To repair or not repair?

10/30/15 @ 10:44 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gunny03
Gunny03
USER since 5/16/06
1989 Bass Tracker Magna with 2005 60 hp Mercury Four Stroke EPI ! Motor won't start, estimated repairs, $1,500 to $1,800! I was told motor has good compression, good spark but won't start apparently problem is fuel pump, fuel related issues, maybe even injectors! Bad gas due to being left in boat/ motor for too many years without being ran! Bought EVERYTHING to refurbish boat, seats, pedastals, bases, carpet, marine ply! Just don't know if I want to sell as is or get repairs! Was going to refurbish and sell! Does that price seem high for repairs? Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
12/3/15 @ 10:11 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I just sold a boat with that motor this past spring. It's a good motor, had very little problems with it. Taking out all the old gas and adding non ethanol gas with some carb cleaner would be a good start. Too much electrical on the engine to start tinkering. If it still does not run, take it in to a good shop. Even at $1500 you will be able to sell it for more, or just keep it.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
11/28/15 @ 1:01 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
Did you ever solve your issues with the Mercury motor?

If you didn't, I would like to recommend taking it to the Boat Doc in Lomira. He is the best Mercury dealer in Wisconsin. Fair prices, honest, plus it will be fixed right the first time. I know it may be a little drive for you, but it will be well worth your effort.

Post Your Comment
11/27/15 @ 9:35 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
I would put the money into the motor. It seems you could do better than $1500 too. Say you can get it done for $1,200 by someone that knows what he is doing. That would be worth it. The key is have a good mech. to find out what is wrong instead of finding out on the water he didn't know enough about the problem. A good mech will be the deciding factor.

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 11:21 PM
GARY J
GARY J
USER since 1/26/12
Ok, doesn't look like there's too many that will give some advise. Start by squirting some gas into the air intake - try to 'fire it up'. If it does, then you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

Post Your Comment
11/8/15 @ 8:11 AM
Blkhwkbob
Blkhwkbob
USER since 5/27/09
That Lodi place: their advertised price on used boats is so unbelievably high I just laugh when I see them. I figure if that's how they price things, I'd be scared to go in for service.

Post Your Comment
11/7/15 @ 12:03 AM
GARY J
GARY J
USER since 1/26/12
Being a mechanic for 40+ years, I need to know IF you have ANY mechanical aptitude at all. Other wise, messing around with 'it' could make problems worse than they already are.

Post Your Comment
11/6/15 @ 11:52 AM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
I bought my current rig from them in 2011. The purchase, along with the service after the sale have been very negative experiences for me. I tried to get some feedback before I purchased from them and could not get any replies.

I am not going to air out my whole experience with them, but I will not give them any type of positive feedback for any perspective customers for the future. I will just leave it at that. Buyer beware!

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 8:06 AM
joeblue83
joeblue83
USER since 5/15/13
examples?

Post Your Comment
11/4/15 @ 8:13 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
tuffy2 whats wrong with lodi's boat repair shop. have been going there for years without a problem

If were talking about the same dealership, then your expectations are very low.

Post Your Comment
11/3/15 @ 7:53 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER since 2/17/05
Just throwing this out there since I'm a shop teacher. Maybe talk to a local high school teacher that deals in small engines. We always have stuff coming into our shops to fix and is a good learning experience. Buy the parts and they do the labor for a donation to the program. Just an idea. We've done everything from Weedwhackers, tractors, diesel engines and outboards.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts