pinch
USER since 5/17/15
Almost every service center recommends using interstate lead acid batteries. The AGM batteries, just don't hold up over time. I think it's very telling that the cheaper lead acid batteries, would be what is recommended.

Post Your Comment
5/16/15 @ 8:02 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
In reality there are only 3 battery manufactures out there so in many cases different brand names are in fact the same.

The big advantage of AGM is that you can lay them on there side or up side down, so if you don't need to do that???? Do you really need them? Some say AGM batteries are more durable but the manufactures don't make that claim.

Deep Cycle Batteries for boats should last 7 to 8 years. Taking care of them correctly is the key.

1. Make sure you get a battery that is made for what you are using it for, the letters and numbers on them mean something and not every battery is made for the same thing. Call a service tech from a manufacture and tell him exactly what you are doing and he will recommend the correct battery. You can find these numbers on-line.

2. Always charge them after every use.

3. Make sure the fluid levels are good, and add distilled water when they go down.

4. Make sure you are using a charge that is made for the type of battery you are using.

5. If you have a 24 or 36 volt system (always disconnect the circuit when you are charging the batteries).

5. In the off season store your battery fully charged in the coldest environment you have. This will slow down the chemical reaction of the Acid and Lead so they last longer. There are colder places than the basement.

6. If you have an onboard charger that automatically shuts off you can leave it plugged in all winter. But will you be there to unplug it in the event of a fire???? Plus you really shouldn't have to leave them plugged in.

Like others have said, Interstates are good but so are Northerns.

Good Luck and have a good day. Smile

Post Your Comment
5/15/15 @ 10:44 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
The expensive or odd batteries (Optima)depending on where you purchase them might sit on the shelf for a long time. If you think someone is going to charge them every 4-6 months you are wrong. Interstate batteries are generally good, depends on the volume the dealer moves.

Post Your Comment
5/14/15 @ 12:52 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
I've wondered for a long time if the 75 buck ones from Fleet are that much inferior to the 400 buck ones.....I have to say I've had the same 2 Fleet batteries for the trolling motor for at least 4 years now and they are holding up really well. I keep them charged year round, recharge daily when on week long outings and only once have they have never been drained dead by the trolling motor (fishing a river against the current 3 days in a row while camping). The factor I wonder about is this: Do the new trolling motors use the battery that much more efficiently older models? Last year I bought a new Minnkota, replacing by 8 yr old unit. I'm curious if this one will use less juice.

Post Your Comment
5/13/15 @ 4:54 PM
hook, line&sinker
hook, line&sinker
USER since 4/18/07
I think Interstate batteries are very, very good. My son has the original interstate batteries in his 2001 alumnacraft boat and again this year they are as good as the day he bought the boat. I put them in my boat (starting, trolling) and they are great.

Post Your Comment
5/8/15 @ 9:57 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I use Pro Guide 27 series batteries. In my book it is always better to over battery than trying to cut it close. I push my batteries to the limit and charge daily. Actually I have a three bank charger It is just part of the daily process to plug the charger in as soon as I put the boat on the lift. Wrong or not my batteries charge 365 days a year. With all of the electronics running the cranking battery takes as much use as the trolling batteries do. Have a great day and lets go fishing!

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 2:31 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER since 2/17/05
I just picked up the Everstart Maxx 29s from Walmart the other day. Had to get three. Hopefully they will last, I got 5 years out of my last batteries and I think the onboard charger helps extend the life.

Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 2:08 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
You can spend anywhere from $100 to $450 per battery. Decide what is right for you as far as your pocketbook goes. Are you a tournament fisherman that is draiing his batteries completely 2-3 days per week, or are oyu the casual fisherman that might use 50-75% of his batteris periodically. Biigest thing is take care of your batteries. Recharge them after each use, and make sure that they are fully charged when you put them away for the winter. I have had great success with Interstate batteries. I charge them after each use. In the winter I do not take them out of my boat, I charge them before I put the boat away in the winyter, and plug the charger in for a day or 2 once a month. I have repeatedly gotten over 8 years on my batteries by taking care of them this way.

Post Your Comment
4/4/15 @ 10:48 AM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I've also had very good luck with interstate batteries. Lasted over 6 years in my last boat.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts