Trailer lights

7/6/14 @ 1:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
gater
gater
USER since 11/25/07
I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado & a 2013 shoreliner trailer, the brake lights & blinkers work on the trailer till I turn the head lights on in the truck then nothing works. Dose anyone know what would cause this or how I can trouble shoot it?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
7/12/14 @ 2:22 PM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
USER since 4/3/14
I agree that some WIRELESS trailer lights would be a big seller. Wisconsin and trailer wiring do not go well together and a wireless sending unit seems like much less hassle.

Post Your Comment
7/10/14 @ 12:46 PM
gater
gater
USER since 11/25/07
I have a converter, but the extension is to make the wires reach the trailer. It has a ground wire on the truck side that I have no were to ground. I'm going to pull some wire out of the trailer to try to reach the truck without having to use the extension.

Post Your Comment
7/10/14 @ 8:59 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
are you just extending the wires to add length ? (extension), or a converter to change it from the round plug to the flat plug in for the trailer ?

have had trouble with the converter plug at times, is a head scratcher too, usually just clean the terminals and it works again...or at times it will blow a fuse under the hood. just don't trust it.

as far as just an extension, if it is wired the same as the truck and trailer, it should be grounded and work, SHOULD is the key word here.

I'm with nihsif on checking to see if they are wired the same.

good luck, let us know what you find out, may have the same problem at some point.

Post Your Comment
7/9/14 @ 5:20 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
no expert, but if the extension isn't working correctly, maybe it's the wrong one, or defective ... might be worth a trip to local parts store to get tested or verify is the right type... just tossing that out there

Post Your Comment
7/9/14 @ 9:20 AM
gater
gater
USER since 11/25/07
I looked into it a little and found that the extension that I use to get from the truck to the trailer is not grounded. When I take that out the lights work fine. I don't know how to ground the extension because I take it off when I don't have the boat on. Thanks for your input.

Post Your Comment
7/8/14 @ 4:29 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
did have a problem now and again with the old tail lights if I backed into the water without unplugging them, cold water_hot bulb, done with.

6 years ago I put LED tail lights on the trailer and have not had a problem....do periodically do a quick clean of the connection is all, they are double sealed so I don't unplug them to back in.

imagine now that I was bragging about that, they will quit working tomorrow Speechless

Post Your Comment
7/8/14 @ 10:10 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
When is someone going to come up with a quality wireless trailer lights? Sure everyone if they own a boat has had issues one time or another with their wiring. To me seems like this would be a hell of a seller.

Post Your Comment
7/7/14 @ 10:41 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
if your turn signals and brake lights work, it sounds like a short to me, depending on what kind of lights you have it could be as easy as checking the bulbs to make sure there is not a broken filament shorting out, or maybe just a good cleaning of the connections. Ground is an easy fix too like others have posted. Good luck....

Post Your Comment
7/6/14 @ 5:42 PM
Northwds
Northwds
USER since 6/20/14
Pretty sure I agree....the ground wire needs to be cleaned up. Same problem two years ago. I unbolted the ground wire and cleaned up the area with a wire brush, reconnected and good to go. Lets us know if this works.

Post Your Comment
7/6/14 @ 5:12 PM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08
Sounds like a poor ground. Clean up were the ground wire is connected on trailer. Also clean the plug connections. Should be a white wire if wired properly.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts