To fill or not to fill?

10/17/15 @ 1:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
chrome-dome
chrome-dome
USER since 4/4/13
For witner storage is it better to have a full gas tank or a near empty gas tank? I have a 90 hp 4 stroke and the gas tank is built in (22 gallons). I winterize my own boat.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
12/3/15 @ 1:33 PM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I have done it both ways, only had a problem once when I had drained it down but didn't top it off all the way in the spring. New boat has a 33 gal tank so I top it off with additives and only use non-ethanol.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 11:34 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I agreee with Ihuntandfish below, will probably be a 50/50 split on what to do. Yes Ethanol gas is hard an smaller engines with small orifices, and I run premium in all my small motors (trimmer, snowblower, lawnemower chainsaw etc). I belive that most outboard motors built int eh past 10 years have been designed to run on 87 Octane gas which contains Ethanlol.

I always winterize my own boat and use the pink Stabil stabilizer. I used to fill my tank full believe in then there is less room for condensation. For the pat few years, I have filled my tank before my last outing, stabilized that gas, used what ever amount of gas that I used typically abotu 1/2 tank, then fill it up in the spring before I go out. Have not had any issues either way.

By the way I used 87 Octane gas with Ethanol in my motor.

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 9:25 AM
popi
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
I store my boat 1/2 of dec,jan,feb,1/2 of march.I run only ethenol free,I have a fuel/water separator/filter inline to my engine(f150). I fill up end of season and put no treatment in at all.Never any problems.

Post Your Comment
10/20/15 @ 5:58 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I only use no ethanol gas, put some Stabil in before last trip so it's in all system fuel.

Fill up before storage, always works fine in the spring. Had a 150 HPDI before, F150 now.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 8:08 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
I've been doing the fill method for years. Can of SeaFoam or some Stabil and it fires right up every spring. Mine doesn't sit too long though. Pretty much December and January. As soon as the Dells opens up I'm back in the water.

1997 60hp Mariner. Owned it since '01.

Bottom line: Avoid the ethanol gas if you can.....in everything!

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 6:31 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Brad, I have done the same thing for the last 3 years. Premium gas only. Run sea foam all year. Then gas sits for 4/5 months and haven't had a problem! Knock on wood.

Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 7:30 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
I have run into both sides of this. Most things I read now say with the crappy 10% ethanol gas is fill to 95% and use a storage additive like Sea Foam or Stabill. This is to cut down on space for moisture expansion. This is what I do with my guiding boat for storage but I spend the money the last couple fills and put premium gas in too. So far so good.

On another boat I own that does not get used much I opted to go with the run it down put in additive then fresh gas in the spring. This boat has not run quite right all season and is currently in the shop getting the injectors cleaned and gas drained.

Moral of the story is I will be winterizing with with premium on my guide boat and I will be only running premium in the boat that does not get used as much. I am also now storing all my mowers, ice augers and other engines that do not get used as much with premium to prevent any issues with bad gas.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 8:38 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I think if I had to store my motor I would use the method that empty and drain treat too. Especially if you have 10% crap gas. fresh gas in the spring will be the best bet. I am lucky that I get to use my boat just about year around but I feel for you guys that have frozen water.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 1:10 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
my routine has been to fill the tank to the brim with a double dose of additive, per mfg recommendations, then make sure to run the motor enough such that the treated fuel gets into all parts of the fuel system in the motor...

done that with a 2003 merc 90 2 stroke and a 2012 Yammi 70 4 stroke stored in unheated garage

so far that's been working for me

but have read reporting to the opposite, like was mention earlier, that also works

common denominator seems to be proper deployment of additives

reason I do the fill method is to mitigate water in the fuel tank from condensation ...

the Yammi has an additional fuel/water separating filter, which has to help, especially with ethanol fuels... that I avoid

Post Your Comment
10/17/15 @ 7:11 PM
Quester
Quester
USER since 1/28/07
I fill mine and treat it,I also have a 90 hp 4 stroke,no problems.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts